Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TY Activities

Options
  • 17-01-2016 1:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Just wondering, have many TY activities in other schools had religious elements for anybody else? In my school, listing all relevant trips and activities we
    - Have 2 classes of Religion 40 minutes a week
    - Went on a religious retreat to Knock (Compulsory, even for Atheists)
    - In music we were forced to provide music for a full school mass (Compulsory, even for Atheists)
    - We were told we would have to participate in the Pope John Paul II award (I'm an Atheist, so I refused to do it)
    - We are expected to play in a faith-based concert in our diocese playing Christian Rock songs and Pop songs (We will be shamed if we don't, and I am definitely more of a grunge/metal kind of guy)

My school has also gotten rid of one of the major parts of the year (without telling us before we went into TY, and even going as far putting the date for it on our calendar for 2015-2016), the musical, which was one of my reasons for doing TY. The year so far is OK, I have gotten to know my classmates better, and feel like I've opened up a lot. We have had some good trips (History/Geography of Galway, Ski Trip to Italy, Climbing Croagh Patrick and Ice Skating). I know I should expect some religious elements, as I am going to a Catholic school, but the year prior to us would go on trips every week, and we're lucky to go once a month. Anyway, what are your thoughts on this guys?

Advertisement