Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Never say never

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Good luck at the race tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Best of luck tomorrow A!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

All the best tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

tang1 wrote: »
    +1, hopefully see you after A. Will have an Orange San Pelligrino waiting!!

Looking forward to it .... The San pelegrino that is ..... Not the race !!!

Firedance wrote: »
    Good luck tomorrow A, have a great race and of course.... ENJOY!

Thanks AM not sure about enjoying it but sure we'll give it a lash !!

• Advertisement

chickey2 wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow!

Make that a crate will you? We should look into getting San pellegrino to sponsor boards runners!

Ha ha that would be good get a discount on it !!!

Good luck at the race tomorrow!

Thanks C you are doing it aren't you ? See you there :)

adrian522 wrote: »
    All the best tomorrow!

Cheers Adrian :)

jake1970 wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow A!

Thanks Jake :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Good luck tomorrow A, have a great race. I'm sure that rain will be nice and refreshing :D.

• Advertisement

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Good luck tomorrow A, have a great race. I'm sure that rain will be nice and refreshing :D.

Forecast looking horrible but sure nothing we can do about it. Thanks g.

Week 8 of Marathon Training

Monday Rest day

Tuesday 16th August Plan had 6 * 400m with 90 seconds recovery. After a day out supporting McJnr wearing her Dubs jersey for the Dublin U17 development squad in an intercountry blitz would have much preferred to chill out on the couch, mammy supporting is hard work ! But training had to be done so off out to St Annes to the Avenue to run up and down it like a loola. Paces for 400m for me is CV 2.07, AP 2.01 and VO2 1.56 so was looking to go somewhere in that range. 1 mile wu to the avenue

1 1.58
    2 2.00
    3 1.56
    4 1.59
    5 forgot to hit my lap time here or else I did 500m by mistake 2.52
    6 1.59

1 mile cool down. Total 4 miles avg pace 10.09

Wednesday 17th August

Packed the kitchen sick in preparation for my runmute which is now become the norm, run home on a Wednesday evening and run in on a Thursday morning. Was looking out at the rain coming down in buckets all afternoon and with the FD 10 mile on Saturday and a night out from work on Thursday left no other options so on with the peak cap and the rain jacket and off I went. I had 6 miles easy to do. What a horrible evening I got absolutely soaked my socks were squelshing in my runners the rain was dripping off my hat I was socked through, I had to call into my friends house to borrow a towel to put on my car seat I was so wet, as I had to pick up my car from the Dart station. 6 miles done avg pace 10.47 splits, 11.10. 10.31, 10.17, 10.54, 10.56. Flew in home got changed and back out to pilates.

Thursday 18th August 4 miles easy on the plan with 6 * 75 m strides. Thankfully the rain was just spitting this morning, up at 6.30 and out by 7 to run into work. Took a while to wake the legs up but found that once the strides were done they had loosened out. Not sure the strides were anything to write home about but they were faster than what I was doing. 4 miles avg pace 10.34. splits 10.28, 10.11, 10.41, 10.43
    Night out from work on Thursday night wasn't going to risk a wild night out with the race on Saturday so had a couple of drinks and home early and in bed by 10.30, Im such a party animal :D

Friday 19th August rest day yay :D sitting on the couch chilling out drinking a cuppa out of my Ballycotton 10 mile mug just to remind myself that I can do this.:eek::eek: Not looking forward to this weather tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭diego_b

Best of luck A, find a big lad to hide behind when the wind whips up!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

And best of everything to you! I can't believe what a real runner you have become, I love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    drinking a cuppa out of my Ballycotton 10 mile mug just to remind myself that I can do this.:eek::eek: Not looking forward to this weather tomorrow

10 miles 10 schmiles, gale shmale :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

All the best tomorrow A.

diego_b wrote: »
    Best of luck A, find a big lad to hide behind when the wind whips up!

Thanks D will do :)

Murph_D wrote: »
    All the best tomorrow A.

Thanks D see ya tomorrow :)

Singer wrote: »
    10 miles 10 schmiles, gale shmale :)

That will be my chant tomorrow B love it !

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    And best of everything to you! I can't believe what a real runner you have become, I love it!

I know what have I become !!!!

• Advertisement

Saturday 20th August Frank Duffy 10 mile Official time 1.35.39:mad:

Previous pb for this distance is 1.31.24 in Ballycotton this year. So that was the aim for this race was aiming for a sub 1.30 which was an average of 9 min miles which I think I should be well capable of now. Well so much for that plan, it didn't happen and I could come up with loads of excuses why but to be honest I just couldn't pull it out of the bag today the legs and mind were not willing.

Was up at 6.30 this morning to have breakfast before we headed off. I had laid out all the gear the night before and with the awful weather conditions forecast had change of clothes and rain gear all packed. The rain had started before we left the house and by the time we got to the phoneix park it was coming down in sheets. Dropped off the gear and decided to pull on the running sleeves on my arms it was so wet and horrible. Was not feeling the love today, my socks were already soaking and the race hadn't even started. Stayed for as long as possible under a tree until we ditched the plastic bag about 9.50 to take our spots for the race. KennyG was pacing Mrs KennyG on her first 10 mile attempt so decided I would run with them seeing as G was doing 9 mins pace.

Mile 1 and 2 went to plan and was feeling very comfortable keeping with KennyG and Mrs KennyG there was a bit of congestion at the start and a lot of flooding on the path in places. Splits were 8.55, 8.41

Mile 3 to 6 my legs were just starting to feel the drag on the course, they started to feel heavy and I started to get a pain in my right glute. But as DG taught us I said hello to it and it disappeared after a while. I lost KennyG quiet early on here and while I dropped pace to 9.12 and 9.17 here I wasn't too bothered as I had bagged a few extra seconds in the first two miles and was expecting to drop a few seconds here. While there is an drag on the road from the zoo onwards I would be familiar with this route and felt I should be able to get the pace back here even with the drag but it was not to be the case clocking 9.31 and 9.41 on mile 5 and 6.:eek:

Mile 7 to 10 was disgusted with myself at this stage and legs were like jelly I just could not get any movement going and was feeling very sorry for myself. My long run training buddy appeared behind me on Chesterfield Ave and she kept me company to the finish and I struggled onto the finish with her 9.36, 9.34, 9.38 and then the dreaded hill where I clocked 10.10 on this mile. Brutal.

Not a great performance for me given my recent training and my improved fitness and should definately be in a better place than earlier this year. I didn't even do a better time than FD in 2015 where I got 1.34.41. In hindsight and looking back over the race the mind may have given up half way through this race when I was unable to get the pace back. I really don't know. Guess I just have to chalk it up to a bad performance move on and focus on the main thing which is Dublin. Legs are feeling very sore after the race so will have to do some foam rolling and stretching to sort that out.

Great to see everyone afterwards and I suppose I took some comfort in the fact that everyone seemed to find the day difficult. Onwards and upwards.:p

Thanks to AQuinn and AnnaPr for the support during the run it was much appreciated.

10 miles avg pace 9.25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Sorry to hear it didn't go as planned A, but it was one of those it wasn't you it was me kind of races with the weather. Very few performed to expectations, bad day at the office nothing else. Fact the legs are hurting show you raced hard, I'll have a Blood Orange IPA for you later!!

Sorry to hear it didn't go as planned A, but it was one of those it wasn't you it was me kind of races with the weather. Very few performed to expectations, bad day at the office nothing else. Fact the legs are hurting show you raced hard, I'll have a Blood Orange IPA for you later!!

Thanks Tang hope the hip doing ok get that looked at and hopefully you'll be back running soon. Think I'll change colour tonight and have a red wine !!! Enjoy rest of weekend and rest up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

A, don't be too hard on yourself, looked like you were having a tough day when we saw you... The conditions did not help that's for sure!

annapr wrote: »
    A, don't be too hard on yourself, looked like you were having a tough day when we saw you... The conditions did not help that's for sure!

You telling me I looked like sh*te Anna ???? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

You know I would NEVER say such a thing A!!!!! To anyone (quiet, yaboya!). No, you looked like you were working hard at that point... So did D, he gave us a thumbs down so you weren't the only one !

annapr wrote: »
    You know I would NEVER say such a thing A!!!!! To anyone (quiet, yaboya!). No, you looked like you were working hard at that point... So did D, he gave us a thumbs down so you weren't the only one !

Ha ha only joking A I know :)

You not from Clontarf........

You not from Clontarf........

I am why ???? You startin .... I'll set me fella on ya !!

• Advertisement

I am why ???? You startin .... I'll set me fella on ya !!

I'll give your fella one thing, he's a better pacer than FerrisB!!!

Advertisement