Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to wean 15wk old off soother

Options
  • 16-01-2016 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi all, our little boy uses a soother a bit during the day but won't go to bed without it at night. He'll easily sleep with it by day and if it falls out there's no issue but if it falls out by night he cries till its put back. He's now sleeping almost 8/9 hours at night but it's just broken constantly by this soother issue. We know he'll start to be able to put it back in himself but that's still a bit away and lack of sleep is causing slight desperation. Thanks for any help and advice Niall

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

What we ended up doing was just going cold turkey with no soothers. It was rough for a couple of nights but we were surprised how quickly he forgot about them, and returned to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

:-) You're bringing back memories.15 weeks coincided with the four month sleep regression here.Ours slept but used to wake every time soother fell out.I wanted to chuck the fecking thing out the window at one point.But....I persevered and after a couple of weeks of utter sleep deprivation, we cracked it.I can safely say, at 18 months, that soother is a godsend.She's not stuck to it, but likes it in her hand at bedtime....but when she wakes at night the odd time, it is fantastic to be able to stick it back in, and she drops off again.

It may be that your little guy is also going through a sleep regression phase (google it).just consistently respond to tell him it's sleep time.If you do decide to get rid of the soother, replace it with a teddy or blanket that you give to him everytime he wakes.But be aware that taking the soother away will probably do nothing, he may just be going through a phase.It will improve but be consistent in your response.And try to avoid bottles or feeds as an alternative

• Registered Users Posts: 10 wilecoyote

Toots wrote: »
    What we ended up doing was just going cold turkey with no soothers. It was rough for a couple of nights but we were surprised how quickly he forgot about them, and returned to normal.

Thanks Toots, we'll try it tonight and let the hell ensue lol

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

wilecoyote wrote: »
    Thanks Toots, we'll try it tonight and let the hell ensue lol

Good luck! TBH he didn't actually go mental, it just took AGES to get him to sleep. Once he'd actually gone over to sleep he was grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Cold turkey for us....sleep patterns are properly formed at 16 weeks (so the sleep consultant told me) so took it out then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

Google Pantley pull off method

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'd agree with you on the sleep patterns at 16 weeks bp, it was certainly the key point for our little one too int terms of settling into a good night sleep.She had always been pretty ok, but became atrociojs for a coupple of weeks then started sleeping up to to 10 hours after that.
    I'd agree with cold turkey if you chose to get rid of it.He's still so small it's the best time to do it,but do replace with a teddy or something because they do need a bit of comfort from something.

Advertisement