Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Never say never

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Ha ha I knew BG would remind you at the Summit pub is not the actual summit. The little climb up the side of it to the car park always feels like the steepest part of the hill to me but it's worth it for the view. Anyway you'd measured your route A, so you're excused!

Excellent run - mind the knee, sounds like the hubby is helping out with that already, no better man when it comes to the niggles.

Oh, and what were you thinking, answering the phone to a work number at half time? :rolleyes: :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Murph_D wrote: »
    Ha ha I knew BG would remind you at the Summit pub is not the actual summit. The little climb up the side of it to the car park always feels like the steepest part of the hill to me but it's worth it for the view. Anyway you'd measured your route A, so you're excused!

Excellent run - mind the knee, sounds like the hubby is helping out with that already, no better man when it comes to the niggles.

Oh, and what were you thinking, answering the phone to a work number at half time? :rolleyes: :)

Dr FBOT :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Sounds like a character building run A, good for you, hope the knee is feeling better today. You missed nothing, I had to stand out on the landing and listen to the 2nd half of the match as every time I came back into the room Kerry scored again :D:D whatever works!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Great week and very nice long run! Things looking good for you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

great run, that should help the confidence but mind the knee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

That's some hill alright, fair play. It's good to get a good session in at this stage. I hope the knee is ok. I know going uphill is hard, but the downhills can be tricky as well if your not used to it - it can play havoc with my quads anyway. I wouldn't feed to bad about the match - I was in work listening to it on the radio with someone from Kerry. To say they were gutted would be an understatement. Which reminds me, I must try and get my hands on a Dublin flag for Mrs. HBS if only to annoy the neighbours!

Firedance wrote: »
    Sounds like a character building run A, good for you, hope the knee is feeling better today. You missed nothing, I had to stand out on the landing and listen to the 2nd half of the match as every time I came back into the room Kerry scored again :D:D whatever works!!!

So it was your fault !!! :)

Younganne wrote: »
    great run, that should help the confidence but mind the knee.

Will do its quiet sore today so home to do some foam rolling on quads and some exercises M gave me to see will it make any difference.

That's some hill alright, fair play. It's good to get a good session in at this stage. I hope the knee is ok. I know going uphill is hard, but the downhills can be tricky as well if your not used to it - it can play havoc with my quads anyway. I wouldn't feed to bad about the match - I was in work listening to it on the radio with someone from Kerry. To say they were gutted would be an understatement. Which reminds me, I must try and get my hands on a Dublin flag for Mrs. HBS if only to annoy the neighbours!

Might be a little soon !!!

Ososlo wrote: »
    Great week and very nice long run! Things looking good for you!

So far so good A just get this knee sorted now and I'll feel a lot better.

• Advertisement

Monday 29th August

Rest day did foam rolling and some exercise Dr FBOT gave me for my knee which was niggling at me all day. Took a few nurofen and put biofreeze on the Side of my quads to try a relieve it. Bed early exhausted zzzzzzz

Tuesday 30th August

Knee still niggling but it's from sitting down as well I think. 4/6 miles easy on the plan tonight decided to stick to the lower mileage and see how the knee felt. Very nervous starting out afraid that it would buckle under me yes my inner drama queen was coming through. Knowing what said drama queen is like when the knee was hurting every stride for the first half mile I decided to stick the headphones in. I used to run with them all the time but under the watchful eye of DG last year I kicked that habit and rarely use them now. Felt the music might distract me and focus me on Justin timber lake Marti Pello and whatever other male hunk sang on my iPod and stop me stressing about the knee. To use tbl's phrase I kept the pace nursing home pace and headed for st Annes as I can pretty much get home from all areas of the ave so kept close to home in case my leg fell off .... Drama queen again. Once I hit the ave the pain was gone Justin timber lake was telling me he couldn't hide the feeling and I was running along quiet comfortably. Went down the ave and around the playground where I bumped Into duanington out on his 600 mile easy run looking very comfortable. Apologies if I shouted forgot I had headphones on. Didn't bother much with pace this was just an easy recovery run. Achilles acting up by the end of the run and knee ok so eveything back to normal !!!! Will continue with the stretching Epsom salt bath and foam rolling and hopefully all will be ok for long run at weekend. 4 miles avg pace 10.58

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

I was thinking I'd never seen you with the earphones alright A...

Marti Pello though? :eek:

Duanington wrote: »
    I was thinking I'd never seen you with the earphones alright A...

Marti Pello though? :eek:

A gotta love wet wet wet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Ice and some escentric heal drops in order A, good to hear knee
    better.

Wednesday 31st August

There was a 4 miles time trial on the plan today, with my knee still niggling I decided to just do a 4 miles easy with my main focus on the week being completing the 16 miles LSR niggle free. FBOT was delayed and McJnr had a match in Bushey park so I was on taxi duty. Threw the running gear on and used the opportunity while they were warming up to get my run in. 4 Miles Avg pace 10.28 splits 10.11, 10.25, 10.42, 10.37. A bit faster than my pace but wanted to get back to do mammy sideline duty. Knee was a bit sore afterwards but did some stretches when I got home.

Thursday 1st of Sept

Plan tonight was between 4/6 miles easy. Really needed to get a 6 mile in but decided I would head out to the park and just take it one mile at a time. Knee is niggling for the first half mile or so but I can feel it getting better just have the usual achilles pain, so almost back to normal !!:D Headed up to St Annes for this again kept it on the flat and did some of the park run route but avoided the hill up and down just to keep the route on the flat and give the knee a bit of a break.6 miles easy avg pace 10.43, splits 10,47, 10.47,11.06, 10.25, 10.06, 11.08

Friday 2nd Sept Rest day.

Saturday 3rd Sept

6 miles easy on the plan today so organised to meet Mrs KennyG at 8.30 in St Anne's for a pre park run run. What a horrible day more bloody rain, but we didn't let it dampen our spirits and got 3 miles in before park run started.3 mile Avg pace 10.57, splits 11.19, 10.35, 10.57. A good crowd down for park run despite the weather felt great running the route this morning, wasn't going for any particular time, just enjoyed my run, 3 miles avg pace 9.03 splits 9.03, 9.29, 8.49. Catch up coffees after where FBOT and Ferris were looking suitably pleased and dry after their long run to the phoneix park. Good to see MurphD not sporting any injuries today :P

Sunday 4th Sept

So this was what it was all about this week getting the 16 miles done. Up at 7 for breakfast and spent some time doing my additional stretches along with my usual stretches and some foam rolling before I headed out. My long run running buddy has been out of action with a hip injury since the Howth Summit run last weekend so not looking to run solo I roped in the help of Mrs KennyG and another park run buddy. Both were at Jnr park run in Albert College so I got 7 miles along the coast where I passed Duanington on his run, up Watermill Road onto the Howth Road and up Griffith Ave taking in Albert College in my route picking up the two girls to do a further 9 miles back again and onto the coast again. Knee only really niggled on Watermill Road on the hill up which was my 2nd mile had to stop and give the quad a stretch out and started back up again, was glad when I hit the drag on Griffith Ave it seemed to have loosened out and was fine again when we hit Watermill Road again on the 2nd loop. Picked another park run buddy up on Clontarf Road, finished off the run through St Anne's and back home. Was delighted to get this one out of the way and while the knee is still niggly I think its getting there. Did some further stretching and foam rolling when I got home, iced my achilles 10 mins each side twice after my shower, put on the compression socks and currently lying on the couch watching the hurling. Am tired so a little power nap might be required. 16 miles Avg pace 11.03, splits, 10.58, 11.13, 11.02, 10.50, 11.15, 11.21, 11.28, 10.33, 10.42, 11.04, 10.44, 10.56, 10.49, 11.53, 11.10, 10.44. Noticable drop in pace when going up Watermill Road, Up Griffith Ave and up Watermill Road the 2nd time but made the pace back on the downhill. Was also encouraging one of our group who was struggling and ran with her for a while to try and keep her going as all I was really concerned with today was getting the miles in. Delighted however with the average pace of 11.03 for this run. Only 8 weeks left :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Well done on getting the miles in on the LSR . Can totally relate to just needing to get those miles under the belt !

RedRunner wrote: »
    Well done on getting the miles in on the LSR . Can totally relate to just needing to get those miles under the belt !

Until the next weeks LSR ;(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Until the next weeks LSR ;(

a ha, yes indeed. My plan calls for 20 this weekend and that is scaring the hell out of me at the moment especially as I have to do 10 the day before!

Week 11 DCM training 7 weeks left

Monday 5th Sept

Back to Monday night Pilates was a great class when I told her about my knee niggle and the fact the class was small she did lots of leg stretches which were well needed.

Tues 6th Sept

8 * 400m intervals with 90 secs recovery. Was a bit anxious about the speed work and my knee as I haven't done any speed work since I hurt it. Cv pace is 2.07, AP is 2.01 and vo2 is 1.56 so somewhere in that range was the plan. Ran 1 mile wu to St Annes and met a running buddy. While she is a lot faster than me the company doing intervals is good. Passed Killerz looking quite relaxed on a bench with Killerz Jnr watching the world go by. Found this session tough quads were sore by the end but I got them done miscalculated one 400 but other than that all was ok.

Lap 1 1.43
    Lap 2 miscalculated distance 1.26
    Lap 3 1.55
    Lap 4 1.58
    Lap 5 1.58
    Lap 6 1.59
    Lap7 1.53
    Lap 8 1.55

1 mile cd

5 miles avg pace 10.21

Wednesday 7th Sept

8 miles easy on the plan today. My legs were very tired and achey in work today and my knee was hurting when I'd get up from my desk. Went out to the chemist and got some biofreeze and put it on the side of my thighs and did a bit of stretching before I headed off. Decided I'd head for the Clontarf coast so that I could head for home at various stages of the run if needs be. The knee did loosen out after the first half mile or so.
    8 miles avg pace 11.03

While my knee is getting better it's starting to mess with my head in that I'm over analysing ever niggle and twinge during my run so I've made an appointment with my physio just to get it checked and have an app for Friday morning.

Thursday 8th Sept

Eldest Mc Jnr returned from her j1 summer in New York today so didn't sleep great last night constantly looking at the time and checking her flight status. So silly cause she wasn't due in till 10 in the morning was a little excited I think. Orders for a Christmas dinner meant I'd have to get my run done late afternoon while the turkey was cooking !!! 6 miles easy on the plan. Feeling tired my body is aching everywhere am definately at mid marathon stage now the way I'm feeling. My long run buddy is out of DCM now injured since our howth hill run which is terrible for her getting this far and not being able to keep going. So I'll keep going and not moan. Felt the need for help today so stuck in the headphones and had a mixture of rock pop and hip hop to keep me going. Run felt OK pace was ok started raining got soaked. Lovely smell of Christmas dinner when I came home. 8 miles avg pace 10.55

Physio in the morning.
    Rest day tomorrow.
    I'm Christmas Day stuffed :) happy with my baby being home safe n sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

I'm Christmas Day stuffed :) happy with my baby being home safe n sound.

Irish mammies are the best :D good luck with the physio tomorrow!

• Advertisement

Firedance wrote: »
    Irish mammies are the best :D good luck with the physio tomorrow!

Thanks AM ! Yes we are the best !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

No messing around on the interval, straight into top end of the range
    good session.

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    No messing around on the interval, straight into top end of the range
    good session.

Thanks g

Good news from physio just a bit of tendinitis in my knee she did some work on it gave out to me for doing howth hill and asked where on the DCM route had a hill like that that would require such hill training .... No more howth hill for me till after DCM. Glad I went now have some exercises to do and have the all clear to keep going. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Good news from physio just a bit of tendinitis in my knee she did some work on it gave out to me for doing howth hill and asked where on the DCM route had a hill like that that would require such hill training .... No more howth hill for me till after DCM. Glad I went now have some exercises to do and have the all clear to keep going. :)

Wasn't it AULDBOT01 that told you to run that hill :)

TbL

TbL

Yes it was himself and Ferris told me I'd be grand !!!! Will have to have words :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

TbL

It was not AULDBOT01's suggestion. AULDBOT01 did not, however, object because AULDBOT01 is AULD and has learned that sometimes in life one needs to learn from ones own experiences ;)

Yes it was himself and Ferris told me I'd be grand !!!! Will have to have words :)

And reading from the posts above it would appear from your LR on Sunday, your intervals earlier in the week and the physio view this morning that you are grand :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

FBOT01 wrote: »
    It was not AULDBOT01's suggestion.

Memory loss is quiet common with the elderly, I believe you A.

• Advertisement

tang1 wrote: »
    Memory loss is quiet common with the elderly, I believe you A.

I remember well enough hauling your a$$ around a 10miler earlier this year. You've obviously forgotten which side your bread is buttered on :p

Advertisement