Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Never say never

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Back in the land of the wind and the rain and the on shore breeze. As we were flying home on Tuesday night Monday and Tuesday were rest days lying in the sun, catching up on boards, reading my book and generally loving life :)

Wednesday 15th June

After keeping the legs ticking over for the past 10 days wanted to get straight back into the running when we got back so headed out for 5 miles it was so lovely to have breeze and air that you could breath compared with the heavy heat of Croatia. Loved this run out the coast in Clontarf felt very comfortable pace was back where it was supposed to be. Achilles was a bit achey and I am putting that down to wearing flip flops a lot over the past 10 days even though FBOT told me not to be wearing flip flops too much or I would suffer, but did I listen !! splits 10.04, 10.08, 10.16, 10.11, 10.22 avg pace 10.13.

Thursday 16th June

Today was supposed to be an interval session, I am still in holiday mode as I don't go back to work till next week as I am off to Spain on Friday with the girls till Tuesday so technically I am actually still on holidays which means interval sessions should be pushed to next week..... I think I saw that written somewhere .... yes ......... honestly I just wasn't feeling any kind of interval or speed session so I went out for an enjoyable 5 miles. Pace was not as good as yesterday but have to say was not feeling this run at all. But got out got the miles done happy with that. splits 10.42, 10.34, 10.33, 10.35, 10.16 avg pace 10.31.

Friday 17th June

Flying to Spain this afternoon so wanted to try and get a long run done this morning. Job completed. 8 miles easy avg pace 10.36 splits 10.45, 10.29, 10.37, 10.59, 10.28, 10.21, 10.30, 10.40. Calf was a bit tight during this run. 20 mins stretching and foam rolling afterwards. Weekly mileage is up to 18.3 miles already and with my recent aim to get to 20 miles a week I should hit this as the running gear is being packed and the girls that I am going with are runners so there will be a run at some stage over the weekend.

Next week will be picking a plan and sticking with that for the next number of weeks, Myles has given us a few plans to choose from so I need to properly decide what are my plans for the next 4 months pick a plan and stick with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

I've just checked all the plans and there was definitely no speed session for this week.

That's what I thought :)

4 miles completed in sunny Spain happy days weekly mileage 22 miles will take that :)

I am a bit behind on my log this week and feeling quiet inadequate to log my piddley runs after being in the company of greatness at the Energia 24 hour marathon in Belfast over the weekend and the amazing achievements of FBOT, Mr and Mrs KillerZ and Ososlo.

Anyway got back from holidays in the early hours of Wednesday morning and as Monday and Tuesday are usually my pilates and rest day I wasn’t behind plan for the week.

Wednesday 22nd June 6 miles easy avg pace 10.26

Met up with Mrs KennyG for this one so plenty of catch up chatter to make the miles slip away. My OCD came back to bite me when I made her run past the house so as not to finish on 4.97 miles and she made me do another mile, so clocked 6 miles instead of the planned 5 ! 10.20,10.19,10.22,10.30,10.33,10.23 Good to be back in the cool air of Dublin.

Thursday 23rd June decided to make up the missed pilates class tonight kettlebells incorporated into the class so was a good work out.

Friday 24th June 4 miles easy avg pace 9.41

Decided to get out before the rain for this one, but unfortunately for me that didn’t work as the rain came down in buckets by the time I hit the avenue in St Annes. I have to say this was such an invigorating run, I was in the park me and one other runner who I passed a few times, I was soaked but I was belting along in the rain and I really enjoyed it. Pace would suggest I am well able to move my lazy ass when I want to. A good run in the rain despite getting soaked, splits, 9.24, 9.31, 9.43, 10.08.

Saturday 25th June to Sunday 26th June Energia 24 Hour Marathon – official support crew

Travelled up to Victoria Park in Belfast to support FBOT in his relay role as part of a team of 4 captained by Mrs KillerZ and also to support KillerZ in his 24 hour marathon attempt. Can I just say these are amazing people they have such great determination not only to contemplate but to take part an event like this and still smile all the way through it, while raising money for charity. In awe ! A gang from St Annes Park run including Mr and Mrs KennyG and a few others headed up Saturday morning to join HelenAnne and her hubby on the supporting line where we set up camp, tents, chairs and supplies all ready for our duties. Met Ososlo before the event began and few others so duly added their names to our supporting chants for the next 24 hours. Not much sleep was had over the 24 hours hency my lack of running log for the remainder of this week but while my mileage is low I am so delighted to have been part of this event and to support everyone through it.

Super proud of FBOT and his contribution to the relay team and many congrats to Mr and Mrs KillerZ and Ososlo (great to meet you) on their fantastic achievement. I must says its not one I will be adding to my running event list

Weekly mileage only 10.1 miles !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Loved your updates from Belfast A! Nothing but respect for all those mad people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

So lovely to meet you yesterday A! Or was it the day before? Or the day before that? :D body clock is still a bit confused!!!

A huge thank you to you and the rest of the Raheny cheering crew. It felt like I had a second support team every time I went around and when things got very tough, it kept my momentum up more than you can imagine. I made a pact with myself early on that no matter how bad I felt, I would try my utmost to smile and wave, every time I passed ye. I think it worked for the first 20 hours :) but I think the smiles wilted a bit and the waving hand lowered a little as the hours went by.
    You guys played a blinder out there and I know my crew are still knackered after it... fair play to you all! It was a test of endurance for everyone involved!

Ososlo wrote: »
    So lovely to meet you yesterday A! Or was it the day before? Or the day before that? :D body clock is still a bit confused!!!

A huge thank you to you and the rest of the Raheny cheering crew. It felt like I had a second support team every time I went around and when things got very tough, it kept my momentum up more than you can imagine. I made a pact with myself early on that no matter how bad I felt, I would try my utmost to smile and wave, every time I passed ye. I think it worked for the first 20 hours :) but I think the smiles wilted a bit and the waving hand lowered a little as the hours went by.
    You guys played a blinder out there and I know my crew are still knackered after it... fair play to you all! It was a test of endurance for everyone involved!

A you were such a trooper and such solid running fair play to you. We all enjoyed supporting and delighted it helped I hope you haven't taken that medal off yet it's so well deserved. Enjoy the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Anne thanks so much for your awesome support on Saturday & Sunday - knowing that you guys were there every lap really gave me a lift and kept me going. The support team clearly won the day hands down vs. all other support teams - everyone was talking about ye :)

Killerz wrote: »
    Anne thanks so much for your awesome support on Saturday & Sunday - knowing that you guys were there every lap really gave me a lift and kept me going. The support team clearly won the day hands down vs. all other support teams - everyone was talking about ye :)

Thanks J we all were so delighted to be part of it still in awe at what you all achieved looking forward to the supporting the trail run up Everest or whatever you choose to do next .... You can't really top that ! Well done on such a great achievement.

• Advertisement

Monday 27th June

I may as well have run the 24 hour marathon the way I was feeling today tiredness like I've never experienced before and I didn't even run, I am such a woss ! Needless to say it was a very unproductive day in work. Headed to pilates in the evening lots of stretching which was welcome after spending a night in a tent in Belfast and had an early night.:p

Tuesday 28th June

So begins the new training cycle and decisions to be made about what training plan to follow. I am still on the fence about DCM and I can't decide whether to go for it again, while I am still chuffed with my efforts last year I feel I have unfinished business with DCM ..... is this how it starts ??? Does it ever end!!!!. :confused::confused: But with my 4.31 achievement last year I am having out of body experiences saying well it would be nice to get sub 4.30 (now I was thinking 4.29.59) ! Anyway had a chat with the resident expert and he first of all said why on earth would I go through all that hard training and effort to get under 4.29.59 I should be aiming for at least 4.20. So he suggested why don't I follow a marathon plan until the Frank Duffy I have no PMP runs for a while, I don't have to decide until then whether I will do DCM or not. Sounded like a good solution and gives me a few more weeks to build up the miles and see how the legs are feeling. :confused::confused:

So that’s what I'm doing. Decided to follow Dave Carries plan from the Irish Runner Magazine again as this worked well last year and had a good mix of intervals and strides thrown into the weekly plan. Have to up the days running to 5 from 4. M worked out my paces for me so have to slow things down, easy pace is between 11.06 and 10.40 a bit slower than my recent runs which are averaging between 10.10 and 10.20 pace.

Plan had 4 * 400 m intervals with 1.45 recovery with a mile warmup and a mile cool down, pace for the intervals was to be between 2.07 and 2.01 per 400m. Up to St Anne’s for this one 400m is 4 benches on the avenue so this is a good place to do the intervals. After the first interval realised the settings weren’t right on my Garmin so just had to guess the recovery so went a little over time on recoveries as a result. Session went well, calf is so tight and Achilles was very tender afterwards so booked in for a sports massage tomorrow night.

Mile 1 w/u 10.46
    Interval 1 2.05
    Interval 2 2.03
    Interval 3 2.12
    Interval 4 2.08
    Mile c/d 11.00

Wednesday 29th June

Sports massage …. Serious work on the left calf…… ouch:eek:

Thursday 30th June

Up at 6am for this one to run before work due to a night out. Drove into work and ran out from Ballsbridge to Merrion Gates and back in by Sandymount strand and Irishtown back to Ballsbridge. Was supposed to be 5 miles but mis-calculated and did 4.5 miles Avg Pace 10.55, splits, 10.54, 11.05,10.47, 10.54

Friday 1st July

I am getting sick of getting soaked every time I go out running lately, tonight was another soaking through. 5 Miles easy on the plan tonight up to the park and did the Park Run loop and the tarmac path around the park. Legs were tired and felt heavy but got on fine. Adjusting to running slowly is quiet hard. Avg pace 10.55 splits. 11.01, 10.51, 10.45, 11.04, 10.52

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Nice week A, I don't think you'll stop at FD by sounds of it, best luck with what
    ever you decide.

Yeah, just do the marathon plan until FD... ;). Good luck with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

annapr wrote: »
    Yeah, just do the marathon plan until FD... ;). Good luck with it!

:D and yes, this is how it starts....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭diego_b

Good stuff A, that's me, Chris and you of the novices from last year going again!

diego_b wrote: »
    Good stuff A, that's me, Chris and you of the novices from last year going again!

Looking forward to mcgrattans already :)

This is such a deja vue moment I have just finished my LSR, had my shower, my scrambled eggs and toast and am updating boards, how did I get back here again its DCM training 2015 all over again !!!:eek:

anyway back to the final update of the week.

Sat 2nd July

Plan was 1 mile w/u 2 miles fast 1 mile c/d so headed up to St Anne's Park Run for this did the 1 mile w/u with Toulouse before it and then did the park run fast miles probably should have been faster and slow mile probably should have been slower. Enjoyed the catch up with Toulouse and coffee afterwards with the park run crew. Discovered when I came home and relooked a the plan there was another option to just run park run ! Ah well must read the plan in full the next time. 3 miles avg pace 9.20. Headed over to the national beer mile in the afternoon to support MurphD and Toulouse in their beer mile attempts. Toulouse managed to bag herself the National Female champion woh woh !!!

Sunday 3rd July

8 miles LSR on the plan today. Headed out at 8 am this morning and met Mrs KennyG at the Artane Roundabout and we headed for Albert College Park Run where the Kenny Juniors were running in the junior park run. Did a few laps of the park while waiting for it to start and to clock up the required 8 miles. What a gorgeous park I have never been in it before but will definately be back. What a sea of small kids there !! 157 of them ! Full of energy, they were very funny to watch at the start particularly trying to edge to the front line to get out ahead of the other runners, future athletes in the making. Kenny Juniors and Bungy Jnr put in a great performance. Caught up with AnnaPr MurphD Bungy and KennyG there. 8 miles completed avg pace 10.50. Splits 10.51, 10.57, 10.42, 10.48, 11.00, 10.44, 10.58, 10.41. Calves quiet tight after the week some stretching to be done this week. :(

Week 1 completed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Mrs Mc wrote: »

No turning back now, see you in Mcgrattans.
    Best of luck with the training.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

This is such a deja vue moment I have just finished my LSR, had my shower, my scrambled eggs and toast and am updating boards, how did I get back here again its DCM training 2015 all over again !!!:eek:

anyway back to the final update of the week.

Sat 2nd July

Plan was 1 mile w/u 2 miles fast 1 mile c/d so headed up to St Anne's Park Run for this did the 1 mile w/u with Toulouse before it and then did the park run fast miles probably should have been faster and slow mile probably should have been slower. Enjoyed the catch up with Toulouse and coffee afterwards with the park run crew. Discovered when I came home and relooked a the plan there was another option to just run park run ! Ah well must read the plan in full the next time. 3 miles avg pace 9.20. Headed over to the national beer mile in the afternoon to support MurphD and Toulouse in their beer mile attempts. Toulouse managed to bag herself the National Female champion woh woh !!!

Sunday 3rd July

8 miles LSR on the plan today. Headed out at 8 am this morning and met Mrs KennyG at the Artane Roundabout and we headed for Albert College Park Run where the Kenny Juniors were running in the junior park run. Did a few laps of the park while waiting for it to start and to clock up the required 8 miles. What a gorgeous park I have never been in it before but will definately be back. What a sea of small kids there !! 157 of them ! Full of energy, they were very funny to watch at the start particularly trying to edge to the front line to get out ahead of the other runners, future athletes in the making. Kenny Juniors and Bungy Jnr put in a great performance. Caught up with AnnaPr MurphD Bungy and KennyG there. 8 miles completed avg pace 10.50. Splits 10.51, 10.57, 10.42, 10.48, 11.00, 10.44, 10.58, 10.41. Calves quiet tight after the week some stretching to be done this week. :(

parkrun..........always lower case always one word :mad::P

FBOT01 wrote: »
    parkrun..........always lower case always one word :mad::P

Park run PARK RUN pARK RuN OCD OCD OCD :)

• Advertisement

Park run PARK RUN pARK RuN OCD OCD OCD :)

:pac: :pac: I was waiting for that response...

Monday 4th July

no pilates tonight so did some stretching and got an early night

Tuesday 5th July

Pyramid session on the plan tonight 1 mile warm up with 200m, 400m, 600m,400m 200m somewhere between aerobic pace and CV pace (went for 5km pace which is around 8.30 a mile) with a 90 seconds recovery and 1 mile warm down.

Headed to St Annes for this and used the benches as my markers pace below

200m 1.00
    400m 2.02
    600m 3.08
    400m 2.04
    200m 1.04

Checked my aerobic pace and CV pace ranges that M had calculated for me when I got home to check I was doing it right, 200m was 1.00 to 1.03, 400m was 2.01 to 2.07 and 600m was 3.02 to 3.11 so very happy with that effort. 1 mile cool down. 4 miles avg pace 10.17

Wednesday 6th July

A girl that works with me runs for Raheny Shamrocks and runs home quiet a lot. During marathon training last year I found the running taking over my life in the evening hard so after her selling me the run commute that you are home by 6.30 /6.45 run done happy days I decided to try running home and run in the next morning. So packed the kitchen sink into my gear bag trying to remember everything I would need to run home and shower and get changed if i ran the next morning. Have to say don't know why I didn't try this before it was great a lovely evening to be running somewhere different, ran to Irishtown across the eastlink over Alfie Byrne Road and up the Howth Road to my car which was 4.7 miles as the plan had 6 miles I headed into the park and clocked up the remaining miles. Home by 6.45 run all done happy days and it started to rain just as I got in the door even better :D, will definately be doing that again. Was able to go down and watch Mc Jnr perform her greatest in a home GAA match. 6 miles Avg pace 10.48 splits, 10.56, 10.29, 10.51, 10.53, 10.50, 10.51.:p

Thursday 7th July

More of the same 4 miles easy on the plan today, had worked out the 4 mile route back into work this morning, got up at the usual time, parked up at the dart so Id have my car later and headed off from the Howth Road back over to Ballsbridge a lovely morning, was in work by 8.05 all showered and changed eating my porridge at my desk by 8.40. Enjoying my free evening this evening. Although ended up doing grocery shopping :(:( not quiet what I imagined. 4 miles avg pace 10.58 splits 11.04, 11.01, 10.56, 10.53, 10.49.

While the pace was as I am supposed to be doing legs definately feeling tired this morning.

Rest day tomorrow and a night out with some friends. Have to change my long run to Saturday though so won't be too wild :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

No better way to commute :) nice job on the pyramid session too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Great work on that pyramid! Textbook splits :D

So the rest of the week

Friday 8th July
    Rest day :D:D:D

Saturday 9th July

Volunteer duties on Saturday at St Anne's Park Run where despite the awful downpour there were over 200 runners out in force. Catch up coffees with the volunteers afterwards before I headed off on my long run. 10 miles easy on the plan this week, my time range was between 11.06 and 10.40. It was so warm out this afternoon but enjoyed the run. Had to stop twice to stretch out my calf which was niggling at me during the run. 10 miles avg pace 10.55 splits, 11.02, 10.50, 10.52, 10.41, 10.55, 11.10, 10.53, 10.59, 10.52, 10.57. Happy with that.

Sunday 10th July

Today was a nice day with only 3 miles easy on the plan which I was glad of after another night out :eek::eek: Headed off to Kildare Village first this morning after finding out they had my asics runners on sale in stock in my size there as I having trouble getting them anywhere recently as they are last years make. Delighted with my purchase and reduced price I headed for home as I had organised to meet some of the park run gang and Raheny Sharmrocks gang in St Anne's for a run. 7 of us in total so the chat was great and the 3 miles slipped away very quickly. Left them off to finish their long runs and I headed home after my 3 miles completed. Avg pace 10.36

Total weekly miles 28 miles
    Monthly miles 45.1 miles
    YTD miles 490.5 miles

Week 3 of plan

Monday 11th July Rest day

Tuesday 12th July

6*400 m intervals at 5km pace with 90 sec recovery tonight. Hooked up with one of the girls from Raheny Shamrocks for this and we headed to St Annes to the avenue. The pace per 400 was to be between 2.07 and 2.01. 1 mile w/u first to the avenue

lap 1 1.53
    lap 2 2.03
    lap 3 2.02
    lap 4 2.02
    lap 5 1.59
    lap 6 don't know what happened my watch forgot to hit the lap button on my watch but was on pace. Was great to have company for this one as we pushed each other along and it looks like she is doing Dublin so with our paces the same I will have company for long runs also.
    Spotted Dunanington on the avenue bouncing along looking very unphased by his 19 mile run.

1 mile c/d to finish off the session. 4.4 miles avg pace 10.02

After trying the runmute last week decided to do this again this week as I felt it freed up a lot of my evening time so went with the same plan again run home from work leave my gear for work Thursday in work and run into work Thursday morning.

Wed 13th 6 miles runmute easy avg pace 10.45 splits 10.38, 10.48, 10.38, 10.53, 10.45, 10.48.

Thursday 14th 4 miles runmute with 5 * 50 m strides avg pace 10.36 ran as fast as I could for each 50m but its definately more difficult to do earlier in the morning, was also running with my sister who is much faster than me so found it hard to keep up with her.

Nice to have Thursday night off and Friday night rest day to look forward to.

Ok someone had pushed me over the fence and I've officially signed up for DCM who was I kidding !!! All came to a head at PR yesterday when I announced I was upgrading my Garmin cause my forerunner 10 didn't last the 4 and half hours last year. Got some slagging then for someone who isn't doing dublin upgrading my watch !!! Ah well !!

Remainder of my week had 3 miles easy on the plan Saturday so with St Annes PR not on due to the Rose festival a gang of us headed to Donabate PR. Have never done this and was pleasantly pleased with the route which takes you through the woods and by the farm it's so picturesque. I had to stop mid run as the mammy in me came out when a little lad got injured and a bit upset so I walked with him for a bit to make sure he was ok.3 miles ish avg pace 9.38. To add to it FBOT came 1st so coffee and cakes afterwards to celebrate.

Sunday's LSR had me quiet anxious I don't know why but was quiet nervous about it. After our great turn out last Sunday we have set up a group on messenger so that whoever is running just puts up what they want to do and others can join up for all or part of the run. It resulted in 5 of us heading off at 9 this morning. The pace was easy between 11 and 10.40. The chat is great and the miles fly by. Was pleasantly surprised how well it went. Avg pace 10.44 splits 10.57, 10.51, 10.52, 10.49, 10.46,10.48, 10.45, 10.37, 10.41, 10.40, 10.35, 10.31. Legs are feeling it. Spent 20 mins stretching and foam rolling afterwards then up to the park to enjoy the lovely weather and the Rose festival then home to watch the Leinster final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Good for you A, your lucky himself hasn't an ego the size of TbL or yesterday's victory would have gone to his head!!!

tang1 wrote: »
    Good for you A, your lucky himself hasn't an ego the size of TbL or yesterday's victory would have gone to his head!!!

Wait till you read his race report and how he won ..... Bad sportsmanship messing with people's heads who are in the zone with their eye on the prize finish line in sight ..... To be handed your bar code that you dropped at the start knocked the poor lad off his zone while he flies past to the finish .... To claim 1st place :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Wait till you read his race report and how he won ..... Bad sportsmanship messing with people's heads who are in the zone with their eye on the prize finish line in sight ..... To be handed your bar code that you dropped at the start knocked the poor lad off his zone while he flies past to the finish .... To claim 1st place :)

Yeah, he always struck me as that type!!!

Advertisement