Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chipper wafts

• 17-01-2016 1:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭

Do chippers actually have wafting machines that send that unmistakable smell down the road? I can get the smell at least 200 yards from my local Chipper when I come out of the pub,and even if you are not hungry,it just makes you want Chipper food...batter sausage,curried chips,batter burger.....oh fu*ck this....I,m of to the chipper

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Grab me a taco chip will ya.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

Chipper food is very fattening, no wonder we are a nation of fatties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

The smell is beef-dripping just short of its flashpoint, assuming it's a proper chipper. Jaws of the Tiger, Grasshopper! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Extractor fans.so they don't die from the fumes

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Chijj

I think there's a strong correlation between how drunk you are and the strength of the smell.

• Advertisement

In Greenland, they have fish and seal-blubber. They don't have cholesterol or diabetes. The other thing they don't have is sugar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭droidman123

Apart from the nation of fatties,and we are fat bast*ards comments,seriously,does anyone know if the chippers actually have some kind of system that they actually send that alluring smell down the street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Apart from the nation of fatties,and we are fat bast*ards comments,seriously,does anyone know if the chippers actually have some kind of system that they actually send that alluding smell down the street
    Em, see my post above :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

There's a Ferrero factory in Cork where Tic-Tacs are made and you can smell its sweetened fumes many kilometers downwind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

jimgoose wrote: »
    In Greenland, they have fish and seal-blubber. They don't have cholesterol or diabetes. The other thing they don't have is sugar.

All food is fattening in the absence of exercise. There's no bad food. Only bad diet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

endacl wrote: »
    There's no bad food.

Plutonium cake wouldn't be very good for ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭droidman123

There's a Ferrero factory in Cork where Tic-Tacs are made and you can smell its sweetened fumes many kilometers downwind.

Yes but I doubt that is done delibratley to lure people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,370 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Plutonium cake wouldn't very good for ya.

Or a sh!t sandwich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

endacl wrote: »
    All food is fattening in the absence of exercise. There's no bad food. Only bad diet.
    No one has ever died from eating too much lettuce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I would guess that it is because the streets allow wind to travel faster with no obstructions . this then pulls the air out from behind buildings and brings any smells with them. kind of like a venturi effect

I was passing a car the other day and the occupants were gorging on something nice inside.
    I could smell it from 50feet away. I was starving straight away

I would guess that it is because the streets allow wind to travel faster with no obstructions . this then pulls the air out from behind buildings and brings any smells with them. kind of like a venturi effect

I was passing a car the other day and the occupants were gorging on something nice inside.
    I could smell it from 50feet away. I was starving straight away
    People who eat greasy food in cars should be shot with balls of their own shite

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

People who eat greasy food in cars should be shot with balls of their own shite

Give over yourself, you will be doing the same Monday night with your greasy sausage.

Give over yourself, you will be doing the same Monday night with your greasy sausage.
    Not at all my congruent friend, the only waft off me will be cologne du Tennent's with a hint of peat.

No one has ever died from eating too much lettuce.

Haven't lived either clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It's amazing the way that nearly every backwater dwelling in this country seems to have a chip run by 'eyetalians'

I know many moved here after WW2 but it's weird the way that they all opened up chippers. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Same with Indians being synonymous with corner shops in Britain?

...where incedentally they call the chipper 'The Chippie'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

You forgot the craic. They don't have that either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Eh?

Quick google finds cafes in Greenland serving cake and ice-cream. What are you on about?

MadsL wrote: »
    Eh?

Quick google finds cafes in Greenland serving cake and ice-cream. What are you on about?

Goddammit, I forgot about the Ben & Jerrys in Nuuk. Well, that puts the Inuit in the frozen -35 arsehole of the Arctic on a par with ourselves in terms of processed, sugary crap! :D

Marks and Spencer's have a thing where they emit bakery smells throughout the day even when there's no baking happening.

Least that's what I was told by a person and I've never checked if it's true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I really don't like the smell + it stays in the room and on your clothes and goes kindof stale after a while.

Is it true that Tallaght girls will put out for a bag of chips?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

In Ballyphehane, you can smell Ferrero and Barties chipper if the wind is from a certain direction, awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    Is it true that Tallaght girls will put out for a bag of chips?

Absolutely. You only have to show them a bag of chips and their underwear begins to resemble a bag of chips with too much vinegar at the bottom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,370 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Hammer89 wrote: »
    Absolutely. You only have to show them a bag of chips and their underwear begins to resemble a bag of chips with too much vinegar at the bottom.

Full of crispy bits?!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

In other news...sky gets dark at night and pope is Catholic.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭winnie the schtink

in thomas st dublin you can smell the hops roasting for the guinness mmmmmm..........fcuk the chips and battered sausage i'm off for another pint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

Marks and Spencer's have a thing where they emit bakery smells throughout the day even when there's no baking happening.

Least that's what I was told by a person and I've never checked if it's true.

Maltol through fragrance delivery systems. Gives that fresh bread smell without anything actually baking.

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    ...Is it true that Tallaght girls will put out for a bag of chips?

This is a common misconception that originated because of Tallafornian ladies' habit of dropping their chips at, shall we say, key moments during bus-stop knee-tremblers. :D

Advertisement