Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Never say never

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Ah no I'm looking forward to sitting down with you to explain it all to me !!

I think Denis way of looking at it is easier, set distance and work out your training pace for distance. Eg. 300m repeats at 5k with rolling recovery.I think harder to to get head around time at a pace, mostly because we're used to running a distance and when u look at your watch at end of session you can
    see it as long as you remember to hit lap button.

Best luck tomorrow A. See you along the course tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

The very best of luck A!! give it socks, look forward to hearing about your shiny new PB :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Firedance wrote: »
    The very best of luck A!! give it socks, look forward to hearing about your shiny new PB :)

+1 A, hopefully it will be another day of PB's in the Mc household, run well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Best of luck tomorrow Mrs Mc, i will be wearing my boards top for my warm up so if you see me be sure to say hello.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Thanks all see hopefully it's a good one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

ENJOY !!!! Oh, wait....:o

Have a great race, don't leave anything out there !

Saturday 14th May

What a fab day for park run with only 4 runs off my 50th park run decided I would do an nice easy trot around the course with main focus of Terenure 5 tomorrow. Joined Toulouse for this run and we were then joined by KennyG who was doing his 50th park run today after already completing 19 miles. We had a good owl natter around the course and made sure G relished in the finish of his 50th run. Coffee and cake afterwards. Great to catch up with Ferris, DenisB, Murphd, Mrs KennyG, Aquinn and Toulouse today. Distance 5 km 28.51 mins. Now it's all about Terenure 5 tomorrow. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭diego_b

Best of luck tomorrow A!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Good to see you today, A, and to have someone to commiserate with!!!!

• Advertisement

Well that was sh*te.

Sunday 15th May - Terenure 5 mile official time 44.26

Not a good day for me pb was 44.01 achieved last year at this race. So what went wrong. This was definately a mind over matter race for me today and today the mind won over unfortunately. Don't know what was going on with my head today but for some reason I was just not feeling this race. The plan was to get a sub 44 at least and was aiming to run at an 8.45 pace for the first few miles and belt out the last few to get the target time. First mile went fine clocking 8.40 so well within planned time and then things just went wrong. I can't put my finger on what went wrong I am a hell of a lot fitter than this time last year when I did the 44.01 time, training has been good, I could put it down to the the day being very hot which definately contributed to it but I was just not feeling it for some reason I couldn't get into my stride. Mile 2 clocked 9.00 and then 9.05 for Mile 3 :eek::eek: I think I may need to take some of Bungy Girls recent runs with no watch as I found myself looking at the pace constantly and getting really fed up when I wasn't hitting pace. I soon started to hear the 45 min pacer behind me and I started to get really annoyed with myself. Clocked 8.56 and 9.00 for mile 4 and 5. Was not happy with this run, I didn't give it the effort it deserved and don't think I gave it the effort which was reflective of the training over the past few months. Afterwards I was glad to hear that everyone found it hard today and found the heat contributed to their difficulties in the run. I will chalk it up and move onto the next race still have to decide what that is :D Great to catch up with all the St Annes Park Run gang afterwards and with AnnaPr, Murph, AQuinn,KennyG and Mrs KennyG and Duanington. Next weeks another week. Need to decide what's next in the plan. Don't think I'll give up running just yet !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Sorry to hear it didn't go to plan Mrs Mc. Looking at the watch and getting disheartened by what you see is something that I used to do, regularly, until Meno advised I switch the screen on the watch and turn off the mile beeps. I did that for a few races until I got used to not looking all the time and it worked a treat. It was only then I discovered just how much racing is a mental battle and not just a physical one. I started my mantras soon afterwards and look how well they've served me. Find some of your own, try switching the screen to time only (as in the clock, not how long you've been racing) and see the benefits.

As I said to Myles, there's a great 5 mile in Dunboyne coming up on 31st May if you're not away we will roll out the welcome mat for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Sorry it didn't go as planned Mrs Mc, but you're in good company. I've yet to hear of anyone having a good race today.

Do try the watchless running the next time, maybe in a parkrun. I know myself from the Tallaght 5K that seeing a bad split can be really demotivating whereas if you really don't know how fast/slow you're going you're just taking your cues from how you're feeling I think you can get a bit more out of yourself. Get me, one naked run and I think I have it sussed :rolleyes:.

Meno advised I switch the screen on the watch and turn off the mile beeps. I did that for a few races until I got used to not looking all the time and it worked a treat. It was only then I discovered just how much racing is a mental battle and not just a physical one. I started my mantras soon :)

Yes think I need to try that. Thanks AM.

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Sorry it didn't go as planned Mrs Mc, but you're in good company. I've yet to hear of anyone having a good race today.

Do try the watchless running the next time, maybe in a parkrun. I know myself from the Tallaght 5K that seeing a bad split can be really demotivating whereas if you really don't know how fast/slow you're going you're just taking your cues from how you're feeling I think you can get a bit more out of yourself. Get me, one naked run and I think I have it sussed :rolleyes:.

Thanks G :)

It's all racing experience A, it all stands to you for the next one:)

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    It's all racing experience A, it all stands to you for the next one:)

True that !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Mrs Mc... you went out there and raced today. Well done. Perhaps there are things you might do differently next time and that was only learned by today's experience. No doubt, that you can run a faster 5 miler. Keep up the good work and line yourself up to have another race with some of your new ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Definitely looked tough out there today, one to learn from alright. Important thing is you're training well and you'll get your reward in another race!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Well that was sh*te.

Snap :D

You've been doing great training, it was not easy out there today, don't let it get to you too much! Glad to hear you're not giving up running just yet! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Bungy Girl wrote: »

Do try the watchless running the next time, maybe in a parkrun. I know myself from the Tallaght 5K that seeing a bad split can be really demotivating whereas if you really don't know how fast/slow you're going you're just taking your cues from how you're feeling I think you can get a bit more out of yourself. I am going to racenaked all the time now I have seen the light.

Just worth a repost..... :D:D

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Just worth a repost..... :D:D

Ha ha knew you'd like that one DG. You came into my head today the more frustrated I got with my pace thinking DG would be killing you looking at your watch so much !!

denis b wrote: »
    Mrs Mc... you went out there and raced today. Well done. Perhaps there are things you might do differently next time and that was only learned by today's experience. No doubt, that you can run a faster 5 miler. Keep up the good work and line yourself up to have another race with some of your new ideas.

Back to it next week D !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Haha, you're right!! :D

annapr wrote: »
    Snap :D

You've been doing great training, it was not easy out there today, don't let it get to you too much! Glad to hear you're not giving up running just yet! :)

Had to laugh at your report we were practically word for word the same experience !!

Murph_D wrote: »
    Definitely looked tough out there today, one to learn from alright. Important thing is you're training well and you'll get your reward in another race!

Here's hoping D :) good to see you all today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭diego_b

As I said to Myles, there's a great 5 mile in Dunboyne coming up on 31st May if you're not away we will roll out the welcome mat for you :)

Sorry to hear about the tough day at the office A, hard to put a finger on it but maybe just one of those days where it does not come together.

Here here on that, I did this race 2 years ago as my first ever 5 mile race and it's great. Fast, flat and finishes on the track, loved it and if I lived in the area I used to live near Naas I would definitely do it. In fact working in Dublin on Monday/Tuesday that week and trying to figure how I could manage to do this race and still make Kerry that night. Not really a runner but if you can do then def do it.

diego_b wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about the tough day at the office A, hard to put a finger on it but maybe just one of those days where it does not come together.

Here here on that, I did this race 2 years ago as my first ever 5 mile race and it's great. Fast, flat and finishes on the track, loved it and if I lived in the area I used to live near Naas I would definitely do it. In fact working in Dublin on Monday/Tuesday that week and trying to figure how I could manage to do this race and still make Kerry that night. Not really a runner but if you can do then def do it.

Might think about it alright. Thanks D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

It really was a tough day for racing. You will have better days and as you said yourself chalk it up and move on to the next race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

I think I may need to take some of Bungy Girls recent runs with no watch as I found myself looking at the pace constantly and getting really fed up when I wasn't hitting pace.

This shouldn't be underestimated A - I think most people are guilty of it to some extent and for me the problem can be that motivation levels plummet with a bad split or even a less than perfect section ( not necessarily bad), I used to be terrible for it but am a lot more disciplined these days - sure M will tell you, I didn't even bother starting the watch yesterday :o

It can be hard to back yourself to "know the pace" but its worth practicing in training - maybe not without the watch, just without checking it as much

Put it down to experience and move on, we can always take more from the bad days ( or less than perfect days) than we tend to. Its the great thing about running I suppose, onwards and upwards :)

Advertisement