Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Never say never

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I definitely want to know more about the barcode mind games. Great that you're doing DCM again, not that I ever doubted you would!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

You're doing DCM???!!! OMG am in shock :D:D:D glad you finally admitted it to yourself :p best of luck with the training, look forward to bursting your eardrums again from the sidelines :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Enjoy the challenge A and no doubt that last years DCM can only hugely benefit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Firedance wrote: »
    You're doing DCM???!!! OMG am in shock :D:D:D glad you finally admitted it to yourself :p best of luck with the training, look forward to bursting your eardrums again from the sidelines :pac:

I'm counting on it AM particularly as my no 1 supporter is pacing this year will be banking on all of you for support :)

Murph_D wrote: »
    I definitely want to know more about the barcode mind games. Great that you're doing DCM again, not that I ever doubted you would!

Will miss my No 1 pacer this year :(

• Advertisement

denis b wrote: »
    Enjoy the challenge A and no doubt that last years DCM can only hugely benefit you.

God I hope so Denis !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Will miss my No 1 pacer this year :(

I'm sure the replacement will be more than capable!

Murph_D wrote: »
    I'm sure the replacement will be more than capable!

We'll see ! No pressure !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

tang1 wrote: »
    Yeah, he always struck me as that type!!!

What type????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Ok someone had pushed me over the fence and I've officially signed up for DCM who was I kidding !!! All came to a head at PR yesterday when I announced I was upgrading my Garmin cause my forerunner 10 didn't last the 4 and half hours last year. Got some slagging then for someone who isn't doing dublin upgrading my watch !!! Ah well !!

Woh woh!!! :)

Sure what else would you be doing over the summer/autumn!

• Advertisement

I'm counting on it AM particularly as my no 1 supporter is pacing this year will be banking on all of you for support :)

I'd better get the spreadsheet off him so :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

I'd better get the spreadsheet off him so :pac::pac::pac:

And with your new bike in tow you should have no problem making every support point :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

I'm excited for you! I have signed up to volunteer for this year's DCM and I really hope I can marshall so I can cheer you on!

I'm excited for you! I have signed up to volunteer for this year's DCM and I really hope I can marshall so I can cheer you on!

Yay :D

Tuesday 19th July

Tonight had 1 mile w/u, 2 miles at 10km pace , 1 mile c/d, so following discussion with my resident coach I decided to use the Raheny 2 mile summer series to do this one. Registered in the club and went for a mile warm up before hand with Mrs KennyG I was glad to see the sun go in behind the clouds before the race started but there was still a heavy heat. There was a good crowd, bumped into Belcarra at the start line and had a quick catch up with him. My 10k race pace should be around 8.52 a mile, but I decided not to look at the watch and run this race by feel I would generally find myself at the back of the bunch early enough on as there are some very fast runners doing this but I enjoy this run as there is great support regardless of your effort. First mile went well but the heat was unreal and proving difficult to keep the pace going, I was running a bit behind one guy and we were matching pace which felt fast but manageable so i decided I would stick near him. By lap 2 I decided to kick on and pass him but he took the bait and we ran pace for pace for a while, when we turned for the last half mile I pushed on. Finished in 17.01 my pb for this distance is 16.36 in June last year. Was happy with that effort splits 8.21 and 8.42. The heat absolutely zapped me and was glad of the mile cool down afterwards. Back to the club house for tea and a biscuit and a catch up with Mrs KennyG.

Wednesday 20th Jul
    y
    My Runmute has been going well so got my gear all organised Tuesday night to discover I have a sports massage appointment on Wednesday at 6. :eek: This week was proving difficult to fit in runs with a weekend away camping so I had no other day to run. Left work a bit early to try and get a run in. Didn't get to do the planned mileage due to time constraints 5 miles avg pace 10.50. Sports massage ouch, calves are so sore lately as are achilles so she worked on them a lot and boy did I feel it, was obviously in need of a good massage, have booked in for 4 weeks time again :eek:

Thursday 21st July

4 miles easy into work legs felt so heavy and couldnt not get much pace in them and ditched the 5*50m strides on the plan avg pace 11.04 this was a blah run.

Pilates tonight, great class, lots of stomach and upper body work and stretching enjoyed this.

Friday 22nd July

heading away camping for the weekend so decided to try and get my long run into today. The Dave Carrie plan has the fingal 10km built into the plan so FBOT suggested I do 1 mile wu 6 miles at tempo pace and 1 mile cd. this is week 4 of the plan and my mileage has gone from 20 to 30 miles a week my runs have gone from 4 days to 5 days and I am really feeling it this week. My legs are tired and I am not sleeping great and not going to bed early. So you can see where this is going yeah !! Friday is usually my rest day and I probably should have just taken a rest day but set the alarm for 7 to head out for the run before hitting the road. First mile was fine legs tired watch was acting up telling me I was doing 7 min miles. Soon discovered it was set to km. First stop to fix it. Hit the avenue in St Annes for my first mile at tempo pace, :mad::mad::mad: this was awful, the legs just would not co-operate hit 9.20 and I had to stop and walk to catch my breath, the mind started to work in conjunction with the legs and the body would just not co-operate, tried another mile it just got worse 10.20. stopped again, you'd swear I hadn't run in 6 months thats how it felt. Don't know what was wrong with me, headed for home, stopped again. deleted all the runs off the watch, if its not on strava it never happened right. In hindsight I need to go to bed earlier, I need to start watching myself eating properly getting some multivits into myself, stretching more. I think the 2 mile the sports massage and pilates last night maybe contributed and I should have taken a rest day today.

Off to Lough Key Forest Park camping for the weekend so a bit of park run tourism tomorrow in Lough key PR hopefully.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Enjoy the weekend and the PR Tourism! And start getting some early nights! We just had a post from Firedance on the novices threat reminding us that an hour before midnight is worth two after and we are going to need plenty as the millage keeps increasing. :D

I need to start watching myself eating properly getting some multivits into myself, stretching more. I think the 2 mile the sports massage and pilates last night maybe contributed and I should have taken a rest day today.

Yes, you do and yes, you should have. Write it off, enjoy the weekend and start fresh from next week :)
    Off to Lough Key Forest Park camping for the weekend so a bit of park run tourism tomorrow in Lough key PR hopefully.;)

Oooh am super jealous!!! it's a lovely parkrun A, you'll enjoy it and the coffee shop has the most beautiful views! have a ball :)

spaceylou wrote: »
    Enjoy the weekend and the PR Tourism! And start getting some early nights! We just had a post from Firedance on the novices threat reminding us that an hour before midnight is worth two after and we are going to need plenty as the millage keeps increasing. :D

so glad I'm not talking to myself over there :D:D:D:D

Thanks SL and FD definately more sleep this week.

Sat 23rd was off camping in Lough Key forest park for the weekend so FBOT, mc Jnr and 3 others from our group decided to do a bit of PR tourism. What a fab route through the forest beside the lake it was just lovely. FBOT managed to get 1st place so some celebratory coffees after. Just took it easy on the run given Friday's awful run.

Sun 24th decided to do Friday's mileage again but to keep the pace easy after a busy weekend camping. Headed out when we got home to a beautiful evening so kept to the coast and headed down the wooden bridge. Really enjoyed this run 6 miles avg pace 10.49. Early night tonight :)

So we are into week 5 of marathon training sure its amazing how time flies when you're having fun :D

Monday 27th July Rest day - love rest day :p

Tues 26th July 4 miles easy with 5 * 50m strides up and down the coast for this using the lamp posts as 50m markers for the last mile. Went up to the Raheny Shamrocks 2 miler then to support some of the Park Run gang in the race and a cuppa in the clubhouse after. 4 Miles Avg pace 10.42

Wednesday 27th July so this is where the increase in mileage kicks in on the plan where my mid week run has increased from 6 miles to 8 miles :eek: Decided to use my run home from work for this one heading off from Ballsbridge across the east link along the coast into the park from Watermill Road and finished it off with some of the old park run route. 8 Miles Avg pace 10.56 splits 11.01, 10.51, 10.43, 10.53, 11.02, 10.58, 10.55, 11.07. Enjoyed this and benefits of running from work meant I was home early and then able to enjoy a family trip to the cinema.

Thursday 28th July 4 miles easy on the plan today so decided to run home from work again, not sure what happened on mile 2 think I was daydreaming and the pace dropped :mad: started to rain but it didn't bother me as the chances were I was doing to be home just after 6 and would have the night free then. Bumped into AQuinn on her bike on the Clontarf Road so stopped to have a little catch up with her before heading off for my last mile back to my car parked at the dart station. 4 miles avg pace 11.08 oops :confused: splits 10.55, 11.21, 11.08, 10.55. Off to pilates where we did some work with kettlebells a good class. Im tired after the week of running but feeling a lot stronger than I was last week. Rest day tomorrow and then park run tourism on Saturday in Cabinteely hopefully to see Firedance in her RD duties.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Has the other half lost the use of his fingers, there's 2 parkrun 1st's we are waiting to hear about. And the little matter of how DCM training is going, tell him to take the finger out A.

Has the other half lost the use of his fingers, there's 2 parkrun 1st's we are waiting to hear about. And the little matter of how DCM training is going, tell him to take the finger out A.

Ah he is just so shy and bashful he didn't want to post ha ha ..... I will pass on !!

We're holding out for no 3 tang, patience grasshopper!

We're holding out for no 3 tang, patience grasshopper!

Ah now don't be putting him under pressure !!!

Saturday 30th July

So with 1mile w/u 3 miles steady and 1 mile cd on the plan we decided to take up our invite to Cabinteely PR and head over to visit Firdance on her RD duties. Dug out the passports for crossing the Liffey from the DNS and rounded up some more of the St Annes PR crew for re-enforcements. A gorgeous morning in cabinteely and a beautiful setting for PR but oh my God those hills ! I was glad I was on a steady pace for today particularly on those hills. Thanks to FD and the volunteers for making us so welcome. Great to catch up with Tang on his virgin park run and FD for celebratory coffees after FBOTs 1st place hat trick.

Sunday 31sy July

14 miles LSR on the plan today. Wasn't looking forward to this as most of the LSR support Crew are on hols so it meant my longest run of the year so far was going to be on my lonesome. Up at 7 for the breakfast of champions porridge blueberries and raspberries and a cuppa tea. Out by 9 with my running belt with phone emergency money gel and two bottles with water and nunn tablets. I have just upgraded my Garmin and still getting used to the new watch so as a back up DG would be disgusted with me but went out with two watches on !!!! Probably not a good idea cause both were showing different paces !!! Ah well settled into the run after the first mile which was slow and hit 11 mins for most which is the lower end of my range and just used the new watch. It was very hot today but by the time I hit the coast there was a nice breeze. Passed DenisB looking well after his recent hols. I was really missing the chatter of the usual company and the miles went away slowly. By mile 6 I was delighted to see one of the St Anne's crew waiting for me she ran 6.5 miles with me which was a great distraction. I took a gel after an hour. FBOT had been telling me there was no need for me to take gels training as I know what works for me but I have such a sensitive stomach I was worried by not taking them till DCM day I might have trouble on the day. So he suggested I limit it to one on the long runs. All went well pace was consistent. Delighted to hit this milestone as my longest run this year. Having trouble loading up to Strava so no splits just yet but average pace was 11.02. Mooju and scrambled eggs when I got home dreaming about it from 10 miles.

Rest day tomorrow so enjoying a glass of vino and a take away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

I took a couple of gels today myself. I haven't been using them at all but I got delayed and it was so long since breakfast I just got worried I wouldn't last. Nice to get a good long run under your belt.

I took a couple of gels today myself. I haven't been using them at all but I got delayed and it was so long since breakfast I just got worried I wouldn't last. Nice to get a good long run under your belt.

Yep it's getting serious now !!!!

Up at 7 for the breakfast of champions porridge blueberries and raspberries and a cuppa tea.

I read this as 'champagne' :D:D (maybe it should be!!!) nice work on the long run, great to catch up on Saturday & hopefully see you at some point on Sat for the boards meet up :)

I read this as 'champagne' :D:D (maybe it should be!!!) nice work on the long run, great to catch up on Saturday & hopefully see you at some point on Sat for the boards meet up :)

Oh now that would be nice champagne for breakfast could take on an ultra after a few of them !!!

• Advertisement

Week 6 of marathon training

Monday2nd August rest day :D

Tuesday 3rd August

Pyramids sessions on the plan tonight 1 mile warmup, 200m, 400m, 600m, 800m, 600m, 400m, 200m 90 secs recovery and 1 mile cool down. Yeah yeuch right :eek: So checked my pace ranges for AV, CV and VO2 max, 200m range was between 1.03 - 0.58, 400m range was between 2.07- 1.56, 600m range was between 3.11 - 2.54 and 800m range was between 4.14 - 3.52. Rounded up some company for this one and ran up to St Anne's to do these on the avenue. The new garmin was all charged up and good to go and off we went. It was very warm and found this session very tough but very rewarding as I hit pace for most of the intervals. Very pleased with how this went.

200m 1.00mins
    400m 1.57mins
    600m 3.00mins
    800m 3.56mins
    600m 3.05mins
    400m 1.53mins
    200m 0.55mins

Wednesday 3rd of August

Plan was 8 miles easy tonight so planned to run home from work till I realised I'd forgotten my runners :mad::mad: After deciding that I wasn't prepared to do a Zola Budd on this and FBOT wasn't prepared to bring my runners over to Ballsbridge to allow me run home (I mean how unreasonable a request was it ?????) got the Dart home and got home and went straight back out again was not happy at the thoughts of 8 miles particularly when I saw the wind outside. :(:( But got stuck in and planned my route so that I was with the wind on the coast and against it on Howth Road. Rain started the last 2 miles but didn't mind too much I had gotten over the frustration of forgetting my runners. 8 miles Avg pace 10.56, splits 10.52, 10.54, 11.02, 11.07, 10.48, 10.51, 10.55, 10.58.

Thursday 4th August

Ran into work this morning 4miles easy on the plan today. Nice morning legs felt a bit tired but they loosed out after the first mile. 4 miles avg pace 10.57 splits 10.50, 10.59, 10.48, 11.12

Pilates this evening and lot of work with the foam roller and great stretching it was a good class and was just what was required.

Friday 5th August Rest day my favourite day.

Appointment with the physio in the morning, just going to get the achilles, calves and knees checked which are all niggling me a little bit so just want to get them checked and that all is good.

Advertisement