Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xbox One Elite Controller thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭upinthesky

Got a call this morning that a new controller was in store for me to collect so happy about that, brought it home and hubby said the difference because he had been using the standard ones, he will never go back as a the elite is far better..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

upinthesky wrote: »
    Got a call this morning that a new controller was in store for me to collect so happy about that, brought it home and hubby said the difference because he had been using the standard ones, he will never go back as a the elite is far better..

Argos are excellent in fairness. Can't say I've ever had a problem with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

After 7 months of usage, the RT button is not fully working on my Elite
    I have an E-Receipt from Argos from when I bought it in November, can I just print that out and go in with the controller to have it exchanged?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

After 7 months of usage, the RT button is not fully working on my Elite
    I have an E-Receipt from Argos from when I bought it in November, can I just print that out and go in with the controller to have it exchanged?

yup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭Liamalone

RB button cracked last night on my second Elite :(

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Adventagious

Liamalone wrote: »
    RB button cracked last night on my second Elite :(

That sucks, dude. Happened on my first one.

Hopefully you have more success than i did getting your second one replaced.

Pretty scandalous the build quality being so poor, such a shame for such a nice controller.

That sucks, dude. Happened on my first one.

Hopefully you have more success than i did getting your second one replaced.

Pretty scandalous the build quality being so poor, such a shame for such a nice controller.

Happened my first one too, I think I'll sell the replacement as I don't even use the paddles or that.

Well that was very quick.
    I went in and told them the RT button wasnt working, showed them my receipt and they gave me a new controller

Advice please, so the controller that was replaced about a month ago has also broke, this time its the RT button, can i bring it back to a different store or should i just ring Microsoft after the hassle i had with argos the last time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

upinthesky wrote: »
    Advice please, so the controller that was replaced about a month ago has also broke, this time its the RT button, can i bring it back to a different store or should i just ring Microsoft after the hassle i had with argos the last time?

straight back to argos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 464 ✭✭gmg678

is there a website, that shows the best sets up to use for the elite and games. I know on the xbox it has some but not many, or I am not using it right.

gmg678 wrote: »
    is there a website, that shows the best sets up to use for the elite and games. I know on the xbox it has some but not many, or I am not using it right.

I've the A, X, Y and B buttons mapped to the paddles. That way I don't need to take my thumbs from the thumbsticks.

straight back to argos.

Brought it back to argos in blanch instead of navan where i had the hassle first time around and the difference in customer service! Asked me the problem and said the control should have lasted more than a month and got me a new one straight away, no problem buying anything from argos after that...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,963 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Argos are selling the Elite controller for €138 and you get either forza 7 or Shadow of War free! Seems a good deal, you could even trade in the game to get the elite controller for around €100.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4488556.htm

Maybe a question for the other thread, but honestly, is it worth it?

mik_da_man wrote: »

Yes

No.

Breaks like the normal ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Yes
    Liamalone wrote: »
    No.

Breaks like the normal ones.

I am also on the fence regarding one also. I never seen or used one in person so I cannot talk on how premium it looks or feels. But tbh if it is plastic like the standard and all it adds is the back buttons then I feel it is overpriced. €75 sounds like a fair price to sell it at to me anyway, maybe the next revision they will lower the price. But it is overpriced at it's stock price premium or not, imo.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I am also on the fence regarding one also. I never seen or used one in person so I cannot talk on how premium it looks or feels. But tbh if it is plastic like the standard and all it adds is the back buttons then I feel it is overpriced. €75 sounds like a fair price to sell it at to me anyway, maybe the next revision they will lower the price. But it is overpriced at it's stock price premium or not, imo.

I'd doubt that the next revision will be any cheaper to be honest, they've sold millions of the elite at the higher price, so there's no need for them to sell it cheaper.

In terms of quality, it truly feels premium. It's weighty in all the right ways, and feels great in the hand. The ability to alter the length of the trigger buttons is fantastic, and getting the hang of the back levers gives a small advantage over those that don't have it.

In terms of build quality, however, the story is the same as the rest of the controllers. For some people, they'll never have any problems with it, but for others, the same things that happen to the original controller will happen to this (i.e. the LB button, and left trigger drift). It's a weird one in that it really seems to come down to how the individual person holds/uses their controller. No fault of theirs, the controller should be able to hold up to that kind of use. I've been using around five controllers for various amounts of time, with no issues whatsoever, while others have had theirs break after a few days of normal usage. Frustrating that this is still a problem.

All in all, I bought my at full price, and it was totally worth it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Moved some posts in here from the bargain alerts thread.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't mind what Liam says he seems to go through controllers like I go through underpants :pac:

The Elite isn't for everyone, it's a premium controller for people who want to spend that bit extra. It gives extra functionality and I don't like the standard controller after using the Elite for so long.

Mine has shown no trouble after over a year and a 1000+ hours gaming in that time.

The different coloured "Limited Edition" controllers are €70-€80 so I can't see an Elite for that price.

It feels great, nice bit of weight on it, i like the interchangeable sticks but I dont think its worth it.
    I had to return mine in June because the RB wasnt working, got a replacement which was still in the box until I finally decided to take out and use it yesterday

It feels great, nice bit of weight on it, i like the interchangeable sticks but I dont think its worth it.
    I had to return mine in June because the RB wasnt working, got a replacement which was still in the box until I finally decided to take out and use it yesterday

If I remember correctly you weren't using the paddles last time? Or was that someone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭WarpAsylum

I've never had a day's trouble with mine in just under a year.

Build quality is just that; quality!

Takes a bit of getting used to, but once you do, there's no going back.

If I remember correctly you weren't using the paddles last time? Or was that someone else?
    The build quality and sticks alone aren't worth the price. If you're not using the paddles, you're wasting your time.

I used the paddles, was handy for some games but thats all for me anyway.
    Actually, thinking about it now, I only ever had the X,Y,B and A buttons on the paddle, can the paddles be used in place of the Left and Right Triggers and buttons instead?

• Advertisement

Actually, thinking about it now, I only ever had the X,Y,B and A buttons on the paddle, can the paddles be used in place of the Left and Right Triggers and buttons instead?
    Yeah man, the paddles can be mapped to any button. Triggers, d-pad, stick clicks, anything.

Must be someone else I was thinking of who had an Elite but didn't use the paddles.

I have A,B,Y & X on my paddles. That way my thumbs never leave the sticks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Sync

Posted this in bargain alerts, might be good to someone:

Xbox One Elite Controller - €137.99

Includes a free copy of either:
    Forza 7 or Shadow of War

(CEX will give €38 cash for shadow of war - bringing the elite down to €100 if you were in the market for one)

Admittedly I do go through controllers like underpants :D

The RB button broke twice on seperate Elite controllers, I never took the third out of the box, ended up giving it away to a young relative when his standard one developed a fault.

I have one of the new white versions (model no 1708) since last December and it's still going strong. *Activate jinx*

There's no doubt it has a premium feel but still had the same shortcomings that the older model (model no. 1696 or something) had, which was disappointing.

I tried the paddles but couldn't get used to them so overall it wasn't for me.

Must be someone else I was thinking of who had an Elite but didn't use the paddles.

I have A,B,Y & X on my paddles. That way my thumbs never leave the sticks.

Yeah, that's definitely on the majority of games for me, but sometimes I find mapping a paddle or two to the d-pad, especially in shooters, is great. i.e Gears for switching weapons, Overwatch for bringing up the comms wheel...

Actually, come to think of it, I think it's in shooters that it really shines

• Advertisement

WarpAsylum wrote: »
    Yeah, that's definitely on the majority of games for me, but sometimes I find mapping a paddle or two to the d-pad, especially in shooters, is great. i.e Gears for switching weapons, Overwatch for bringing up the comms wheel...

Actually, come to think of it, I think it's in shooters that it really shines

Overwatch is my main game and it's handy to have reload, jump, crouch and Ult on the back. I've melee on the right thumbstick.

I find it suits me best especially for Lucio

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,425 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Shooters really shine with the paddles, being able to revive team mates in Destiny while still being able to aim, shoot and strafe was a game changer.

I'd probably find elite dangerous unplayable without them too, being able to turn off flight assist in combat without having to take my thumbs of the sticks is a massive advantage.

Even a game like dark souls or Witcher 3 where I can roll without sacrificing the right thumbstick,is greatly enhanced.

Basically, whoever designed controllers with the four buttons on the front should be shot.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Even a game like dark souls or Witcher 3 where I can roll without sacrificing the right thumbstick,is greatly enhanced.

Basically, whoever designed controllers with the four buttons on the front should be shot.
    I'm playing through Souls 2 at the moment and rolling/drinking estus without taking your thumbs off the sticks is a godsend.

Yeah, its seems that now that buttons on the back are so elementary, how could it not have been like that from the beginning?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,425 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'm playing through Souls 2 at the moment and rolling/drinking estus without taking your thumbs off the sticks is a godsend.

Yeah, its seems that now that buttons on the back are so elementary, how could it not have been like that from the beginning?

When you only had one d-pad it made sense but with dual analogue controllers it makes no sense for them to be where they are. They're the Coccyx of controllers as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭JoyPad

I've never been able to drive a manual gearbox in Forza or ProjectCARS until I mapped the gear shifting to the paddles.

JoyPad wrote:
    I've never been able to drive a manual gearbox in Forza or ProjectCARS until I mapped the gear shifting to the paddles.

Yeah, I tried that in Forza. Made it easier, but I still sucked ha ha

JoyPad wrote: »

I mainly play driving games, I wasn't going to get the elite until I read this.
    Some days I can't be arsed taking out the wheel/pedals, but the manual gearshift on the buttons annoy me.

I'm sold now!

Cheers :D

mik_da_man wrote:
    I mainly play driving games, I wasn't going to get the elite until I read this. Some days I can't be arsed taking out the wheel/pedals, but the manual gearshift on the buttons annoy me.

I'm sold now!

Cheers

Make the most of that deal in Argos at the moment so :)

Elite controller and Forza 7 for 137.99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 211 ✭✭B_Sharp

Might have been me. They've been sitting on my monitor stand as a reminder to use them more but there they've stayed pretty much. I've been playing mostly PC recently though so it's been mouse and keyboard. I've generally only been using the Elite for Pro Evo and some racing games.

I did stick the paddles in for Titanfall 2 on the Xbox. I had things like grenades and melee mapped and while it was handy, it still didn't completely win me over. About to finally shed the fear of driving manual in racing games though so I'll probably use them for that. Hopefully it'll help train me into getting used to them.

Despite not using the paddles much, I don't regret buying the Elite. The weight and feel are great and the normal controller feels a bit cheap when I go back to it! Got mine off Amazon Warehouse Deals for about €100, perfect condition in the box. If someone does a fair bit of gaming and has the disposable cash, I'd go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

I'm on my third one in a year. First one had thumbstick drift after 3 months and then the replacements grips started peeling away a couple of months ago. The quality of the components used are just poor for the premium price.

Having said that, they feel great in the hands and are lovely to use and I use it for several hours a day. Unless they improve the components though I wouldnt pay for another one. I have Design Lab and Gears of War controllers waiting to be used when this one fails.

If however they do improve the quality of components used in the parts that regularly fail then I will definitely buy again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

i think they must have a couple of manufacturing sites. must be some reason for the mixed experiences on here. i've mine two years. i've a 7 year old and a 2 year old that aren't supposed to use it but have and it's gotten a battering. i use it every time i play. and it's still as good as new without a mark on it.

given there are some that are breaking if you breath on them, and some that seem to take a hammering and keep ticking, i'm convinced it's two different sites

Make the most of that deal in Argos at the moment so :)

Elite controller and Forza 7 for 137.99

Got it yesterday, had Forza already so got Shadow of war, will likely sell it on tbh.
    Looking forward to taking it for a test drive today.

So do we have a secret forum or handshake, now that i'm in the Elite club??... :p

Got it yesterday, had Forza already so got Shadow of war, will likely sell it on tbh.

So do we have a secret forum or handshake, now that i'm in the Elite club??... :p
    Awesome, let us know what you think.

There used to be a knighting. Seems to have stopped.

I never got mine :(

There was a picture going around around, maybe it'll pop up again soon.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

CatInABox wrote: »
    There was a picture going around around, maybe it'll pop up again soon.....

Budget cutbacks. We have knighted very few this year :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Arise Sir WarpAsylum & Sir Mik_da_man of Boards.

Peasants, no more.

*You may join the other brothers at the tavern where we have some fine ale.

xY1HUyv.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

So do we have a secret forum or handshake, now that i'm in the Elite club??...  :p
    Awesome, let us know what you think.

There used to be a knighting. Seems to have stopped.

I never got mine :(
    Same :(

mossym wrote: »
    i think they must have a couple of manufacturing sites. must be some reason for the mixed experiences on here. i've mine two years. i've a 7 year old and a 2 year old that aren't supposed to use it but have and it's gotten a battering. i use it every time i play. and it's still as good as new without a mark on it.

given there are some that are breaking if you breath on them, and some that seem to take a hammering and keep ticking, i'm convinced it's two different sites

I don't have a Elite controller but I'd say it is like that standard controller where by some users keep breaking theirs and other users like myself have had no issues what so ever. I just use it normally which would make the controller take a fair bit of a hammering not that I would do it intentionally. Like when you are playing a game you do press buttons pretty aggressively and the analog sticks get thrown around the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭erkifino

Thought the original xblox controller could've used buttons were your ring, index and middle fingers are.

The shoulder buttons, back then, confused me. As for the black and white buttons... Mental.

• Advertisement

erkifino wrote: »

The shoulder buttons, back then, confused me. As for the black and white buttons... Mental.

Yea those black and white buttons were the pits so much better as bumper buttons but saying that the black and white buttons were really handy for doing drive by shootings in GTA San Andreas if you played it on the original xbox. You held the black and B to shoot the right hand side of the car and then white and A to shoot on the left hand side.

That is the only game I can think of where those black and white buttons were perfectly placed. Bearing in mind drive by shooting was the only way you could shoot out of a vehicle in San Andreas it's not like GTA V where by you can move the aim anywhere around the car to shoot.

Advertisement