Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licensee wants to extend notice to leave period

Options
  • 16-01-2016 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭

Hi I have a licencee in my house I have given her notice to leave after a argument we have had. She wanted to extend the notice period to 10 weeks. I had given her 4 weeks notice. Just wondering if anyone Here has any experience with this type off issue.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

JillyQ wrote: »
    Hi I have a licencee in my house I have given her notice to leave after a argument we have had. She wanted to extend the notice period to 10 weeks. I had given her 4 weeks notice. Just wondering if anyone Here has any experience with this type off issue.

It's your house I assume?

If it's your house, she isn't entitled to anything more than reasonable notice, which most people define at being the pay period (ie one week or one month), though you can evict with 24 hours notice if required.

Tell her it's four weeks. If she doesn't leave after 4 weeks, change the locks when she's out and have her stuff packed up for her to collect (document this with photos with a newspaper with the day's date in the pic, so she can't claim theft or damage).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note

Thread title edited. OP as per the forum charter please use meaningful thread titles, it helps attract more helpful replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

athtrasna wrote: »
    Mod note

Thread title edited. OP as per the forum charter please use meaningful thread titles, it helps attract more helpful replies.

Thank you for that.

If it's your house, she isn't entitled to anything more than reasonable notice, which most people define at being the pay period (ie one week or one month), though you can evict with 24 hours notice if required.

Tell her it's four weeks. If she doesn't leave after 4 weeks, change the locks when she's out and have her stuff packed up for her to collect (document this with photos with a newspaper with the day's date in the pic, so she can't claim theft or damage).

Yes it is my house. Good idea about the news papers. If I were to do this should I get it witnessed

My licencee has appeared back into the house. Have a feeling I have a fight on my hands. Looked up the prtb but they don't seem to able to do anything. Anyone know how long the legal route would take?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Anyone know how long the legal route would take?
    Legal route? They're a licensee, not a tenant. 72 hours notice (or 24 hours, whatever you want), and change the locks (don't mention that you're planning on doing this). Licensees don't have any rights unless you gave them rights.

the_syco wrote: »
    Legal route? They're a licensee, not a tenant. 72 hours notice (or 24 hours, whatever you want), and change the locks (don't mention that you're planning on doing this). Licensees don't have any rights unless you gave them rights.

I didn't give her any just don't feel safe with her here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Either they accept the 4 weeks, which Im not sure why you've given them that much if there was an argument (Im assuming they are the cause of it based on some dissagreement or dispute related to their stay?). If they are in dispute with you, why would they want more time and why should you accept that?
    What was the argument over?

If they are threatening or hostile, call the Gardai and get them out on the spot, if its a serious rule breach or some specific thing you feel is too far gone and its been a repeat, then give them 24 hours notice and tell them to fook right off, nothing to do with the PRTB.
    The notice is what you decided, if you feel genuinely threatened its enough time to pack their stuff and get out while the gardai turn up, they have no rights.

tbh, I think even if the OP was a tenant themselves (not the case here but) and the other person was subletting, I think they could get rid of them with 24 hours notice too as they might still be a licensee then also, as this isnt the case, its not an issue, but Im wondering what the situation would be.
    My licencee has appeared back into the house. Have a feeling I have a fight on my hands. Looked up the prtb but they don't seem to able to do anything. Anyone know how long the legal route would take?

Where you not expecting them? you gave them 4 weeks? no? if you gave them less notice, you should have changed the locks, regradless they shouldnt be entering if you have barred right of entry,
    have they paid? do you owe them anything? if so give them their balance, get the keys and change the locks anyway.
    Maybe they see it all differently and just as a difference of opinion, was there shouting? hostility? some people see the need to push each scenario to the limit or squeeze every last drop and will argue over every last penny all the time and think nothing of it other than being necessary, Im frugal myself, to a point, but I wont renege on an agreement after its been accepted, if I dissagree or consider something not what I expected or unfair, I may try renegotiate, but not to the point of being difficult.
    Have you changed the terms of the agreement? (within your rights, whether its is/isn't fair or regardless if they view it as fair or not)
    If its something they dont like, its tough though, as its your house and your rules.

cerastes wrote: »
    Either they accept the 4 weeks, which Im not sure why you've given them that much if there was an argument (Im assuming they are the cause of it based on some dissagreement or dispute related to their stay?). If they are in dispute with you, why would they want more time and why should you accept that?
    What was the argument over?

If they are threatening or hostile, call the Gardai and get them out on the spot, if its a serious rule breach or some specific thing you feel is too far gone and its been a repeat, then give them 24 hours notice and tell them to fook right off, nothing to do with the PRTB.
    The notice is what you decided, if you feel genuinely threatened its enough time to pack their stuff and get out while the gardai turn up, they have no rights.

She barged into my room one morning last week about my alarm clock going off at what I consider a normal time 7.30. She frightened the living day lights out of my. She accepted the notice first of all then wanted to change it. I said know she lost it again. Told me she was leaving there and then & would be back for her things at weekend which I agreed to. Now seems to have moved back in

• Advertisement

She barged into my room one morning last week about my alarm clock going off at what I consider a normal time 7.30. She frightened the living day lights out of my. She accepted the notice first of all then wanted to change it. I said know she lost it again. Told me she was leaving there and then & would be back for her things at weekend which I agreed to. Now seems to have moved back in

Bollrocks to that, Ive let rooms, anyone barged into my room, Id tell them to cop on, Id probably do a warning first and any second issue of any kind tell them to clear off, but really that is up to you.
    I wouldnt go into rooms Id let, except a few occasions, if someone wasnt in and they left a window open, Id go in to close it (concern over burglary, especially window over extension), probably had to do that once or twice, but I wouldnt barge in ever, Id knock to see if they were there, usually Id know due to a persons car not being present.
    Id still consider it reasonable to not let alarms go off and not make noise I wouldnt want to hear myself, but they have no right to tell you what to do, maybe they had a ****yy day?

not sure of the sequence,
    They barge in and give out,
    You get a fright and give them notice
    They lost it and accepted notice
    now the person is back,

The person was wrong, maybe it can be resolved, ask them what they are doing in the house, as you gave them notice and they even accepted it, doesnt matter if they agree with it or not, they may even mistakenly think they have rights, either stamp your authority now and tell them to never enter your room or any they have no business in and never give you an order in the house.
    or get rid of them if they arent apologetic/come up with a reasonable explanation.
    maybe they had a hot headed moment if your alarm was going off for ages, if it was a one off hot headed moment, I might let it go, but it would be conditional to it being out of character and not as an increased sign of hostility or disregard to other rule breaches already or in the future.

how long have they lived with you? how well do yo know them?

cerastes wrote: »
    Bollrocks to that, Ive let rooms, anyone barged into my room, Id tell them to cop on, Id probably do a warning first and any second issue of any kind tell them to clear off, but really that is up to you.
    I wouldnt go into rooms Id let, except a few occasions, if someone wasnt in and they left a window open, Id go in to close it (concern over burglary, especially window over extension), probably had to do that once or twice, but I wouldnt barge in ever, Id knock to see if they were there, usually Id know due to a persons car not being present.
    Id still consider it reasonable to not let alarms go off and not make noise I wouldnt want to hear myself, but they have no right to tell you what to do, maybe they had a ****yy day?

not sure of the sequence,
    They barge in and give out,
    You get a fright and give them notice
    They lost it and accepted notice
    now the person is back,

The person was wrong, maybe it can be resolved, ask them what they are doing in the house, as you gave them notice and they even accepted it, doesnt matter if they agree with it or not, they may even mistakenly think they have rights, either stamp your authority now and tell them to never enter your room or any they have no business in and never give you an order in the house.
    or get rid of them if they arent apologetic/come up with a reasonable explanation.
    maybe they had a hot headed moment if your alarm was going off for ages, if it was a one off hot headed moment, I might let it go, but it would be conditional to it being out of character and not as an increased sign of hostility or disregard to other rule breaches already or in the future.

how long have they lived with you? how well do yo know them?

About 6 months this was the second time I've seen that temper. The first was when she lost it with my neighbour over a radio being on two rooms are adjacent (semi detached houses) I told her I didn't want to see her temper again. I warned she was gone if it happened again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

If you don't feel safe call the Gardai and they will tell her to go.

Advertisement