Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Never say never

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Congrats, A, a very good day for the Mcs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Super well done A. Looking forward to the report on the agony and ecstasy of that pb:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Murph_D wrote: »
    Congrats, A, a very good day for the Mcs.

Thanks D well done too on your pb

denis b wrote: »
    Super well done A. Looking forward to the report on the agony and ecstasy of that pb:D

Thanks D it was a tough one !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Well done Missus! A double-PB household, nice! :) Hope you're recovering well.

• Advertisement

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Well done Missus! A double-PB household, nice! :) Hope you're recovering well.

Thanks A , all that marathon training is paying off. Some niggles in my knee today but other than that all good. now to move onto the next thing which which will be the 10 km pb only distance I didn't pb in last year.

This week was to a bit of an easier week with the Ballycotton 10 race on Sunday. Graduates thread had given us two plan options for this week one for racing and one if we weren't racing. After the pitiful mileage last week due to work and life getting in the way, my head was messing with me saying that I wasn't ready for Sunday the usual doubts kept creeping in during the week and more niggles than normal !. Was glad of the easier plan this week and aimed to try and catch up on some sleep too.

Monday 29th Pilates
    Tuesday 1st Mar rest day
    Wednesday 2nd Mar the plan had 4 miles easy so that's what I did pace felt a bit sluggish and did an average of 10.33 a mile. Splits 10.53, 10.40, 10.15, 10.27
    Thursday 3rd Mar decided against the interval session and went for the 4 miles easy again, freezing cold tonight and still felt a bit sluggish did an average of 10.39 a mile tonight, splits 10.39, 10.40.10.59,10.20.
    Friday rest day
    Saturday 5th Mar 15 min recovery run on the plan today so decided to get this in before we hit the road to Ballycotton. Fabulous morning along the coast, did 2 miles around the block, very cold but fresh splits were 10.29, 9.28. Then we were ready for the off packed up the car and headed for Cork.

Sunday 6th of March - Ballycotton 10 mile race, official time and PB 1.31.24 average pace 9.05 :)

Hadn't had a great week running last week and was feeling very sluggish the last two weeks running so was very nervous about this race. Had done it for the first time last year in 1.35.32 and then pb'd my 10 mile time at the Frank Duffy in August at 1.34.41 during marathon training. Mc Millian had set a target of 1.29.33 for the year for me which I didn't think was achievable but seeing as I had M in the car for the next 2 and half hours there was no getting away from strategy talk and planned race pace .... poor M !. Forgetting that men don't do the softly softly approach I was more or less told " well you can go out and enjoy the race or you can go out run it and enjoy the pb afterwards, its up to you" but we settled on a pace of somewhere between 9 and 9.10 depending on how I felt on the day, one obviously getting me the sub 1.30 the other getting me a pb.

Arrived in Ballycotton to a fabulous day but the talk in town was that the locals felt the rain was coming on Sunday but they were hoping it wouldn't come till 2, so either way I was going to get wet ! Thankfully I had packed running gear for every weather type so felt I was covered for whatever situation the weather threw at me Sunday. Had a walk over the cliffs in the afternoon on Saturday and some food in the pub afterwards and just chilled out for the remainder of the evening. Up early the next morning to the usual pre race food of porridge and rasberries a Berocca boost and a cup of tea, not all together obviously. The rain started mid morning and it didn't look like it would stop. Spent a bit of time stretching and foam rolling but felt the morning drag I would have preferred and early start for the race as I agonised over what to wear, what to bring in my bag, wasted energy stressing !!. We had rented a house on the main street so it was a great spot for any of the runners we knew coming down to stop in for a cuppa or drop bags so it passed the morning, Annapr, Murphd and the boys dropped in to say hi and Yaboya and E dropped off their gear before heading to the start line.

Suddenly it was time to go and off we went I was half way up to the start line when I decided it was cold and I should probably put on my running sleeves which I had already on earlier and decided to take off ... so back I ran to the house got them and ran back to catch up on the others - ah well it was a warm up of sorts. I was very nervous at this stage. Stood around in our black bin bags till the start and seemed like a lot of hanging around at the start before we were off. The first mile is out of the village and quiet narrow so its difficult to get into any decent pace until you get out of the village. Its all down hill but I didn't weave in and out as DG taught us and kept an eye on the watch to make sure I was keeping to a reasonable time. Once we were out of the village there was plenty of room for everyone and found myself settle down. The legs felt good and I felt I was keeping it steady but working hard enough to get that pb. First mile clocked in at 9.01, delighted with myself I moved onto the next mile and that's pretty much how I handled the race taking each mile one at a time. There was some down hills for the next two miles so decided to take advantage of that knowing that the last mile was a hill into the village so was delighted to clock 8.53 and 8.59 for the next two miles.

Mile 4 had a drag and started to feel it in the legs here clocking 9.09 on this mile (note to self do a bit more hill work in future !) but was happy it was still within my planned range. Was really enjoying the run (but working hard at the same time in case FBOT is reading this !!!) the surface on some of the run was in bad condition after the recent rain and flooding they have been having and found this hard to run on as there was a lot of loose stones. Hit half way at 9.09 again, was starting to get a bit annoyed at myself here that I wasn't getting closer to the 9 mins but I was still going to get a pb with this pace. The crowds are great on the run but they gather only in certain places so the run can be quiet in certain spots. By now I was running with the same group who seemed to be going at the same pace. Kept my eyes on a runner ahead of me and tried to keep with her pace for the next few miles which seemed to work. Mile 6 and 7 both clocked 9.06 and to be honest I can't remember much about these miles other than they were a bit downhill.

Coming on mile 8 I knew that the hill was coming up at the end of the run and started to try and kick up the legs to loosen them out a bit clocked 9.03 on this mile. Then the hill starts into the village, its a steady climb and its hard on the legs, baby steps I kept telling myself just keep going, the crowd definitely get you through this part of the course as they get louder as you get closer to the village, you can now start to hear the PA at the finish and know that the end is in sight. Clocked 9.25 on this mile so that was the 1.30 plan well and truly gone but a good pb still on offer. Around this spot last year I spotted my friends 16 year old niece and low and behold there she was again practically in the same spot only 17 this year and aiming for a pb also. So I decided for an owl wan like myself I could take her again having beaten her last year. Started to up the pace then I spotted FBOT, Yaboya, Annapr and Murph at the house roaring at me to come on, I nearly shouted at them to be quiet so that the young 17 year old who didn't even look like she was sweating would hear me coming up behind her, I passed her out (thanks to their shouts of support), now the test, was she going to come back at me. Of course she was and came up she came on my shoulder and said hi to me without even sounding breathless. I couldn't even acknowledge her I was wrecked, but I sprinted on leaving her a bit behind me. Came across the next of our group who started shouting me on but then they started shouting for young 17 year old non sweating non breathless kid who was coming swiftly behind me. We were approaching the finish line and I could hear her behind me, I did a quick look over the shoulder and there she was gaining pace, no way so I belted on and she took me right to the finish for a photo finish moment of which I came out victorious. We had a very sporting hug after getting our very well earned Ballycotton 10 mugs and I congratulated her on her fantastic pb of 1.31 where she had completed the course in 1.36 last year oh to be young again. I was chuffed with my pb and delighted that all the doubt I was feeling earlier in the week had been proven wrong. The graduates plan is obviously working. 17 year old claims she will get me next year however, so will have to work on the hills for next year. Great to catch up with everyone for warm cups of tea and cake back in the house and to hear how everyone else had done, lots of pbs and good runs completed by all. Some well earned pints and a celebratory dinner that evening. All in all its a great race and I do enjoy it (but worked hard !!!). The weather wasn't the best but to be honest would prefer those conditions to the heat last year. Its a well organised event and the course is a tough one but not the worst. It was a good day out and good to catch up with some familiar faces on the day. Knee is a bit niggley today but hoping its nothing to worry about. Now onto the 10km pb next.

Splits 9.01, 8.53, 8.59, 9.09, 9.09, 9.06, 9.06, 9.03, 9.26, 9.02

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

LOVE IT - age beats youth every day of the week :D well done A, super race and sub 1:30 is knocking right at your door now, along with that sub 25!! I'm looking over my shoulder, your coming to get me :eek:

Firedance wrote: »
    LOVE IT - age beats youth every day of the week :D well done A, super race and sub 1:30 is knocking right at your door now, along with that sub 25!! I'm looking over my shoulder, your coming to get me :eek:

Ah I've a bit to go yet AM one step at a time !! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭diego_b

Excellent report and well done again! I was in the same boat as you yesterday morning quite twitchy wishing the race as a few hours earlier!

• Advertisement

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Ah I've a bit to go yet AM one step at a time !! :)

no you don't ;) what's the next goal by the way, apologies if you've said already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Great report, A.... You did mention once or twice afterwards about your victory over the young one... :). I laughed at your description of going past us, we all remarked that you were looking very focused, little did we know that you were after the competition :pac:

And well done again on the PB! Oh and thanks for the tea and cakes :)

10 km is the next goal didn't manage to pb at this distance last year so was hoping to do the kclub but it was originally on the same weekend as Boston so signed up for the great Ireland. Now it's changed to that weekend so still deciding. Then it's the terenure 5 mile in May didn't pb in the Raheny 5 so will give it another lash here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Well done on the pb Mrs. Plenty more to come!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great stuff, A, well done on the PB and sprint finish especially!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Firedance wrote: »

Not if age keep worrying about stopping her watch rather than running through the line like youth did :D

Great run and very entertaining report A. Congrats all round. Really liked your mid race move when you decided to focus on runner in front. It got you out of the pack so that you could push on for that pb.

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Not if age keep worrying about stopping her watch rather than running through the line like youth did :D

Still beat her and didn't stop watch till I crossed line !

Bless me father for I have sinned and only run two days this week ..... Oh the guilt.....

Mon 7th March Pilates

Decided to take a break this week after the ballycotton 10 mile at the weekend have been feeling sluggish in the run up to the race and to be honest have lost some mojo. So decided to take a bit of a break. Not sure by the end of the week how I felt about missing days everyone seemed to be running around me and I did experience terrible guilt.

With a weekend away with the girls planned I went out for 4 miles easy on Friday morning enjoyed this run before hitting the road for Clare fantastic day and perfect start to the weekend. Felt good after my few days break avg pace 10.25

Actually packed the running gear for the weekend and got up early Saturday morning for another 4 miles easy in the company of my sister avg pace was 10.35. It was one of those good to be alive runs along the prom in Lahinch how could you not enjoy the amazing rough sea crashing waves onto the prom was unreal to watch.

So a very low mileage week for me but think the body and mind needed it.... Back into it next week.

Kudos for getting out on your weekend away!! We all need a break every now & then - it's how to overcome the guilt that's the hard part :D

• Advertisement

Oh GUILT - the curse of the Irish :( . Challenge it A. We run because its a positive experience :D. There are plenty of other crosses in life :eek:.

denis b wrote: »
    Oh GUILT - the curse of the Irish :( . Challenge it A. We run because its a positive experience :D. There are plenty of other crosses in life :eek:.

True Denis this week is a new week :)

So this week was to be a new week after my low mileage (rest week) last week. Still looking for my mojo if anyone has come across it send it back to me here, finding it hardest to get out the door but once I am out I am fine. Anyway graduates plan was back in action this week.

Monday 14th March Pilates really good class and felt the effect of this class work Tuesday and Wednesday.

Tuesday 15th March rest (I know I had a week rest last week but I've other stuff on a Tuesday night (not running related!!) that doesn't allow me time to run)

Wednesday 16th March life got in the way - and this was supposed to be "getting back into it week" but unfortunately Mam's taxi was booked as soon as I got in the door from work by Mc Jnr and as M had already gone running I was on duty. Night out with the hubby was also planned later, so no running done so it would mean running Thursday through to Sunday to get my planned 4 days running this week - all was not yet lost !

Thursday 17th March
    5 miles easy avg pace 10.30 fabulous morning for a run and a good to be alive type of run along the Clontarf coast - the Aware harbour to harbour walk was on so was glad I had decided to change the interval sessions to Friday as there was a lot of pedestrians about today. Spent the rest of the afternoon watching Cheltenham having put a few bets on after reading Yaboya's log the the previous day, was 20 euro up by the end of the day ..... guess Ill have to buy him a pint in Boston :).

Friday 18th March Graduates plan had 1 mile w/u, 5 mins @ 10km pace with 3 mins recovery and 1 mile cooldown. I don't know why I struggle to get out the door to do these runs, as I feel great after them particularly if I manage to stay on pace. My PB for 10km is 56.51, Mc Millan had set my 10km target at 53.35 which is a pace of 8.37 but M reviewed this and reset it to 54.59 which has a pace of 8.52 and a bit more manageable for me I thought. So off I set for Clontarf Road which is a great spot for doing these intervals. Was happy enough with the pace for each interval, was tough work but felt great after it. Pace below :

Interval 1 : pace 8.57
    Interval 2 : pace 8.53
    Interval 3 : pace 8.58
    Interval 4 : pace 8.58
    Interval 5 : pace 8.56

Total miles 6 avg pace 10.02.

Saturday 19th March haven't been at Park Run in about a month so was suffering withdrawal symptoms so decided to head up to this today. One of the girls from park run was struggling to get near her pb for a number of months so while walking to the start line I asked her did she want to go for a PB today and that I was happy to run with her. She would have done a lot of the long runs with me during DCM training so time to pay back for all her support. Her pb is 28.12 and I knew she had a sub 28 in her. PJD was out for a leisurely run today as well so not one to shy away from supporting someone get a PB he also joined us. Really enjoyed this run and it was great to encourage someone around the course, even found myself becoming Dubgal for a while telling her to breath and keep up tall. Lots of words of encouragement from myself and PJD around the course keeping her on pace for km 1 and 2, we lost a bit of pace on km 3 and 4, which we would have to gain back on the last km, so as we hit the avenue we started pointing out benches to her where we wanted her to up her pace to the finish. I shouted at her she had a sub 28 in her if she wanted it and told her to try and stay with PJD who was a bit in front of us, out of no where she sprinted to the finish with lots of shouts of supports from the volunteers to bag herself a pb of 27.54. I was so chuffed for her and was delighted to be able to help her get it. Today was a good day :) Post run coffees with the park run crew and delighted to hear of Murphs brilliant PB good to see KennyG and FerrisB looking strong for their up and coming Cork marathon. Thanks for the shout out LauraAC on volunteer duty today.

Sunday 20th March Graduates plan had 2 hours easy today. This would be about 11 miles for me. This would be the longest distance I have done since DCM back in October. Didn't know how this would go as I am trying to fight a sore throath the last few days and am dosed up on cough bottle, throath spray and strepsils (M is living in a bubble in the garden at the moment to avoid getting sick before Boston !) So decided I would just go out and see how it goes, listen to the body and if I felt it wasn't working I would just turn home. Turned out that I really enjoyed the run, I kept the pace easy, it was a fantastic morning and loads of people out cycling and running. Headed for Sutton along the coast and back, Felt the legs get tired in the last few miles and I started dreaming of chocolate milk and scrambled eggs. Then realised there was none at home so finished my run at the shops where I bought a chocolate milk and eggs out of my emergency money..... well it was an emergency. Pace for the 11 miles 10.59,10.42, 10.44, 10.37, 10.42,11.04,10.42.10.45,10.56.10.59, 11.11 - a bit slower than I would have liked but got the 11 miles done so happy enough. 20 mins stretching when I got home and enjoyed my toast and scrambled eggs.

Weekly mileage looks a hell of a lot better this week with 25.3 miles completed.

Nothing to report this week sick with throath bad cough and general aches n pains means no running for me. It's such a gorgeous day today perfect day for a run. But unfortunately in the pjs on the couch feeling sorry for myself :( just hoping M manages not to catch it before Boston as its gone through the rest of the household.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Seems to be theme this week, lots going around, hope your feeling better soon,
    But you know it was inconsiderate you bringing sicknees into the house at such
    A crucial time :D

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Seems to be theme this week, lots going around, hope your feeling better soon,
    But you know it was inconsiderate you bringing sicknees into the house at such
    A crucial time :D

I know G will have to move him to the shed !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Mrs Mc wrote:

Always good to have a plan. Trust in the plan.

aquinn wrote: »
    Always good to have a plan. Trust in the plan.

That's it A :)

Aw no A, hope you're feeling better soon! The shed is a super idea :p:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Mrs Mc wrote: »

FYP :p

Advertisement