Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Really dry skin under beard (Men's grooming)

Options
  • 17-01-2016 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭

My boyfriend has a beard for the last few months as he's away working somewhere really cold! Everyone hates it but I really love it and want him to keep it!

Anyway back to my question! He says that his skin is so itchy and dry underneath his beard. In the last few days he had been complaining that it's actually sore. I've suggested shaving it off however he doesn't want to be cold so that's not an option! He uses a Nivea men's moisturiser everyday but says it's not making any difference. I've used coconut oil on my legs to moisturise them when they were very dry so I thought maybe this would work for him but he says coconut oil is for cooking with! So if anyone could offer any suggestions we'd appreciate it!

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Coconut oil isn't just for cooking with - it's fab for all sorts of skin ailments including dry skin under beards. I know a good few lads that find it great for dry skin under their beards and keeping the beard itself conditioned too. Another tip is to ensure he keeps his beard is fully dried as this can increase dry skin too.

Have a look at the Facial Hair forum too - ye might get some advice there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

I am a seasoned beard master lol

I can tell you from experience that this is hard to shift. It usually is caused by yeast .

Without getting into too much detail there are a few steps I often followed to get rid of the sore itch and flakes that followed .
    Get some nizoral 2% shampoo. Dampen the beard and massage the niz into it and leave for about 6-7 mins.
    Rinse out and make sure every bit of it gets washed out.
    Use nizoral in the beard twice that week.

After two uses of nizoral you should use T-gel sensitive version 3-4 times per week for first two weeks (twice per week after for maintenance ) on the beard . Same protocol, dampen massage in gel and leave for few mins and rinse.

The reason for not using nizoral is simply because its too strong and will slightly irrirate before doing its good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭LinF

Italodisco's advice makes a whole heap of sense but if that fails I would suggest jojoba oil. Based on my Monsia Skincare which contains jojoba esters I got jojoba oil and he uses it as a moisturizer after shaving each morning. Your BF will need to rub the oil into the skin. It is a 100% natural product I bought it off Naissance/Amazon.co.uk. Read wellnesstoday.com/beauty/15-surprising-beauty-uses-for-jojoba-oil

Damn it mine has returned the last day or two .

This time I'm following the advice of a hair loss forum and using daktarin cream for three days , massaged into the skin underneath and washed out at night / reapplied in the morn . Hopefully that will kill the fungal component of beard rot as I call it .

Damn it mine has returned the last day or two .

This time I'm following the advice of a hair loss forum and using daktarin cream for three days , massaged into the skin underneath and washed out at night / reapplied in the morn . Hopefully that will kill the fungal component of beard rot as I call it .

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 oliviablond

Beard oil is the age old maintenance tool that will keep your face from losing its oils to your beard. mY HUBBY oils his beard every day in the morning after showering. Not only does beard oil soften and tame your beard, it can also deliver essential oils that you may benefit from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Thanks everyone for the very detailed replies! I've sent him on the list and bought the coconut oil and the jojoba oil.

Oliviablond is there a specific brand of beard oil that your hubby uses?

Advertisement