Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Never say never

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Susandublin

Think one of the hardest things to do is to get back into jogging after a long period off and doing it in the mornings before work. The first morning getting back into it is possibly the most difficult thing one can do. Anyone thinking of getting back into running I'd like to encourage to get over this difficulty as the rewards are great. Love this log too - great to see progress documented like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

jake1970 wrote: »
    It really was a tough day for racing. You will have better days and as you said yourself chalk it up and move on to the next race.

Definately all down to experience at the end of the day and sure it was a good day out ! :)

Duanington wrote: »
    This shouldn't be underestimated A - I think most people are guilty of it to some extent and for me the problem can be that motivation levels plummet with a bad split or even a less than perfect section ( not necessarily bad), I used to be terrible for it but am a lot more disciplined these days - sure M will tell you, I didn't even bother starting the watch yesterday :o

It can be hard to back yourself to "know the pace" but its worth practicing in training - maybe not without the watch, just without checking it as much

Put it down to experience and move on, we can always take more from the bad days ( or less than perfect days) than we tend to. Its the great thing about running I suppose, onwards and upwards :)

Yes I have definately got worse as I used to run without a watch before and was one of those people who ran with headphones and run keeper telling me my splits. I know disgraceful headphones ! M is telling me I'm getting too hung up on pace even in training so will definately need to amend this. I do agree that the effect on the owl head when you don't hit pace was not good for me yesterday ... I even considered walking at one stage I was so fed up .... That's bad for me. Anyway as you aside onwards and upwards.:)

Think one of the hardest things to do is to get back into jogging after a long period off and doing it in the mornings before work. The first morning getting back into it is possibly the most difficult thing one can do. Anyone thinking of getting back into running I'd like to encourage to get over this difficulty as the rewards are great. Love this log too - great to see progress documented like this.

If no excuse of a long period off unfortunately Susan was just not in the right frame of mind yest plain and simple

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Bad day at the office for a lot of people - it was very hot out there too.

The positive to take away is that you are pi$$ed off. That'll stand to you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

I wouldn't be too disheartened with that performance. We're having our first few days of warm weather and you've trained hard all winter in the cold and rain. If it's any consolation the heat is killing me as well. You learn something from every race.

Bad day at the office for a lot of people - it was very hot out there too.

The positive to take away is that you are pi$$ed off. That'll stand to you!

Yeah I guess it shows I care !!!! What have I become !!

I wouldn't be too disheartened with that performance. We're having our first few days of warm weather and you've trained hard all winter in the cold and rain. If it's any consolation the heat is killing me as well. You learn something from every race.

That's it M we are still novices at this running lark I guess learning new things at every race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Yeah I guess it shows I care !!!! What have I become !!

your husband :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Monday 16th
    Pilates tonight with lots of stretching which was welcomed after the run yesterday. Looked at strava last night looking at my Terenure 5 stats from last year to discover I had dropped pace at the exact same spots last year while running with pacers, must remember to do this before the races in future so that I least if I know pace may drop with inclines in certain spots I won't be getting so fed up with myself.

Tues 17th Rest day

Wed 18th
    Mc Jnr had a match in Raheny tonight so dropped her off while FBOT walked up with the dog. Met up with Mrs KennyG while the pre match warm ups were going on and we headed out the coast to Sutton and back into the park to finish off the run. Lovely evening enjoyed the chats and got 6 miles done avg pace 10.35, splits, 10.25, 10.34, 10.45, 10.40, 10.49, 10.24 back over to the pitches to take in Mc Jnrs game.

Thurs 19th was to be interval sessions but life and work gone in the way so pushed this to Friday.

Friday 20th another crazy day in work meant working late and then bringing work home to continue work till 10 that night so planned intervals never happened again.

Saturday 21st with only 3 runs left to my 50th park run, making sure I try and get these runs in before my holidays in two weeks. Joined Toulouse and PJD for this one and we leisurely trotted around the park run course enjoying this run time 27.50. Token sorting and capuchinos afterwards and celebrations for Murphs 50th park run. Good to catch up with everyone afterwards.

Sunday 22 Working later today so no way was I going to miss this one as well so up early and met with Mrs KennyG and some of the park run gang in Donaghmede and we headed for Baldoyle the coast and then back to Father Collins park to finish off the last 2 miles. Company makes these runs go so much faster. Very warm out there today was glad of the breeze when we hit the seafront. Deserved a nice capuchino after that one. 8 Miles avg pace 10.09 splits, 9.47, 9.48, 10.04, 10.25, 10.09, 10.28, 10.17, 10.10. We had a faster runner with us today leading the charge so she definately worked us hard I had forgotten to change my watch back to miles after park run so I let her dictate the pace, think Ill leave her do it more often as I am quiet happy with that effort.

Trying to keep the mileage at at least 20 miles a week but with the dropping of the interval session this week mileage is only 17.3 miles so some forward planning is required I think as I have two similar type weeks coming up before holidays so will need to make sure I get my runs in. At least the working weekends has stopped for the moment so that should help a bit.

• Advertisement

Monday 23rd May Pilates with kettle bells :)

Tuesday 24th May rest day

Wednesday 25th May night out planned so grabbed a quick 4 miles around the park before heading out, don't tell BG but I'm really liking the new Tarmac path around the perimeter. Ssshhh :) avg pace 10.18, splits 10.07, 9.56,10.30, 10.37.

Thursday 25th Another night out with work meant a rest day today

Friday 26th 3 miles with 5 * 100m strides with 100m rest. Headed to the Clontarf Road for these, using 2 poles fast 2 poles recovery, Lap splits pace was 6.43, 6.58, 6.59, 6.30, 7.03

Saturday 27th St Anne's park run time 26.27, hot one out there today but an enjoyable run with the usual coffee afterwards. Set off with the 25 min pacers but couldn't hold the pace by km3, PB is 25.37 from Father Collins Park so advise from FBOT is to aim initially for the sub 25.30 and aim to keep pace on the 3rd km and then progress onto keeping pace on the 4th km, baby steps and Ill eventually get there rather than getting fed up during the run when I am failing to keep up with the pacers. He talks some sense ! Placed 3rd female in my age category (the owl wans).:D According to strava it was my best 1km effort, my best 1 mile effort and my best 1/2 mile effort - so some positives and some progression ! Looking forward to my 50th Park Run next weekend. Not flying out on hols till Saturday evening so have to go to Park Run for this milestone event.

Sunday 28th Needed to do 10 miles to make sure the weekly mileage hit 20 miles, another beautiful morning this morning so I ran up to Raheny to meet up with Mrs KennyG and another park run buddy and we headed around the park run loop onto the coast and onto the beach for this one. Fantastic day, finished up back in the park where we parted ways and I ran home via the shop for the chocolate milk I had been dreaming about from about mile 7. Enjoyed the run. Splits 10.56, 10.46 (shouldn't have had that last drink last night was feeling a bit sluggish), 9.49, 10.31, 10.31,10.50.10.54,10.20, 10.18, 10.48. Total 10 miles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Great going A....

Were you measuring your 100m against the light poles on the sea front? D swears that 4 of them is 100m....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

annapr wrote: »
    Great going A....

Were you measuring your 100m against the light poles on the sea front? D swears that 4 of them is 100m....

Think it's a bit short of 3, actually, not counting the one you start from. :p

Crap ;( ..... It's all a learning exercise at the end of the day !!!! Thanks for info will know the next time. Maybe that's why I enjoyed it !

Crap ;( ..... It's all a learning exercise at the end of the day !!!! Thanks for info will know the next time. Maybe that's why I enjoyed it !

Well you took shorter recoveries too, don't forget. No one said strides have to be 100m.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Well you took shorter recoveries too, don't forget. No one said strides have to be 100m.

The running gods do !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

100m @6:45 - 7:00 pace is roughly (very roughly) about 25 seconds. So maybe you could do 25 seconds, jog back to where you started, repeat and so on. Just a thought.

100m @6:45 - 7:00 pace is roughly (very roughly) about 25 seconds. So maybe you could do 25 seconds, jog back to where you started, repeat and so on. Just a thought.

Good idea thanks for input :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Think it's a bit short of 3, actually, not counting the one you start from. :p

+1 D. Each section between lamp posts is just over 40m.

• Advertisement

The strides in the club warmup before a session are usually about 60m. It's all about getting the benefit of a change of pace. I reckon. Distance is not that relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

we're supposed to measure strides? Damn...:o

Duanington wrote: »
    we're supposed to measure strides? Damn...:o

Apparently who'd have thought measuring and watching pace where did running for fun go ????? :)

FBOT01 wrote: »
    +1 D. Each section between lamp posts is just over 40m.

Oh... You people!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Enjoy the anniversary Parkrun this morning Mrs Mc.

denis b wrote: »
    Enjoy the anniversary Parkrun this morning Mrs Mc.

Thanks Denis hope you're coming there's cake !!!

Thanks Denis hope you're coming there's cake !!!

HAPPY 50th A!!!!!! Enjoy the cake, make sure you earn it. Won't be able to make it to cheer you on.

annapr wrote: »
    HAPPY 50th A!!!!!! Enjoy the cake, make sure you earn it. Won't be able to make it to cheer you on.

Oh think it will be a leisurely run this morning the whole my body is a temple thing didn't hold this week had a black tie do with work Thursday night I'm still wrecked !!!

Oh think it will be a leisurely run this morning the whole my body is a temple thing didn't hold this week had a black tie do with work Thursday night I'm still wrecked !!!

Lol... Your body needs to have fun too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Happy Park Run-iversary! Hope it's a fab run and party after!

Advertisement