Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Never say never

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

annapr wrote: »
    All the best pacers are very loud! Well done, could be a new gig for you, runs in the family after all :)

That's it Anna encouragement is everything !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

All the best pacers are very loud! Well done, could be a new gig for you, runs in the family after all :)

I remember claralara & blokic pacing the Enniscorthy half one year and absolutely screaming a man over the line, if it was me I would have chosen evasive action of some kind, worked perfectly for the man they were encouraging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Well done A, FBOT is obviously of some use......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nice job A, looked the business out there alright this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Well done on pacing gig, sounds like you enjoyed it.

• Advertisement

tang1 wrote: »
    Well done A, FBOT is obviously of some use......
    He has his moments !
    Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Well done on pacing gig, sounds like you enjoyed it.
    Yes did enjoy it I must say
    Murph_D wrote: »
    Nice job A, looked the business out there alright this morning!

Must have been the balloon D makes you look more official:D

Sat 30th April

First time outing as an official 30 min pacer at St Anne's Park Run, while I have paced a few friends to pb's this was a different matter and a duty not to be taken lightly, much to the amusement of himself who thought it was hilarious I was so nervous before leaving the house at the job that faced me that morning, men they just don't do drama. I was also in the company of royalty pacers with Yaboya and FBOT also on pacing duty so the standards were already very high !! But I was very nervous about doing it, what if I didn't do it right :eek: but the drama queen in me settled after a while and I got my official pacing balloon and was introduced to the masses as the 30 min pacer :D .... a definate milestone in my running career :D (having run 42 mins for my very first 5km in the Great Pink run some 4 years ago!). I have to say I really enjoyed this, I was a bit worried about the strategy with the new course having only run it once before and whether I should bag a few seconds on the downhill for the new hill to the finish but advice from "the great one" was to keep it at 6 mins a km until the 2nd loop and then bag a few seconds on the downhill for the last km to bring them in at 30 mins. So that's what I did, gave a few shout outs of encouragement at various stages and encouraged the volunteers at the half way mark to give us a shout at too ! Laura_ac joined us for a while as well and sprinted off to the finish as was her plan. Bagged a few seconds in the 2nd last km which is a downhill for the hill before the finish, when I looked back I had a lost a few of the group at this stage, shouted at those who wanted a sub 30 to start sprinting for the finish now and they did as told, hung back near the finish for a few seconds to encourage the runners across the line (hence the 30.11 official finish on the results page which was pointed out by FBOT, but I promise I did finish just under 30 mins). Really enjoyed pacing and would definately do it again. Splits were in km, 5.57, 5.52, 6.03, 5.49, 6.21 (was standing at the finish line for a few seconds on that last one I promise !).

Sunday 1st May 8 miles easy avg pace 10.40

Weather forecast looked awful last night for this morning but was delighted to see a nice dry morning when I got up. Organised for a few of the park run gang to meet up in Raheny this morning some wanted to do 10km and others said they would join me for the 8 miles I wanted to do. So we picked a course and text the 10km crew when we started out and they were to meet us 22 mins later after we had our 2 miles done. FBOT has been telling me of late I am getting too hung up on paces which is probably contributing to my loss of mojo so his advise was, due to the different abilities of all the runners this morning, to just go out run enjoy the company and enjoy the run, so that's exactly what I did. We did our 2 miles in St Anne's using some of the park run loop and then crossing into some little path and trail that I would never venture through on my own, to come out where we started, to as if by magic meet up with our 10km runner. We all then headed out the coast as far as Sutton Cross and it was only between chatter that I remarked that the cyclists coming in the other direction seemed to be struggling in the wind..... you'd think we would learn having done this route numerous times :eek: the wind hit us when we turned and the pace dropped during these miles. But we encouraged each other along and promise of coffee and scrambled eggs/scones in the cafe afterwards kept us going. Really enjoyed this run and enjoyed the company as I would run a lot on my own at the weekend it definately makes a difference. Off to the cafe for scrambled eggs and toast and tea afterwards, a lot of the Raheny Shamrocks gang were already in there after their morning session having a well earned breakfast. I have to say I really enjoyed this run. Splits 9.44, 10.33,10.33, 10.36, 10.41, 10.55, 11.13, 11.05. Home to complete 20 mins of stretching to included some foam rolling on the calves and hamstrings.

Thoughts for the week : I am feeling a lot more energised after this week of running, feel I have put in much better quality running rather than just going through the motions. Mojo is good after this week. I need to increase my water drinking which for some reason has been very bad of late, I need to increase my stretching which has also been really bad of late and I need to set some running plans for the coming months as there is nothing planned after the Terenure 5.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Well done A, sounds like you're top notch pacing material! Don't mind yer man, sure didn't he abandon murph the day of the big smackdown :p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Well done A. The new experience of pacing certainly heaped and threw some running rewards your way. Karma.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Nice job pacing, A! Respect!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Firedance wrote: »
    Well done A, sounds like you're top notch pacing material! Don't mind yer man, sure didn't he abandon murph the day of the big smackdown :p:p

Yeah and who said yaboya was pacing royalty??? :p

Yeah and who said yaboya was pacing royalty??? :p

Thought he was famous around these parts !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Thought he was famous around these parts !!!

Yes but hardly for pacing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Nicely done A - fair play to you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great job! You didn't look nervous beforehand but I don't blame you - pacing a 5k can't be easy! Fair play for taking it on and well done.

Tuesday 5th May

Mc Jnr had a Gaa match up in Na Fianna on Mobhi Road tonight which is about 5 miles away so as M was on taxi duty having run earlier I decided I'd run up and meet them there. Ran Griffith Ave I think only once during DCM training so was looking forward to the change in scenery. Headed off for an easy run. Decided to not pay too much head to the watch glancing every now and again but was glad to be out along with the many other runners this evening. I must have missed the post about the incline on Griffith Ave but could definately feel it in the legs. Left calf was giving out a bit but that is down to lack of stretching recently. Arrived just in time for the start of the match and a victory winning 3.15 to 3.6 made it a good day out for mc Jnr. 5 miles avg pace 10.37 splits 10.42,10.27,10.48,10.31, 10.35.

Wed 6th May

Plan tonight was 1 mile wup 5* 5mins @10km pace with 2.5 mins recovery and 1 mile cooldown. What a lovely evening 12 degrees coming home in the car from work so into the running tshirt and long running bottoms (legs not quiet summer ready yet !!:eek:) and off to St Anne's to the avenue which is the spot of choice for intervals. Was aiming for around 8.55 pace for the splits. All went well, happy enough with splits one too fast, two a bit too slow both these are up the avenue towards the entrance, is there an incline or was I just not putting enough effort in I really felt I was ??? but all in all happy with the effort. Found the 5 mins tough compared with the 4 min intervals last week maybe that's just the head messing with me also ! Splits were

1) 9.06 :mad:
    2) 8.55
    3) 8.39
    4) 9.07 :mad:
    5) 8.48

Total distance 5.7 miles avg pace 9.53

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Wed 6th May

is there an incline or was I just not putting enough effort in I really felt I was ???

Strava says there is, have a look at your lap splits and you'll see a slight difference in gradient for the (slightly!) slower reps :)

Firedance wrote: »
    Strava says there is, have a look at your lap splits and you'll see a slight difference in gradient for the (slightly!) slower reps :)

Thanks AM wasn't sure where I was supposed to look ! No excuses should have pushed harder !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

There is deffo a drag going up towards the main gate! Very noticeable when running at any sort of pace. The finish of the BHAA 2 miler in the park finishes close to the gate and the last 300m is hell ! So well done, nice session.

• Advertisement

Friday 6th May

Nieces first communion Saturday meant I had to get a run done this evening. With very little time due to a fundraiser in the club for mc Jnrs Gaa team I belted out the door as soon as I got in the door from work. Definately felt it in the legs after the intervals last night. 4 miles Avg pace 10.31. Splits 10.22, 10.40, 10.15, 10.47,

Sunday 8th May

Was considering joining the boardies for the Royal Canal run this morning but the 8.45 pick up was not really suiting me after the first communion yest so organised to go out with some of the St Annes park run gang at the later 10 am start instead. An extra hour in bed yes ! :)
    6 miles easy was on the plan was very warm out today but the company was good the chat was good and enjoyed this run. 6 miles avg pace 10.43. Splits 10.33, 10.20, 10.43, 10.47, 11.16 (went back and ran with one of the girls that was struggling for this one), 10.36. A well deserved coffee with the girls after.

Mon 9th May

Pilates class

Tues 10th May
    Rest day

Wed 11th May
    So with the graduates thread wound down Myles has given us a number of plans. I have been working off the 5km to 10km plan for the last two weeks working three weeks back from the race day working towards the Terenure 5 mile. So this week is pulled back a bit in relation to distance with the race on Sunday. Tonight was a 45 min easy :D happy days, met a running buddy at the gates to St Annes and chattered away down the avenue and around the St Annes Park Run new loop. Avg pace 10.24 total 4.7 miles I know I know should have rounded up to 5 miles but Mc Jnr had a match so had to get down to that after my run so no time for OCD tonight. Splits 10.37.10.07,10.22.10.23,10.33.

Thurs 12th May
    Tonights plan has 6 * 1min @VO2 max with 2mins rec:confused::confused: okay had to consult back to boards where I had asked Myles what CV, AP and Vo2 max meant and his answer was CV 10km pace, AP 5 k pace and Vo2 max 3 k pace. Quick consult of the table with my paces from Mc Millian that I have saved onto my phone. I didn't have anything for 3 km so worked off my 2mile times my pb is 16.26 from the Raheny winter series my Mc Millan target is 15.47 :eek: which is a 7.53 pace per mile so that was the target I guess. What a fab night. Had a lot of mammy duties tonight so it was nearly 8.45 when I got out, probably the best thing due to the heat earlier, it was still warm but there was a nice breeze on the coast. Tried to run by feel as with the 1 min intervals it was difficult to keep looking at the watch. I suddenly heard someone roar at me, couldn't work out what they were giving out about till I realised it was Ferris roaring at me not to be wearing out the path :p:p, gave him a wave and caught my breath as I was just after finishing my 6th interval. Finished off with a mile cool down. Looked at the splits when I got home, think I might have actually done these a bit too fast. So how do keep on pace without looking at your watch does it just come with experience ??? Splits are below :

1. 7.18
    2. 7.22
    3. 7.31
    4. 7.16
    5. 7.16
    6. 7.19

total 4.1 miles avg pace 10.14

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

And looking fit and fast you were too.

Brave choice of location for intervals...footpath scattered with bollards. If it was me I'd have lamped myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Hey A

Does the 2 mile pb (16.26) not work out at 15.17 on McMillan ( ie for 3km) ?. If so, then your mile pace should be 7:38 per mile.

You provided a series of splits based on pace over time (1 minute). I think that you need to run at the 7:38 pace for 1 minute and then see what distance you have covered. I hope that makes sense. The distance covered should be about the same so after one interval you will have a target end to run to presuming that you conduct your recovery along the path that you have run.

Given your target pace each interval should be around 210m for one minute. See pace guide here

Hope this helps.

Ferris B wrote: »
    And looking fit and fast you were too.

Brave choice of location for intervals...footpath scattered with bollards. If it was me I'd have lamped myself!

I usually go to the park but it was starting to get dark and sure ya never know what strange men would be roaring at ya !!!! :)

denis b wrote: »
    Hey A

Does the 2 mile pb (16.26) not work out at 15.17 on McMillan ( ie for 3km) ?. If so, then your mile pace should be 7:38 per mile.

You provided a series of splits based on pace over time (1 minute). I think that you need to run at the 7:38 pace for 1 minute and then see what distance you have covered. I hope that makes sense. The distance covered should be about the same so after one interval you will have a target end to run to presuming that you conduct your recovery along the path that you have run.

Given your target pace each interval should be around 210m for one minute. See pace guide here

Hope this helps.

Thanks Denis will have a look I miss the days where we just went out and ran !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Do you really, or is the buzz of pushing on to the next target not much better;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Then just go out and run;)

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Do you really, or is the buzz of pushing on to the next target not much better;)

Ah I suppose it is !!

• Advertisement

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Then just go out and run;)

Ah no I'm looking forward to sitting down with you to explain it all to me !!

Advertisement