Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bringing your dogs to other peoples homes

• 16-01-2016 9:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering what people's feelings are on bringing their dogs with them when going to other peoples homes.

Do you leave them at home?

Do you ask first, then if acceptable bring them?

Do you bring them without asking regardless of how it affects the home you are visiting?

We have a cat, due to work commitments so not really much of an issue for us but just interested in other peoples views on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

I would always ask, even though Bob has more manners than your average dog not everyone loves them. Lots of people have a genuine fear of dogs, people have allergies, people just don't like the idea of animals in houses. There's too many variables not to ask every time.

Also you never know someone's circumstances even if they usually welcome the dog with open arms. My parents recently had to ask a family member not to bring their two for the Christmas visit as they were also bringing a brand new baby, Bob is 13 and getting grumpy and I was on crutches due to a recently screwed back together pelvis. It was just going to be too much chaos adding their two to the mix, despite the fact that they are usually welcomed with open arms!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Lots of factors would make me want to bring them or not bring them, not really a one rule for all except for asking them first if I did want to bring any them.

I'd only want to bring them if they had a dog that mine liked or that they themselves liked my boys. I wouldn't want bring them just for the hell of it though, I would only bring them if I felt it benefited my dogs in some way.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭awanderer

I would never bring my dog without asking first and would only condider asking people I already know love dogs/my dog.

In general when visiting people who are not my 2 closest friends, I don't ever consider bringing my dog. If I only visit someone for a few minutes, I leave the dog in the car (I live in the countryside so the dog is safe in the car in anyone's driveway). If people ask me to stay longer than a few minutes, I say that I can't as the dog is in the car. People have then the choice to say "Ok maybe another time then" or "bring the dog in" in they chose the second option, I explain that I prefer not as my dog is a master shedder and would add a new carpet to their house. If the people insist that I bring him in, I do and consider adding the people to my list of friends :D .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

I bring my cocker every week down to my sisters house... Have done for 10 years now.. She has kids (they adore him) she also have a 2 year old cocker..

Anyone else answer is no.

For a few reasons ...

Lots of people feel dogs belong outside, they're not part of the family etc .. Or they have kids who are too rough ... Or they just don't like dogs.

I'm not doing it for them im doing it for my dog - don't want him in a situation he doesn't deserve to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,939 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

lassykk wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

I think it would take a staggeringly rude person to do this and thankfully I don't know anyone who'd even consider it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭VickieVexed1

I would never bring our fur puppy (almost five :D) to another house, but for his sake, not theirs. Here, he has the run of the house and garden. He's allowed on the furniture, on the beds, wherever he wishes to sleep.
    I respect that not all people consider that okay, as long as they respect our views.

My friends also know, when they visit here. It's his house, not yours. If you don't like doggy licks and hairs, you can have a cuppa' and custard cream in our garden, you ain't welcome in the house.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

I find it very rude if guests turn up with their animals unannounced. If they at least give notice I can make a temporary pin in the garage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

I don't mind if someone wants to bring their dog to my house, but I would like them to say it beforehand, but it stays in the garden, not allowed in house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

Bringing a dog to someone's home is a little bit like asking for a loan / credit.....a refusal will certainly always offend....also it could be considered a major imposition to actually ask....those who want dogs should realise the drawbacks associated with ownership in the first place. Sorry but that is reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

I wouldn't bring my dogs to someone's house unless they had specifically said they wanted to meet them or if the other person had dogs themselves. And obviously I would ask first. Are there actually people out there who just turn up with their dogs without mentioning it first?

The only exception to this is sometimes I would be away at a training camp or show or something along those lines and I want to meet up with someone in the area. And if they don't want the dogs in the house I would just leave them in the car and not stay for long. But in that situation the person normally knows that I'm in the area because of the dogs with no where else to leave them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭twignme

I would rather have people bring their dog to my house and not their children in many cases:D

I always say yes if someone asks me if they can bring their dog with them but I ask them to conform to my 'doggie house rules' which are exactly the same for my own two here. No dogs up on the furniture even if they are allowed to do that at home. I also appreciate it if the visitor picks up their dog's mess after them in the garden. If mine start getting a bit boisterous when I am in someone else's home I give them a 'time out' in the car to calm them down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

Thank you all for your replies and confirming what I considered was my own reasonable opinion.

There has been a long history of two people coming to our house and bringing the dogs with them. There was a period of time where they lived with us as they were moving house which I would consider one of the worst periods of my life due to their dogs (well not the dogs themselves but the way the owners treat them in my home).

I had one request when they came to visit and when they stayed with us. No dogs ever in the sitting room (whether I'm there or not) as it is where I want to relax and the thoughts of sitting on a couch where a dog was sitting turns my stomach (they shed a lot!). This was a compromise on my behalf as I believe dogs should live outside. This is something I only consider for my house and have no problem what anyone else does in their own home.

This request caused a huge amount of problems and a lot of time they just ignored my request as I came home at unplanned times a couple of times to find the dogs up on the couch.

Since they moved out it's been better as we visit more them more than the other way around now but yesterday they were coming to visit and I said that the dogs would have to remain outside the sitting room and all hell broke loose. Strops were thrown, people wouldn't talk to other people and it was generally unpleasant.

I've never experienced anything like it from anyone else in my life and I know a lot of dog lovers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

Wow lassykk, that's pretty disrespectful from your guests tbh. We have a dog and the only house I'd ever bring her to is my parent's house because it's expected of us. I'd never bring her anywhere else, not even to a friend's house. I'm wracking my brain but I genuinely don't think one of my friend's has ever brought their dog into my house or home at the time. If they wanted to I really wouldn't have a problem but they've never asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Wow lassykk, that's pretty disrespectful from your guests tbh. We have a dog and the only house I'd ever bring her to is my parent's house because it's expected of us. I'd never bring her anywhere else, not even to a friend's house. I'm wracking my brain but I genuinely don't think one of my friend's has ever brought their dog into my house or home at the time. If they wanted to I really wouldn't have a problem but they've never asked.

Same here. Our two have the run of our folks' houses. But that's about IT for visiting.

All the people who say they don't bring their dogs visiting, for their dogs' sake, not their friends', why do you think so little of your friends wishes/opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

I would definitely ask but I usually wouldn't bring her. I tend not to go to friends homes though so it isn't usually an issue. I live in dublin and don't drive so getting to some peoples home can be a trek instead of meeting somewhere else.

I have a few friends who love her and I'll ask if they want me to bring her but other then that I wouldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

i'd have no problem with anyone bringing their dog/s into our home. we're animal mad:)
    our own little one, a westie, is brilliant. but tbh the only time she's ever been brought into someone else's house was my brothers. we were passing one day and he said to come on in. the opportunity doesn't arise too often due to work etc.
    she's brilliant anywhere (you can tell she means the world to us!).

the problem with some dog owners is like the problem with some parents. they don't teach theirs to respect other peoples homes. so their dog is allowed run wild around the house. their kid is allowed run wild around the house.

not the dog/kid's fault. responsibility lies with owners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

All the people who say they don't bring their dogs visiting, for their dogs' sake, not their friends', why do you think so little of your friends wishes/opinions?

I did wonder about this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

lassykk wrote: »

This request caused a huge amount of problems and a lot of time they just ignored my request as I came home at unplanned times a couple of times to find the dogs up on the couch.

I've come across a similar situation, where a friend used to bring her dog over to my house. We would often bring the two dogs for a walk and call in to my house for a cup of tea afterwards. My own dog is not allowed on the couches but she would scoop her little dog up after being outside walking in the mucky park and plonk her on the couch. My own dog would then get agitated over her being on the couch and start putting his front paws up on it.

I said it to her that we don't let dogs on the good couches and she got totally offended, saying how dare I imply her dog was dirty... Eh, we've just been to the park, they were chasing each other through mud puddles... That caused a huge argument that her mother actually got involved in, and ended with our dog walks stopping.

I don't think the majority of dog owners are like this though, most of us are reasonable and recognise that not everyone loves our doggies the way we do!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭twomonkeys

Same here. Our two have the run of our folks' houses. But that's about IT for visiting.

Totally agree. I only ever bring my dog to my parents house as they have dogs themselves and would expect to see our dog in tow with us. I would never ever even THINK about bringing my dog to visit friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭VickieVexed1

I was simply answering the OP's question. Our little guy is our baby, just like all our previous fur kids have been. We're not going to take him on visits where he is not welcome, creating an uncomfortable environment for all involved.

I don't see why not taking your dog to friends' houses is disrespecting their wishes/opinion. Surely it's just the opposite. :confused:

Perhaps I misunderstood your question. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Our guy visiting a few houses - but all family. Over the Christmas stayed over at my sisters house - but I asked if the dog come too before accepting the invitation. Again it's family and they are very capable of saying no. In our house we frequently have friends/family visit and stay over with their dogs.
    The reality is that you know who are "dog friendly" friends/family and you know who aren't and I wouldn't even ask in the cases of friends or family that don't like dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

I've brought my dogs visiting people's houses before. It would usually be that I'd be out doing errands with the dog (you know, get the shopping done and the walk in and whatnot), and someone would invite me over, so I'd just go in myself and keep the dog in the car unless requested. I'm not saying my dog's never been a nuisance at someone else's house, but I apologise and remove her if she is.

She's a small lapdog, and sits in my lap on the couch at home as her rightful position, but I don't generally let her on other people's furniture unless specifically invited. As someone with a spoiled lapdog, Lassykk, I would have been hugely annoyed at your friends. That's just not on.

Now to defend the 'bringing her to people's houses' thing: I like bringing her out and about because she has arthritis and can no longer manage a huge walk. Seeing somewhere new, and all the new smells, is enough to keep her happy, so I try to find different places for her. But it's on-lead or in a fenced area while she's listening to me. If she blows off a command she goes back into the car. It's a good way to practice generalizing commands etc. And obviously it's only with the permission of the person, usually they will specifically say if I can bring her in.

I have a very good, non-dog friend who actually requested my big (hairy, slobbery, enthusiastic) lab to come over when she was feeling upset so the dog could cheer her up. Now there's a friend who is sure of a Christmas card for life! I've also had a friend invite both me and the dog for lunch. This may be a reflection of how good my friends are rather than necessarily how good the dog is, but I still really appreciate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Last year we went to my wife's grandad's 80th, he was having it in his house, only close family, maybe 25 going, as we'd be out of the house for around 6hrs (with travellling) we asked if we could bring Brodi, our boxer, both he and us knew how well behaved she was.

She was great, a few of the kids were scared of her at first, i think it was partly to do with their ma thinking she looked viscious, by the end of the night the kids were rolling round on the floor with her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Absolutely ask.
    We never brought ours anywhere, just made sure he had plenty of food & water, if we were going to be gone for too long we would ask a neighbour to check on him and top up his water if needed.
    As he got older it got to a point that the time we could leave him alone wasn't worth us going anywhere, if we did we never enjoyed it because we were worried about him. So Christmas 2014 we decided to take him to a relatives house, they were uneasy at first but knew he was 15 years old and no trouble hardly at all. That day went great and we saw it as a new freedom for us only to lose him 2 weeks later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

yip i think very little of my friends opinion whos opinion regarding all dogs must stay outside... dogs are just animals... and dont belong part of the family... hence the reason i wouldn't bring him over for his sake.. dogs can sense this. i will respect their house rules but not their opinion - there's a big difference.

Same applies when people come to my house - the house is my dogs house too... yes he sits up in the couch (wow shock horror), yes he has the freedom to come and go around the house.... and if you dont like my house rules then dont come over :D

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭forgodssake

Would definitely ask first . Love my pets but understand not everyone does!!

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

I don't have a dog and for historical reasons am afraid of them. My new house is on a popular walking route and a few times people have called to the door impromptu when out walking with their dogs. Although I loved to have callers it was awkward about the dog. I didn't feel comfortable saying "you can't come in because of the dog" and so the dogs came in but I was very nervous the whole time.

One case was in summer and so the dog ran outside in the garden which was better but we still spent most of the visit watching him to see he didn't get into trouble.

Advertisement