Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

minimum stem size for Wood-Miser

Options
  • 16-01-2016 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

I've been setting aside larger stems (sitka spruce) from our wind throw clean-up with the intention of planking it out on a local bandsaw mill. I'm wondering what is the smallest practical size to bother with. So far I have bolls with DBHs of up to 20 to 24 cm. What I'm hoping to end up with is 1" planks that can be of random widths, ultimately for use as rough flooring.

This is a bit of a test. I'm prepared to discover that after the hauling, milling, hauling again, stacking and drying it will have been an expense exercise. The alternative is that larger stems join the rest and become firewood.

Any info on other's experiences would be appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Haven't done it with pine, but I have with larch. I reckon anything below 30cm is too small, but that's just me. If you cut it through and through, the top and bottom board won't be much good, so at 30cm you are down to at best 10 planks, you still have to convert it.

What is the floor for?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭accidental forester

Thanks Blue,

30 cm is a logical minimum size. I did up a quick CAD drawing of the logs (8') and see that the 30cm could produce about 66 board feet and the 25cm only about 44 bf. Unfortunately, more of our material is in the 25cm range. I think I'll go ahead and run a load of the bigger logs and see how it pans out. The end use for the timber is to floor and partially panel a small shed for the forestry.

Larch is lovely stuff. I envy you if you've got a lot of it.

Advertisement