Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SwimRun

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cart man

mad m wrote: »
    You in dublin?

Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

cart man wrote: »
    Yep

I might know a bloke. I'll ask him first and get back to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

Question about swimrun- why the allowed swim toys? Surely it would be more natural to run in runners (and ok swim in wetsuit), and cut the rest of the crap?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

A team could be a strong swimmer, weak runner paired with a weak swimmer and strong runner. Pull buoys, paddles etc allow for an levelling effect.

The weight of wet footwear is also offset by the extra lift of the thicker swim/run wetsuit legs and pullbuoy.

Cheers. It's always about equalising swim ability, nobody seems to give a damn about slow runners :)

Is your event still going ahead in October?

• Advertisement

So far so good. Been a bit of delay getting registration open on it. Part of the perils of joining up organisational forces I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    Cheers. It's always about equalising swim ability, nobody seems to give a damn about slow runners :)

Is your event still going ahead in October?

Yep let's bring in motors on bikes to balance poor cyclists on a triathlon :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cart man

sconhome wrote: »
    So far so good. Been a bit of delay getting registration open on it. Part of the perils of joining up organisational forces I suppose.
    Any idea on distances, a gross amount of run, swim and total legs would be great. Thanks

I see Breca Donegal now has a sprint distance also. 12km of running and 3.6km of swim

I see Breca Donegal now has a sprint distance also. 12km of running and 3.6km of swim

The whole Irish Breca swimrun has been cancelled- owing to a lack of boats for safety cover. Very hard on those who had been training, and had purchased new gear etc., at least they are refunding entrants.

It was always a risk planning an event in NW Donegal seas. The likelihood of swim cancellation/curtailment is huge for any open event that relies on self-regulation for swim competency.

• Advertisement

The whole Irish Breca swimrun has been cancelled- owing to a lack of boats for safety cover. Very hard on those who had been training, and had purchased new gear etc., at least they are refunding entrants.

It was always a risk planning an event in NW Donegal seas. The likelihood of swim cancellation/curtailment is huge for any open event that relies on self-regulation for swim competency.

Sad to hear this. I was in no way ready for this even this year but would like to do it in the future when I improve my running abilities. Hope there is a chance of its return in the future,

Sean, any update on the Oct Galway event?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I was wondering the same when I saw all the updates on ST.

Ironically one of the reasons that we haven't opened the race is delays getting permission for land access. I didn't want to be taking registrations until the T's were crossed.

A lot closer but not there yet. Still provisional for October as planned.

sconhome wrote: »
    Ironically one of the reasons that we haven't opened the race is delays getting permission for land access.

Sounds like the run should be cancelled/curtailed ;)

Early October I hope. i don't like the cold :D

pgibbo wrote: »
    Early October I hope. i don't like the cold :D

8th Oct according to FB. The tropical side of the month ;)

I think having this event in October will appeal to all the triathletes who have finished their TI season. Looking forward to it- we could try and get a good few from here and make it a social event too?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

are you still looking at the same distances sean? 8k/40k?

mossym wrote: »
    are you still looking at the same distances sean? 8k/40k?

8k swim & 40k run. That'll take a bit of training :D

should have known he'd go full hog..:)

• Advertisement

mossym wrote: »
    should have known he'd go full hog..:)

There was I thinking it would be a bit of messing like his AR craic :pac:

aye, might do DCM instead, take it handy for october.

pgibbo wrote: »
    There was I thinking it would be a bit of messing like his AR craic :pac:

Down with that sort of talk!! :)

https://www.sientries.co.uk/event.php?event_id=2894

Entries are open for SwimRun Ireland - Galway and SwimRun Mallorca this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ricepudding

I may have missed it on the event website; but is there a cancellation policy regarding refund for adverse weather? If there's a storm and swim portions are cancelled does it just become a run? Eur300 odd is expensive for a run?

I may have missed it on the event website; but is there a cancellation policy regarding refund for adverse weather? If there's a storm and swim portions are cancelled does it just become a run? Eur300 odd is expensive for a run?

Entries for the full event are €275 until tomorrow.

Can't see how refunds could be paid in the event of swim cancellation- the organisers will have had to have safety kayaks booked who will need paying in any case. Very hard to put on an event like this in unpredictable Irish seas (and I applaud your initiative sconhome) but its too pricey for me to enter when there is no mandatory swim ability for contestants. I've been to too many wetsuit events where back-of-pack ability determines if the swim goes ahead or not.

*Edit- unfair of me to suggest this is going to be the case for this event. I'll wait till closer the race before deciding on entering or not.

Advertisement