Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get veal in cork city ?.

Options
  • 17-01-2016 1:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭

Hi guys i am wondering where would i be able to pick up veal in cork city ?. As been dying for veal so the past week and i have no idea where to pick up some i don't mind frozen or fresh.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

Try a butcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

O'Mahony's in The English Market usually have rose veal.
    You won't usually get crated veal in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

I don't care where my veal comes from as must of it in Ireland is from Holland and is fantastic as long as i can find some of that i would be a very happy guy.

Its just a very hard meat to get in Ireland. I know all the wholesalers who sell it but what am i going to do with 5KG of veal when i have a very small freezer ? ha ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Not absolutely positive but I think I've seen veal in either Aldi or Lidl, from time to time. Will look out the next time I'm shopping there. My feeling though is that I'd prefer to get it from a butcher. I'd second the English Market in town. There are so many butchers in there, you'd be sure to source it.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Flynn's butchers on Marlboro Street do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

mm tisnt really. You cant get Veal in Lidl at the best of times or Aldi.. Any of the fancier butchers would sell it like the ones mentioned above or maybe try pre-ordering it... The butchers in Tesco Douglas are great

Supermarkets stopped doing Veal a long time ago. Super Quinn when they where around used to be the best place to get it but have not seen it in a shop for years. When i was living in waterford no where had it and i went everywhere to get it.

I would class the meat you get in tesco very low quality was there a few months ago i went into there counter to pick up Fillet as it was 1/2 price per KG and wonted to pick up a full Fillet and it was int at all proper Fillet it was the tops the worst and cheapest cuts and was also very fatty.

I know i can get it from the wholesalers EG Pallas Foods but i dont wont 5KG + of it ha ha.

Going to have a look in the English market later and going to try that butcher on Marlboro Street as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Didn't say get it in Tesco I said the butchers there in Tesco Shopping centre..

And nope again as a few have mentioned Lidl and Aldi do it on deals also,,, Why not just go to the wholesalers then to get it and share out with someone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Milly33 wrote: »
    The butchers in Tesco Douglas are great

I hope to goodness you mean Bresnan's butchers in douglas village shopping center, and not the actual Tesco meat counter.

I don't think they do veal normally btw. Veal are typically male calves from a dairy herd. It is a way to put some value on what are generally seen as useless output from a dairy farm. Bresnan's farm doesn't have a dairy herd, so no 'spare' calves are going, but they might be able to order it from someone else.

Also, it is just coming up to calving season now, so you are just at the end of the rose veal season (8-12 months old) and just before the new veal comes on the market (around 5 months)

Update ended up finding Veal in Flynn's but its frozen and €45 a KG for frozen that is way to costly in my book for Veal i would have paid up to 30 a KG no problem for fresh.

I ended up making a phone call to my old boss and he is cooking me up 1.2KG of it and frezzeing it for me to get the next time that i am. Cost to me 15 euros for 1.2KG of Veal. It was cheap as its 1/2 price from the wholesaler at the moment.

• Advertisement

Update ended up finding Veal in Flynn's but its frozen and €45 a KG for frozen that is way to costly in my book for Veal i would have paid up to 30 a KG no problem for fresh.

I ended up making a phone call to my old boss and he is cooking me up 1.2KG of it and frezzeing it for me to get the next time that i am. Cost to me 15 euros for 1.2KG of Veal. It was cheap as its 1/2 price from the wholesaler at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

O'Sullivan's in the English Market.

To the right of the fountain when entering from Princes Street.

Advertisement