Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Never say never

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    After seeing the pained faces today it didn't really give me any urge to try xc :)

:D you and me both, A. Sorry I missed you today, you were gone by the time we found the lads after. Good luck as a Shamrock!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Thanks for the support today, A, and great call to join the club!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Yay on joining the Shamrocks! Well done! Glad to see you're out running again. I'm going to be doing the same, just taking it easy and slowly gaining back my speed and confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Yay on joining the Shamrocks! Well done! Glad to see you're out running again. I'm going to be doing the same, just taking it easy and slowly gaining back my speed and confidence.

Great to hear you're getting back to it take it handy and enjoy it. See you at the raheny 5.

So this week was just going to be another week of easy running just to see how the leg holds up.

Mon 9th Jan rest day

Tuesday 10th no running due to safe guard training for junior park run. The marvellous Mrs KennyG is going to be RD for this great new event in St Anne's so I said I'd help out.

Wednesday 11th Jan back to Pilates a good class and felt it on Thursday morning.

Thursday 12th Jan can't believe it's already Thursday and I haven't run :( I need to get a little better organised and back into my run mutting next week. Joined Mrs KennyG for this one the snow was just starting when we hit Clontarf Coast it was freezing and an icy wind blowing from town. 4 miles avg pace 9.54.

Friday 13th decide to do a circuits class in the local GAA club start building up my strength. Really enjoyed this and the body was hurting in places I didn't know I had muscles.

Saturday 14th could not walk down the stairs after the circuits class last night oh my god. Went up to St Annes for park run and PJD and LauraAC kept me company on this one. Was delighted with the company and their chatter to keep me distracted. While the pace was easy I found it tough which is down to my lack of running over the past few months. Definately need to work on my fitness. 3 miles avg pace 9.47

Sunday 15th joined a few of the park run gang this morning for a recce of the Raheny 5 mile course. Enjoyed the run the fitness definately stopping my chatter and replacing it with huffing and puffing towards the end of the run. 5 miles avg pace 10.09

A low week of mileage but on the upside no twinges in my leg and I'm happy with how the recovery is going and I got some nice steady runs. Ballycotton is 8 weeks out so will dust off one of the graduates plans and get stuck into a structured plan for this race. Need to build up my strength and fitness lose some Xmas lbs.

Weekly mileage 12.2

• Advertisement

Easy does it A, you'll build back up in time. Are you doing Raheny 5?

annapr wrote: »
    Easy does it A, you'll build back up in time. Are you doing Raheny 5?

Yeah but not hoping for a pb fitness levels are just not all there. Will run it give it a good lash hopefully. What about you ?

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Yeah but not hoping for a pb fitness levels are just not all there. Will run it give it a good lash hopefully. What about you ?

Same, will see you out there :)

Monday 16th Jan Rest day

Tues 17th Jan

5 miles easy, legs were very heavy in the first mile which I found very frustrating, but battled on and the times gradually got faster. Turned into a progression run in the end 11.05,10.32, 10.10, 9.58, 9.55. Avg pace 10.20

Wed 18th Jan

First runmute since DCM, felt good to be back running regularly, splits 10.52, 10.32, 10.16, 10.18, 10.18. Avg pace 10.26

Thurs 19th Jan

After joining Raheny Shamrocks decided I would try the speed sessions with the club tonight. Did a warm up to the coast. The session was 12 * 200 mtrs, found these very trough and it really showed my lack of fitness but something to work on at least. While I didn't look at the watch during it I did record it so I could check with the resident coach at home what I should be doing the sessions at and what level I was currently at. Anaerobic pace is where I should have been which for me is 52.9 - 51.3, didn't do too bad but definately something to work on. splits were 53, 54, 54, 56, 52, 58, 56, 55, 56, 54, Found these very tough and the legs were very sore after them. Will definately do them again.

Friday 20th Jan

Decided against the circuit class I was planning on doing as the legs particularly the hamstrings were very sore from the speed session. Rest day instead.

Saturday 21st Jan

St Anne's Park Run with PJD, gradually getting the pace back. Avg pace 9.20 splits 9.22, 9.25, 9.23. Good to catch up with a few of the boardies for coffee afterwards

Sunday 22nd Jan

Another recce of the Raheny 5 route with PJD and some others from St Anne's PR. 10.25, 10.05, 9.48, 10.02, 9.51

Weekly mileage is a more respectable 22 miles still some work to do to get back to where I need to be but all going in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Club sessions are tough ! But good ! What recovery did you get for the 200s ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Bungy Girl wrote: »

Just enough to puke and get back to start for next one :pac:

Bungy Girl wrote: »

It felt like 1 min but I'd say it was 1min 30 I stand to be corrected though. Will pay more attention the next time.

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Just enough to puke and get back to start for next one :pac:

And get a drink of water !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

You have the carb loading done now go run like hell Sunday, all the best A.

tang1 wrote: »
    You have the carb loading done now go run like hell Sunday, all the best A.

Cheers B :)

So much for getting into a plan and proper running this week has been a disaster trying to get out running. Between work and life getting in the way only managed to get out once before the weekend.

Tues 24 the Jan 6 miles avg pace 10.24 splits 9.41, 10.24, 10.21, 10.22, 10.46, 10.48. Enjoyed this run feel like things getting back.

Wed 25th had to cancel planned runmute home due to delay in work. Pilates later great class.

Thursday 26th had planned to run at lunch time but meeting that ran through lunch put a stop to that and was out then Thursday night.

Other commitments Friday and Saturday .... more no running :(

Raheny 5 Sunday 29th Jan

This is a great run and one of my favourites and a great start to the running year. With fitness levels still not where I'd like them to be decided I would give this race a good lash while not expecting a pb I wanted to get an idea or where the fitness levels were. Not a great day weather wise with the rain starting quiet early. But no wind was good and it wasn't too cold. This was to be my first outing in the raheny shamrock colours. Was a bit apprehensive about wearing it feeling some pressure of running well and also the fact that me and M were the first to register for the race so I was no 1 and M was no 2..... no pressure had visions of me and mick cloheisey alongside each other !!! Did a bit of a warm up and met up with the pr gang. Was to run with PJD but couldn't see him so headed off to start line and got ready for the off.

Mile 1 the usual congestion but kept the pace steady great support all along the route and was loving the support my Raheny kit was getting. M had said to aim for 9 min miles and see how I felt. 8.58 happy with that.

Mile 2 9.11, mile 3 9.08, was feeling good watched the form tried to keep the pace steady enjoyed the support throughout the route.

Was starting to feel it in my legs now entering the park but kept going trying to concentrate on breathing and form. Found the avenue long and never ending and was glad of the turn which meant I was on the home straight mile 4 9.15.

I was getting tired now and could see my pace drop on the watch when I heard the ever cheerful PJD behind me telling me the hardship he had trying to catch me from the back of the running group since the start of the race cause he was late and I now had to pay back and give it socks to the finish. I told him to go on. But no he roared and shouted at me to move it wasn't long now. He's a little stubborn like that but great in that I upped the pace. As we approached the final meters got a roar from Aquinn and Annie get your run and TFGR all helping to get me to the finish. PJD wasn't giving in insisting on sprint finish and I gave it my all.

Official time 45.46 previous pb is 44.01 for this distance. Happy enough with the result some work to do for ballycotton but it gives me a sense of where I'm at.

Fantastic flapjacks as usual from Denisb and great to catch up with all the boardies afterwards lots of pbs and happy runners. Finished off with celebratory pints in Raheny with the PR gang.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Well done A, nothing like a race to bring fitness on. Onward and upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

No.1 bib - :cool: You need to frame that!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭PJD

Woop woop! Didnt realise you were No.1..... At least the pecking order in the Mac household is clear! Apologies to Mrs Mac for not being earlier. I got tied up at the bag area and then stuck at the back of the pack. In fairness the narrow streets for the first km are not conducive to running side by side and I was delighted to catch Mrs Mac in the last km in order to photobomb her pictures. The support was amazing at the end and the shouts for Mrs Mac and her Raheny shirt made the effort worthwhile! Good job Mrs Mac- even if you were calling me a fecker in your head. Next year we are going sub 40! Great event and Denis' flapjacks were sublime as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I swear racing with a club vest is worth anywhere from 20 seconds to a min depending on the race length :) Well done again and great that there was not a peep from the niggle! Lovely as always to catch up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Great stuff A, very well done yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Well done yesterday A. Hopefully injuries are on the way out.

Saw Mick Clohisey in St Annes at lunchtime today running around anxiously looking for his number. You need to set a precedent now and keep it.

Ferris B wrote: »
    Well done yesterday A. Hopefully injuries are on the way out.

Saw Mick Clohessy in St Annes at lunchtime today running around anxiously looking for his number. You need to set a precedent now and keep it.
    Absolutely he just couldn't keep up with me and M he is so needy !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Great to see you back racing mrs and enjoying it injury free. This race was the exact same for me last year, knew I wasn't in PB territory but was great to get that racing feeling back and give it a really good effort on the day. Great way to kickstart the year and get focused on some targets and a plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Well done A. Great run and a great event. Mr and Mrs "Mrs Mc" looked smashing in his and hers Club Jackets afterwards.

What a disastrous week. Was all set to get stuck into the graduates plan from last year which involves 5 days of running 60 mins easy 40 mins easy some speed work and then allowing me to incorporate a park run and long run the the weekend. Was all fired up and raring to go after my rest day Monday. Worked out all my paces. Life unfortunately got in the way so not a great week running.

Tuesday 6 miles easy avg pace 10.31 did a loop of Clontarf first mile was slow but gradually got on pace. Feeling very tired this week very busy in work and it's taking its toll a bit. Splits 11.06, 10.26, 10.16, 10.38, 10.25, 10.21. Felt great after this run.

Wednesday had a planned run but got delayed in work and with training for jnr park run that night didn't get out at all.

Thursday and Friday working late and getting a head cold. God I'm such a moaney a*se :)

Saturday While I wanted to stay in bed in need of zzzz'sss I dragged myself out of the bed and up to parkrun. Catch up with Toulouse who very kindly kept me company on this route. Cold morning but an enjoyable run. Avg pace 9.21 splits 9.29, 9.27, 9.20. Great to see such high numbers again and good to catch up with everyone for post run coffees.

Sunday was the launch of jnr park run in St Annes with the wonderful Mrs KennyG as event director. With a promised birthday outing with my nephew in the afternoon it would have to be an early start for my run before jnr park run. Up and out at 7.30 am couldn't believe how dark it still was. Met up with one of my run buddies and we headed into St Anne's what a beautiful morning the park looked amazing untouched frosty playing fields on a crisp clear morning. Had a lovely 6 miles run. Had toyed with doing 8 miles to up my weekly mileage but got a talking to from FBOT to keep it to 6 miles. So did what I was told. Avg pace 10.27 splits 11.16, 10.26,10.20, 10.21,10.16, 10.06.

Finished off at the jnr parkrun start point to help get set up, a whopping 218 kids turned up, what a fantastic event and such energy. Great to see so many of the St Annes crew and boards crew involved in the event, was delighted to be involved in it. :)

Hopefully work will not be as bad next week and running will be back to normal.

Good to see you today A.... think we all need to retire, work is interfering with our running! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Not a great week, but not a bad one either;) You might find it will do you a world of good energy wise. Fair play on the Junior PR and great to see its such a resounding success already!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Snap on the head cold front. Tough week but you're back now, that's the main thing! Well done on getting out early on a Sunday, always a great to have the miles in before breakfast!

• Advertisement

annapr wrote: »
    Good to see you today A.... think we all need to retire, work is interfering with our running! :p

For sure think you and me are taking turns in crap weeks running with work !!!

Advertisement