Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Never say never

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

tang1 wrote: »
    I'll give your fella one thing, he's a better pacer than FerrisB!!!

Well now that's between you and Ferris !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭diego_b

Tough day at the office A, but hoping it's rewarding come the end of Oct as all experiences really come to fore that day.

diego_b wrote: »
    Tough day at the office A, but hoping it's rewarding come the end of Oct as all experiences really come to fore that day.

Here's hoping D :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Sorry didn't go as planned A, we few lousey miles as well but kept
    gently kicking Gills ass when she stopped to walk, defiantly a mind
    thing as much as the body. Now back to training you have a Marathon
    to prepare for:)

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Sorry didn't go as planned A, we few lousey miles as well but kept
    gently kicking Gills ass when she stopped to walk, defiantly a mind
    thing as much as the body. Now back to training you have a Marathon
    to prepare for:)

That's it G can't win em all !! Keeping the main thing the main thing although after yesterday I was thinking how the f am I going to run a marathon after that display ! Ah well write it off and move on as FBOT says. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Sorry to see it didn't go to plan, just one of those days and weather didn't help. Put it behind you and don't focus on it. Positive thoughts going forward, don't let it knock you confidence for October.

Younganne wrote: »
    Sorry to see it didn't go to plan, just one of those days and weather didn't help. Put it behind you and don't focus on it. Positive thoughts going forward, don't let it knock you confidence for October.

It's a lot about the battle with the head on these bad days my head seems to win out though so it's something I need to work on for sure.

I'm a believer in visualisation. Constantly visualise yourself having a great run and visualise the time you want on the clock. It works for me, and believing it's possible. Believe in yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Really sorry it wasn't the race you wanted to run, A. But like you told me, it wasn't just you and I think you need to give the conditions more credit, if that makes sense. You worked hard, kept going and made it to the finish. You're made of tough stuff! You're already looking ahead to the next race; take heart from that! It's a good sign!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Well done yesterday. It was a tough day as others have said. But this marathon stuff requires mental training as well as the physical and yesterday would certianly have helped in the former.

• Advertisement

I'm a believer in visualisation. Constantly visualise yourself having a great run and visualise the time you want on the clock. It works for me, and believing it's possible. Believe in yourself.

Will deffo try that Anne thanks it's funny had been at my daughters football blitz on Tuesday and they would huddle before the match and one would roar 'do you want this ' they'd all reply yeah they did it three times before their match and they were all hyped up. Found myself shouting it to myself at times during the run. Will have to be a little more positive with myself !!

RedRunner wrote: »
    Well done yesterday. It was a tough day as others have said. But this marathon stuff requires mental training as well as the physical and yesterday would certianly have helped in the former.

Agree totally it's half a mental battle. We will battle on !!

Really sorry it wasn't the race you wanted to run, A. But like you told me, it wasn't just you and I think you need to give the conditions more credit, if that makes sense. You worked hard, kept going and made it to the finish. You're made of tough stuff! You're already looking ahead to the next race; take heart from that! It's a good sign!

Sure we will live to tell the tale C :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Chalk it down to experience and move on. It seems like it was a horrible day and far from ideal conditions for running. A good training session for mental toughness. Those Phoenix Park runs seem fierce hilly as well - and Ballycotton only has the one hill!!. As a matter of interest, was your placing higher or lower than last year? Could be you werent the only one who had a bad day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Don't dwell on it too much, we all have bad days and those races. Take anything you can learn from it and look forward to improving it next time. I find with the mental wobble is there a particular point it happens? For me it's usually around halfway. It's helped me get through those races when I know it's only a regular, to be expected wobble! Conditions looked horrendous so plenty of encouragement to take away as well, all stands to you.

Good luck with the next few weeks training!

Chalk it down to experience and move on. It seems like it was a horrible day and far from ideal conditions for running. A good training session for mental toughness. Those Phoenix Park runs seem fierce hilly as well - and Ballycotton only has the one hill!!. As a matter of interest, was your placing higher or lower than last year? Could be you werent the only one who had a bad day.

Do you know I didn't even check my placing I must do that now and see.

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Don't dwell on it too much, we all have bad days and those races. Take anything you can learn from it and look forward to improving it next time. I find with the mental wobble is there a particular point it happens? For me it's usually around halfway. It's helped me get through those races when I know it's only a regular, to be expected wobble! Conditions looked horrendous so plenty of encouragement to take away as well, all stands to you.

Good luck with the next few weeks training!

Thanks Laura definately half way and the last few races has been when I look at the watch (sorry DG) and see I'm not on pace but with all the trees in the pp the watch would jump from 11 mins to 9 mins in seconds and I definately wasn't running 11 min pace so it was more when the avg pace would show after I completed the mile and I knew the pb was moving further away.

Well every cloud has a silver lining last year my placing was 2970 this year was 2627 last year my pacing in my age category was 108 and this year was 94 .... Not bad for an owl wan !!! Thanks M feeling better already :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Thanks Laura definately half way and the last few races has been when I look at the watch (sorry DG) and see I'm not on pace but with all the trees in the pp the watch would jump from 11 mins to 9 mins in seconds and I definately wasn't running 11 min pace so it was more when the avg pace would show after I completed the mile and I knew the pb was moving further away.

Stop looking at the watch so ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Just catching up here, was RD on Saturday getting soaked to the skin and the wind blew one of our signs right off its steak - I was thinking of all of ye in the park very glad I wasn't running, a tough course on a tough day so definitely chalk it down and move on. Learn from the head stuff, and the watch stuff though and change your strategy for the half marathon. Something I was advised to do is just look at the average pace (for the run, not each lap) so you can't see if you've dropped way off pace and let your head go with the pace...worth a try anyway :)

• Advertisement

Firedance wrote: »
    Just catching up here, was RD on Saturday getting soaked to the skin and the wind blew one of our signs right off its steak - I was thinking of all of ye in the park very glad I wasn't running, a tough course on a tough day so definitely chalk it down and move on. Learn from the head stuff, and the watch stuff though and change your strategy for the half marathon. Something I was advised to do is just look at the average pace (for the run, not each lap) so you can't see if you've dropped way off pace and let your head go with the pace...worth a try anyway :)

This is the strategy i've used for the last few races and in the marathon in Rotterdam. I only display avg pace for the race and i have a figure in my head that i want to get to, or as close as possible to. It has worked in all races so far. I tend to start slower than the ave pace and use it to speed up as i go through the race, also helps me not go off too fast, like i use to. Maybe worth a try..

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Stop looking at the watch so ;)

Sir yes sir !!! :)

Firedance wrote: »

Might try that AM thanks :)

This is the strategy i've used for the last few races and in the marathon in Rotterdam. I only display avg pace for the race and i have a figure in my head that i want to get to, or as close as possible to. It has worked in all races so far. I tend to start slower than the ave pace and use it to speed up as i go through the race, also helps me not go off too fast, like i use to. Maybe worth a try..

Thanks Anne will try anything to get me back on the positive track.

Week 9 of Marathon Training

Monday 22nd August

Day after the Frank Duffy was to do 4 to 6 miles recovery but felt very light headed and queasy on Sunday so decided to take a rest day on Sunday. Monday is normally my rest day so with a busy week this week and sports massage booked in for Wednesday I went out for 4 miles easy with 5 * 75m strides. All went well. 4 miles easy avg pace 10.28

Tuesday 23rd August

8 miles easy today so ran home from work. Bloody rain again, I am so sick of getting wet. I was very thankful to meet one of St Anne's Park Run gang 3 miles in and she ran with me to 6 miles so only 2 miles left on my own up through the park. 8 miles avg pace 10.39, splits 10.30. 10.58, 10.36, 10.43, 10.30, 10.32, 10.52, 10.34.

Wednesday 24th August

4 miles easy runmute back into work splits 11.55 (oops guess I was still asleep), 10.55, 10.53, 10.51. Sports massage booked for Wednesday evening she worked on the front and back of the legs and my back ouch but felt good after it.

Struggling with mojo this week but half way through cycle so guess thats only to be expected.

Friday 26th August Rest day

Saturday 27th August

Had my two 8 year old nieces sleeping over on Friday night and a day out Saturday with the pair of them doing viking splash and the natural history museum meant my run was pushed to the evening. Lucky for me Mrs KennyG was heading out so I hooked up with her as I was stuggling with motivation to get out the door. Even had a little power nap before the run ! Headed for the Kennys house and did a 4 mile loop down the Malahide Road where i had the pleasure of meeting the 7 or so dogs KennyG refers to in his reports. They could sense my fear and started barking as we approached. I told Mrs KennyG she could go on the inside to protect me (those of you who know Mrs KennyG and her petite size will laugh at that prospect but the dogs were all looking at me ready to pounce !!) After a succession of "get away" from the brave Mrs KennyG we were off again ! Leisurely run, much easier with company. 4.3 miles avg pace 10.38.

Sunday 28th August LSR day Up for the usual breakfast of champions porridge and tea, 20 mins stretching and off out the door at 9 am. 16 miles LSR on the plan today. Things are getting real :eek: After my awful performance last weekend the hills having a lot to do with this, even though we would build hills into our LSR's usually, we had discussed the merits of doing Howth Hill from Sutton direction and running up to the summit when we were driving from the FD 10 miler last week. I directed the query to FBOT in the hope he would say" no its too steep for you" "wait till after DCM before you do it", but no, he said it would do us no harm at all :mad::mad: so my running buddy decided that's the route for this weeks run :eek:. So mapped out the route and worked out an 8 mile route from my house to the summit and back. Was really nervous about this one as I have never done a hill like this before and its probably about 3 miles of a hill with a steady incline all the way to the summit. First few miles out the coast were grand and steady and enjoyed being out, weather was lovely. Once we hit the start of the incline in Sutton a light drizzle started but it didn't last long. This was tough I won't lie but I didn't bother too much about pace concentrating more on one foot after the other and picking out landmarks and aiming for each new landmark until at last we hit the summit pub. A owl glass of chardonnay would have been lovely at this stage but unfortunately had to turn and head all the way back again. Lots of runners and cyclists out today marathon fever is definately in the air and we were greeted and encouraged along the route by most runners we passed today. Passed FeenaM from the novices group last year on her way up the summit. Coming down the hill my left knee started to hurt and I could feel my stride changing to counteract the niggle I was feeling in the knee which probably isn't good. I am also having trouble with gels this year, I am using the ones that I used last year but the last couple of runs I have had stomach issues after taking them but wasn't sure if it was related to the gel or not. This run was going to be the tell tale whether I was going to continue on trying to take them had to take a pit stop into the marine in sutton to use the facilities as the stomach cramped on the way down the summit. Going to try the cliff shots next week to see if they work any better. Once I was back on the flat from sutton back to Clontarf the knee was fine. The last few miles of the run were tough be we battled on. Pleased with this milestone as its the longest run I have done this year yet. 16 miles avg pace 10.58 which I am really pleased with considering the hills. Missing 1 mile of splits due to watch trouble but the splits were 10.55, 10.36, 10.46, 10.50, 10.58, 11.36 (hill), 11.41 (hill), 11.21 (hill), 11.03, 10.40, 11.02, 10.33, 10.39

20 mins stretching and foam rolling when I got home. Knee was very sore after my shower so put some biofreeze on the side of my quad which FBOT thinks is causing it. Took two nurofen as well just in case there is any inflammation. Then headed off to Croke Park to the Dubs match. Was disgusted got a call from work and had to leave the match at half time to go into work .....:mad::mad: can't believe I missed the best match of the year according to my hubby, ah well onto the All Ireland Final now.

Total weekly miles 36.3 miles
    YTD 706.7 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Fat Turkey 10K for you post Xmas! Love that route. Did you not go right up to the top after The Summit pub ? That's the best bit. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Well done on the hilly LSR! You missed a cracking 2nd half alright! That was a real bummer. The joys of being on call. Glad I don't have to do that anymore.

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Fat Turkey 10K for you post Xmas! Love that route. Did you not go right up to the top after The Summit pub ? That's the best bit. :P

No had enough to the summit g I'm sure you're going to tell me there are lovely trails there too !!!

• Advertisement

RedRunner wrote: »
    Well done on the hilly LSR! You missed a cracking 2nd half alright! That was a real bummer. The joys of being on call. Glad I don't have to do that anymore.

This was the last weekend thankfully !! No interruptions for the final !!!

Advertisement