Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newcastle West

Options
  • 16-01-2016 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hi all,

I just moved to Newcastle West as my girlfriend accepted a job in Limerick.
    I am familiar with a few things in Newcastle West, but mostly new to the town.
    So here it goes with a few questions:

- Are there any good takeaways I should be aware of? Any that deliver?
    - Any good coffeeshops, restaurants, etc.? Any place I could go to with the girlfriend on a Sunday morning for breakfast for example or take her on a Saturday night for a nice dinner? Plenty of places like that in Adare, but that means one of us can't drink.
    - Any local taxi companies? Especially once that would use a flat rate?
    - Any good music venues, pubs, bars? Where is good for watching the GAA or rugby and where is good for a bit of live music?
    - I'm too old by now to play football, but would it be an idea to join Newcastle West GAA just as a member? Any good games for example or local rivalries?

Lots of questions, I admit, but hopefully some locals are willing to share their knowledge with me.

Comments

- Are there any good takeaways I should be aware of? Any that deliver?

You're not exactly spoiled for choice but The River Chinese is lovely both sit in and take away and they deliver. Perozzis chipper is nice too but deliver when they feel like. One or two other take aways in the town that you will be familiar with soon.

- Any good coffeeshops, restaurants, etc.? Any place I could go to with the girlfriend on a Sunday morning for breakfast for example or take her on a Saturday night for a nice dinner? Plenty of places like that in Adare, but that means one of us can't drink.

Loads. Marguerites, Sultana, Cronins to name a few. There is a new place on the corner of Bridge street and Maiden Street thats getting great reviews. Can't think of the name just now but you'll find it.

- Any local taxi companies? Especially once that would use a flat rate?

Coach house. Can't post numbers here unfortunately but Mr Google will point you in the right direction.

- Any good music venues, pubs, bars? Where is good for watching the GAA or rugby and where is good for a bit of live music?

Loads. I'd recommend The Shamrock for any sports (rugby man here) but after a few weeks/months of pub crawling you'll find a spot or two that you'll constantly go back to. All close to each other too.

- I'm too old by now to play football, but would it be an idea to join Newcastle West GAA just as a member? Any good games for example or local rivalries?

Not a GAA man myself (more of a bandwagoner :P) but you will be well looked after with any club you join. You won't be too old in their eyes to tog out on a Saturday or Sunday morning either :pac:

Lots of questions, I admit, but hopefully some locals are willing to share their knowledge with me.

I'm not from NCW originally but my family live there now and I've lived there on and off over the last 9 years. My sister is a regular poster here and settled in NCW. She'll probably see this thread and have way more info for you. The town is fairly small. You'll have all your own questions answered in a months time.
    Best of luck to you and your other half in NCW! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Munstermad

Hey Flemishgael yes as my brother has mentioned I am living in NCW since 2008.

Welcome..

It's a lovely town, I'd concur with most of what baby bro has said with a few more suggestions...

Rest. and takeaway.
    Pizzapont on maiden St deliver as far as I know, so does the Indian on the Quay (sorry name escapes me) River is definitely the best Chinese.. I've a few I'd avoid but I won't name them here. Superbites isn't bad. Perrozis and Mama mias are traditional fish and chip shops... they are both good.

The Brown Morel on the square is a lovely little eatery, and you can BYOB of wine, they will "get you" a beer or spirit from the pub next door if you fancy that... They do breakfast but I'm not sure about Sundays.... The Arra café opposite Adrenalin do a Sunday breakfast, as do both petrol stations (if you are stuck). Cronins do pub grub, the Mallard I haven't been to.

Pubs
    The Shamrock, Clearys, Small Pat Whelans. (all nice pubs) do live music.
    Also Cronins, the Bridge bar and the Central are busy spots...

The GAA, local soccer clubs and rugby club are all very decent.. always looking for membership...

It would be worth taking a stroll up in and around the Demense (past Aldi) the GAA and Soccer Clubs and athletics club have pitches/grounds up there. The athletics club meets there, the local GYM Killeline will have info on that.

If you want a bit more info on clubs and activities, West limerick Resources, The Desmond Complex and Newcastle West Community Centre are good sources for local clubs and events.. The Observer paper too. There's a car boot sale in the community centre once a month.

Oh and last but not least... West Fest is a fantastic music festival held every September... It's world class and a real mish mash of artists perform.. Walking on cars, Hudson Taylor, the Coronas, The Saw Doctors, the High Kings, Example, Ryan Sheridan etc etc. It's really great :-) you will find info on it on FB

Best of luck to ye both, any more questions just ask.
    MM

Advertisement