Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Never say never

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Thanks all, a good day at the office not quiet the result I wanted but a PB is a PB Right !!!

Tell us more?????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Thanks all, a good day at the office not quiet the result I wanted but a PB is a PB Right !!!

Only back from knock you over for week or so Flu, so PB of any sort
    fantastic result, well done today,great day at the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

K Club 10km - watch time 56.33 Avg pace 9.04 still waiting on the official time but hoping its a pb :)

Really wasn't sure how this one was going to go, this was supposed to be the race that I was going to get the 10km pb in this year as I hadn't broken this pb in 2015 and really if I am honest felt I was capable of a sub 56 in this one. The pb for this distance is 56.51 from the Samsung night run in 2014 clocking 57.49 in the Great Ireland in 2015 for this distance. But with my recent cough and cold and lack of running as a result, I wasn't sure if the body and fitness levels had a different idea. So following a conversation with the "the Great one" I was just told to out and enjoy it and if I got a pb well and good. So that was the plan. In my head I was going to aim for 9 min miles and then see what happened. So travelled to Straffan with Mrs KennyG and two others from park run which was great to have company beforehand and under the supervision of Mrs KennyG she brought us through a warm up session in the car park another runner even joined in with us suitably impressed with Mrs KennyG's coaching skills. All warmed up we went up to the start line where I chatted to Martha Stew and I think Jake1970 whizzed passed me warming up for the race, couldn't see you after that Jake so apologies you were gone by before I got a chance to say hi.

1 to 3 miles splits 8.40, 9.06, 9.05

Bit of confusion for me at the start as I thought it was a chip time race so when they started the race I was waiting for the timing mat to start my watch, but when they said this was chip time they meant at the finish ! So probably need to add a few seconds onto the watch time to deal with this confusion but eventually started the watch anyway. The day was perfect conditions for the run and it took a while for the crowd to thin out and get into a steady pace. Found myself running with a Crusaders runner and pretty much ran with her the whole race. Pace felt good for the first mile and clocked 8.40 felt good and was running steadily was happy to bag those extra few seconds.. The conditions of the roads are not great in places and there was some very large pot holes which thankfully runners ahead of us pointed out to avoid injury. I found myself slightly ahead of the group I was with but aware of the Crusaders runner on my shoulder who was matching my pace. But was going well and enjoying the run. Felt good.

Miles 4 to finish splits 9.21, 9.14, 9.06

Found from Mile 3 to Mile 4 the mile that really tested the body and where my pace dropped, this was where the front male runners lapped me I was very jealous of them finishing as I turned left for the 2nd loop of the course. There was a bit of a wind against us in this section and felt a bit of a drag on this mile could feel it in the legs and body starting to slow down. I am so used to running in races where there is a lot of runners so found it very strange on this stretch that the gap had opened up considerably between the pack ahead of me and our pack which was 2/3 runners and at times you were running on your own on these country roads with no supporters, so that took a bit of getting used to as it helps to have someone nearer to you to try and keep pace with. Wasn't happy with this split and the sub 56 was slowly disappearing but decided to cop myself on and remind myself that I was out to enjoy the experience. As I turned the corner I could see the final stretch towards the K club ahead of me but also a lot of runners who had completed the course were now doing their warm down running in the other direction, well jeal of them ;(

Turned in towards the K club with less than a mile to go, I started to kick the legs up this was down hill and I could feel the pace starting to increase took a quick look at my pace on the watch and was belting at 8.45 so was really happy with this if I could just keep it steady. Crusaders runner was still on my shoulder and getting a lot of support from club mates going in the other direction on their warm downs. Thankfully for me Martha Stew passed me here and gave me a shout out and I belted on with the finish in sight still keeping on pace. I thought it strange that there were no marshalls to direct us where to go and when we came to the roundabout I shouted which way do we go, to realise left and right brought us the same way (doh ! homer simpson moment!) so me and crusaders runner decided we would go for left. I could see where we had started ahead so started to up the pace and sprint to the finish and left the Crusaders runner behind at this point (FBOT has always told me don't be looking at your watch at this stage just belt it out and go for it - which I did) however this was not to be the finish line I soon found out as I heard Mrs KennyG roar at me to c'mon keep it going and to go around the corner. What corner ??? Then I heard the park run girls also say run around the corner. Continued to run legs were shouting at this stage and I was thinking where the Fxxk is the Fxxking finish line as there were no marshalls to direct (the disadvantages of being a slower runner !!) and a lot of finished runners standing around chatting and heading to the refreshments which was really off putting. Eventually saw a corner so went around this and then another corner and then eventually saw the finish line and Mrs Kenny G was there to help me try and get some speed back into the legs. Was really pxssed off with my finish as I just couldn't hold my sprint pace after I realised what I thought was the finish wasn't the finish line but sure its all a learning at the end of the day.

So thoughts from the days race ? Its a great race I really enjoyed it apart from the finish but maybe this is a learning for me to check the course before I race. It was also a learning for me that I need to adopt different tactics for races where numbers would not generally be as big as the race series etc and how to mentally deal with big gaps in the running packs to spur yourself along. Any day you race is a good day. A PB is a PB even if its a few seconds (still to be confirmed). The refreshments are unreal afterwards and we tucked into sausages in rolls (some very unflattering photos of myself and Mrs KennyG on facebook enjoying our food Im afraid) and cakes more cakes and scones and tea which was lovely. Its a nice flat course and definately one that you could get a good PB in. Overall happy I got to run it, happy the fitness is getting back to where it was before my cold, while its not the result I would have liked I'll take it and the year isn't over yet.

annapr wrote: »
    Tell us more?????

See above !!

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Only back from knock you over for week or so Flu, so PB of any sort
    fantastic result, well done today,great day at the office.

Still waiting on the official result but hoping it's a pb as I had a bit of a mix up at the start with watch so we will see. Good luck on long run tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Well done, Mrs Mc, hope the official result is in your favour! Bummer about the confusion over the finish line, nothing worse when you're on your last legs. I saw someone else mention that too on the BHAA super thread so must have been plenty affected by it. Good cake though by the sounds of it :D.

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Well done, Mrs Mc, hope the official result is in your favour! Bummer about the confusion over the finish line, nothing worse when you're on your last legs. I saw someone else mention that too on the BHAA super thread so must have been plenty affected by it. Good cake though by the sounds of it :D.

Good cake always makes things better :) thanks G.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Well done! I got caught out at the start last year too, looking for the starting mat! Hope you're relaxing now.

chickey2 wrote: »
    Well done! I got caught out at the start last year too, looking for the starting mat! Hope you're relaxing now.

Glass of wine in hand as we speak :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Me too, but I didn't even run today! Enjoy, you deserve it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Well done! You weren't the only one to get caught by the finish - my clubmate was horrified too at the 'on and on' finishing straight :eek: Recover well, in both senses of the word: race and post illness cos your immune system is pretty taxed after today ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Well done Mrs Mc, whether its a PB or not that is a great performance after coming back from illness.

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Well done! You weren't the only one to get caught by the finish - my clubmate was horrified too at the 'on and on' finishing straight :eek: Recover well, in both senses of the word: race and post illness cos your immune system is pretty taxed after today ;)

Thanks DG will do. Glad it wasn't just me.

jake1970 wrote: »
    Well done Mrs Mc, whether its a PB or not that is a great performance after coming back from illness.

Thanks J well done you too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Well done A, pity about finish line - they must have changed it from last year. It takes some getting used to racing in a smaller field but personally I much prefer it to the throngs of the race series, you can't beat a good club (or bhaa) race. Dunshaughlin has a grest 10k in June with big numbers & super feed afterwards :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Well done A, pity about the confusion there but well done on the pb!

Firedance wrote: »
    Well done A, pity about finish line - they must have changed it from last year. It takes some getting used to racing in a smaller field but personally I much prefer it to the throngs of the race series, you can't beat a good club (or bhaa) race. Dunshaughlin has a grest 10k in June with big numbers & super feed afterwards :)

Well maybe that's one I should aim for thanks AM.

diego_b wrote: »
    Well done A, pity about the confusion there but well done on the pb!

Cheers D best of luck tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Well done today. Saw those photos alright and...well... Plenty of hot dogs to be had in Boston :)

Killerz wrote: »
    Well done today. Saw those photos alright and...well... Plenty of hot dogs to be had in Boston :)

Thanks J :) will be avoiding hot dogs or certainly watching for cameras in the vicinity of having hot dogs in future !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

oh good, so the Boston training is going well :D

good report above, lots of learnings to take from that race for you... that experience will stand to you. to even get close to a PB after being sick and out of sorts is a good result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Super well done A. One 10km race down and inroads being made. AM's soliciting of the Dunshaughlin 10km (food) has me all over it :D

annapr wrote: »
    oh good, so the Boston training is going well :D

good report above, lots of learnings to take from that race for you... that experience will stand to you. to even get close to a PB after being sick and out of sorts is a good result.

Boston training going very well Anna hope you can keep up !!!

denis b wrote: »
    Super well done A. One 10km race down and inroads being made. AM's soliciting of the Dunshaughlin 10km (food) has me all over it :D

Means you would be off flapjack duty !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Sorry it wasn't the result you wanted but as you say plenty to take away from it, especially after being sick recently. Lots of time this year to focus on the distance! I did Dunshaughlin last year and it's definitely an option for me to consider again this year, I'd recommend it. Loads of time to get some more training in before then.

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Sorry it wasn't the result you wanted but as you say plenty to take away from it, especially after being sick recently. Lots of time this year to focus on the distance! I did Dunshaughlin last year and it's definitely an option for me to consider again this year, I'd recommend it. Loads of time to get some more training in before then.

Thanks Laura yes lots of learnings and a good day out :) will check out Dunshaughlin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Well done A - finishing stretch sounds like a nightmare, more corners than Berlin marathon. ;). Good stuff, especially after your recent dose!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Well done on the pb Anne.

The bar pb is next up this day week :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Well done MrsMc, especially when you weren't 100 percent recently! Hope recovery continued to go well over the weekend :)

• Advertisement

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Well done on the pb Anne.

The bar pb is next up this day week :p

Ah that will be no bother to me and Anna sure someone has to make up for the three party poopers who'd let a marathon get in the way !!! See ya in Boston :)

Advertisement