Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Never say never

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

diego_b wrote: »
    Well done on the 5K PB A, hope that hamstring is okay!

Cheers D rest day tomorrow and Pilates tomorrow night so hopefully will be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Wooo hooo A.... Great stuff on the PB...it's not long since you thought you would never break 26!! So you earned the cake at Donadea! Hope the hamstring is ok now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

annapr wrote: »
    Wooo hooo A.... Great stuff on the PB...it's not long since you thought you would never break 26!! So you earned the cake at Donadea! Hope the hamstring is ok now.

+1, happy days on the pb, loads more to come as well. Mind that hamstring, something similar happened to me a few years ago. Don't be afraid to take the few rest days and a physio/sports therapist appointment if needs be. Hope it's OK soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Well done on the PB A - keep up the good work !

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭PJD

Saw the short(er) run on strava. You are being too hard on yourself. Saturday was a big effort plus it was cold. I didnt warm down enough and felt it yesterday so took a rest. Follow the plan but dont suffer because of it. Rest up. See you saturday. P. Ps- the pb was all yours- I was just yapping away to distract from the pain!

• Advertisement

PJD wrote: »
    Saw the short(er) run on strava. You are being too hard on yourself. Saturday was a big effort plus it was cold. I didnt warm down enough and felt it yesterday so took a rest. Follow the plan but dont suffer because of it. Rest up. See you saturday. P. Ps- the pb was all yours- I was just yapping away to distract from the pain!

Yeah I didn't warm up or stretch afterwards at park run so putting it down to that. Pilates tonight so that usually gives the hamstrings a good stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Tiger balm for the hamstring. Cures everything....

Ferris B wrote: »
    Tiger balm for the hamstring. Cures everything....

Never thought to try that used it on all my long runs during marathon training for the calves .... Sure I'll smell gorgeous !! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Congrats on the PB Mrs Mc.

jake1970 wrote: »
    Congrats on the PB Mrs Mc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

How's the twinge after pilates?

It seems to be gone but I haven't run since Sunday. In Galway with work so the intention was to hit the gym in the hotel when I got here but delayed hitting the road from Dublin , caught in traffic and awful weather coming down has me knackered so canned that idea and might get to bed early and get up in the morning for a swim or run before work. Will keep you posted.

Monday 15 Feb Pilates tonight lots of core work felt really sleepy after it not sure why.

Tues 16 travel with work great intentions of using hotel facilities but was wrecked after the drive down I'm such a woss. Terrible nights sleep so plans of early session in the gym also gone.

Wed 17 Feb

Graduates plan is back in action this week with 50 mins easy. Decided against the winter series 2 miler with Raheny Shamrocks tonight even though I enjoy these felt it was better to take it easy after my hamstring twinge on Sunday. Decided to head for the coast so layered up taking the first mile very handy to test the water. Other than tired legs that needed to be loosened out first mile went with no twinges so upped the pace to where it should be for the next 4 miles. Avg pace 10.29 splits 11.01, 10.20, 10.13, 10.22, 10.23. No twinges bar the usual which have just become the norm now but happy to say the hamstring seems fine :). Spent 20 mins doing Gerard Hartman rope stretches and foam rolling when I came home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Spent 20 mins doing Gerard Hartman rope stretches and foam rolling when I came home.

interestingly the talk BG and I were at on Monday talked about how doing strength sessions eliminates the need to spend 20 mins foam rolling after a run, I can't corroborate though as I'm woeful at sticking to my own ST :D

Glad the hamstring is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Firedance wrote: »
    interestingly the talk BG and I were at on Monday talked about how doing strength sessions eliminates the need to spend 20 mins foam rolling after a run, I can't corroborate though as I'm woeful at sticking to my own ST :D

Tell us more. Did they recommend particular strength sessions?

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Tell us more. Did they recommend particular strength sessions?

They gave us an outline of one alright, they mentioned the meat & spuds oft a session such as deadlifts, squats & then the other suplementry exercises like single arm rows, single leg squat etc, I think I made some notes . They're repeating the talk though check their website (sports clinic santry) you should both go along.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

They gave us an outline of one alright, they mentioned the meat & spuds oft a session such as deadlifts, squats & then the other suplementry exercises like single arm rows, single leg squat etc, I think I made some notes . They're repeating the talk though check their website (sports clinic santry) you should both go along.

Cheers AM. I will check it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

interestingly the talk BG and I were at on Monday talked about how doing strength sessions eliminates the need to spend 20 mins foam rolling after a run...

There's a need for that? Have to say I'm very averse to the auld roller. Hopefully I'll get away with it a bit longer! :p

It was probably more 20 mins stretching and the 2 * 1 mins on the foam roller on the calves and hamstring. Would be bored of my head doing 20 mins foam rolling !!!

Thursday 18th Feb

60 mins easy on the plan today. Still exhausted after my trip to Galway must be the effect of leaving the city limits !!! Text Mrs KennyG to see if she wanted to keep me company but Kenny Jnr wasn't well and would not let G out of her sight. KennyG however said he had a recovery run to do assured me a 10.20 pace was good for him so met him in Raheny for this one. Very cold out tonight. Didn't look at my watch much as the pace felt steady and decided I'd just keep up with G. Didn't pass any runners out tonight they must all have sense to say in their warm homes. Headed down the howth road and onto the coast to a lovely clear night perfect for running. FBOT had given me a route to loop back to Raheny that was to give us 6 miles. Was disgusted that we were only hitting 4.5 miles coming up Watermill Road. Cross words will be had !! So we looped around the Raheny 5 finish. This is where I introduced G to my OCD side. You can't stop a run at 5.74 miles so I made him run around the block so that we clocked 6 miles don't mind if it goes over the 6 so long as it's 6. I know there's more of you out there !! Was delighted with the pace of this run avg pace 10.02, splits 10.13, 9.57, 9.53, 9.58, 9.58, 10.14. Distance 6.02 Miles. Happy with this one I must do a lot of day dreaming when I run on my own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Thursday 18th Feb

This is where I introduced G to my OCD side. You can't stop a run at 5.74 miles so I made him run around the block so that we clocked 6 miles don't mind if it goes over the 6 so long as it's 6. I know there's more of you out there !!

What are you on about? This is COMPLETELY NORMAL.

This is where I introduced G to my OCD side. You can't stop a run at 5.74 miles so I made him run around the block so that we clocked 6 miles don't mind if it goes over the 6 so long as it's 6. I know there's more of you out there !!

MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! LOVE IT :D you're so right, you can do 6.1 - 6.3 but then you're bordering on the opps better bring it to 6.5, once you're over the .5 though you HAVE to go to the next mile :D:D:D

aquinn wrote: »
    What are you on about? This is COMPLETELY NORMAL.

Thank you !!! KennyG just weird ! :)

MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! LOVE IT :D you're so right, you can do 6.1 - 6.3 but then you're bordering on the opps better bring it to 6.5, once you're over the .5 though you HAVE to go to the next mile :D:D:D

Ha ha knew there was more of you there my neighbours must think I'm cracked running past my gate just to get the distance correct. One bad day during marathon training I passed my house/road 3 times.... There were tears that day ;( ha ha

Fri 19th Feb
    Rest

Sat 20th Feb

Life got seriously in the way today. Between going to a wake last night, an anniversary mass this morning, a fund raiser for the hospice that my neighbour was having and a removal this evening, my mood was not the best this evening and the last thing I wanted to do was go running. Particularly as it was a pyramid type session and it was dark and I just didn't feel like going. But I knew that once I got out the door it was going to be just the tonic I needed. So the graduates plan had 10 mins warm up, 7,6,5 mins @10km pace with 3 mins recovery and then 3,2,1 mins @5km pace with 2 mins recovery and 10 mins cool down. So back to pace calculation again. Working off my 10km PB which is 56.51 and my new Mc Millan target which is 53.35 I decided to go somewhere in the middle which was 55 mins which was a pace of around 9.10 a mile. My recent pb for 5km was about 8.27 a mile. Decided to hit the coast again for this one, to avoid crossing any roads or traffic lights.

10 mins w/u pace 10.40
    7 mins pace 9.02
    6 mins pace 9.02
    5 mins pace 8.59
    3 mins pace 8.08 probably too fast
    2 mins pace 7.50 okay need some work on this
    1 min pace 7.42
    10 mins c/d 11.17

Total distance 5.8 miles time 58.06 mins average pace 9.59 yes KennyG I did run past my gate to get 58 mins and not 57.16

Need to work on the 5km pace mins did them too fast I reckon and did them more like strides instead of 5km pace. Putting this down to the settings on my watch didn't have pace and time on the same setting so had to flick between them and I was trying to be not too dependant on the watch and start to understand my pace a bit better..... need to do some more work on this I think !!! Felt great after the run and it was just what I needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Sounds like a lot of demands on your time and emotions at the moment... but that's what I love about running - so good for the head. Sounds like it was indeed just the tonic. Fair play.

Killerz wrote: »
    Sounds like a lot of demands on your time and emotions at the moment... but that's what I love about running - so good for the head. Sounds like it was indeed just the tonic. Fair play.

Yes if you could bottle how you feel after a run you'd be rich, its just the getting out the door is hard !!!:D

Fair play to you for getting out the door, its half the battle most of the time for sure. Super session too A :)

Fair play to you for getting out the door, its half the battle most of the time for sure. Super session too A :)

Thanks AM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Good going given the circumstances. Sometimes I think I run better when there's some real life stuff going on :)

Advertisement