Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best videogame soundtracks of 2015

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The Witcher 3 has some brilliant tracks, with the main theme being one of the standouts for me.

Can't remember if there was many other good tracks, but i love the main theme music for Fallout 4. Probably my favourite version of the Fallout theme.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Ori and the blind forest has a great soundtrack, also I really enjoyed the music used in dying light, it's got a kind of 80's action movie synth feel to it

• Another epic effort from Revolver Digital.
    Really set's the tone of the game and captures the dark themes so well (as did the first game).

A great variety of tracks on offer here.

Bloodbourne as mentioned by Retro would also be one of my favorites

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Undertale, Witcher 3 and Splatoon for me. Don't think anything else came close.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

For all its faults regarding repetition and variety, I thought Metal Gear Solid V had great music that captured the atmosphere and the time of the setting. Aside from the licensed tracks, bringing in Ludwig Forssell to create original 80's style tracks was an excellent decision. His style also compliments Gregson-Williams with the orchestral composition pieces so well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's one thing to have background music complementing what's going down on screen, perhaps even dynamically responding to the action. It's another thing entirely to pull the music to the foreground, and have it actively influence and interact with the gameplay.

Crypt of the Necrodancer is, in that sense, a masterpiece. I've always been a fan of rhythm games, but it's rare I've come across one that feels as ingeniously and harmoniously designed as CotN.

The music itself is excellent - a selection of lively, atmospheric and generally pumping compositions from Darren Baranowsky. But what's more impressive is how it feeds into and determines the flow of the game. The music clearly and cohesively sets the pace and tone of different levels, but also the flow of gameplay. It moves from considered to frantic, pushing the difficulty and demanding the player become totally immersed in the moment. The combat, movement, combo and digging systems are all reliant on beats - miss or misjudge one and there's a few tense moments as you try to get back on track. It's beautiful to build up a combo, devastating to accidentally hit and unbreakable rock. Then there's the little flourishes that enhance everything again - the operatic shop keepers, for example, adding an extra layer to the individual songs, but also serving as an audio hint for the player that there's something interesting nearby.

To really appreciate how effective it is, play through a level and then hit the replay button and speed it up. Divorced from the intensity of playing, and played at near superhuman speeds, you can admire from a removed standpoint just how elegantly the whole thing flows - how satisfying the gameplay flow is, how heartbreaking your errors. When you go back to play again - and you will, because it's a game of real depth - you'll likely have an extra appreciation of how well the music interacts with the game to create something very special.

There were more musically complex game soundtracks last year (oh hai Everybody's Gone to the Rapture). There were some you might be more inclined to listen to outside of their in-game context. There's some, like Undertale and EGttR again, that are more emotionally and thematically effective. But in terms of a soundtrack that definitively and beautifully fits with its host game above all else, and in fact actively informs the way the game plays, I'd have been impressed to have stumbled across anything nearly as satisfying.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

I was going to mention Shallie and Lost Dimension myself so I'll just throw in one more track from Shallie

I really loved Aquamarine from Shallie. I think it embodies a lot of the spirit of the game, starting off very softly spoken and growing gradually stronger until the second half of the track really kicks it up a gear

I generally dont think much of Tales of Series soundtracks, they're the worst example of Sakurabland. But thanks to the contributions of Go Shiina there was a lot I liked in Tales of Zestiria

Every one of the dungeon themes was a blast to explore to.
    I'm not sure if Rising Up! is that great as a standalone song but it's PERFECTLY timed in the game and becomes one of the best moments in the game.

Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax deserves a mention for this fantastic Sonic remix

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭saidinmilamber

Bloodborne hands down knocked it out of the park in terms of soundtrack. I help people kill Ludwig and Laurence in the DLC just so I can endlessly listen to the incredible music while killing giant beasts!

Dishonourable mention in Xenoblade Chronicles X, which I had to quit because the music in NLA was driving me INSANE.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Another vote for Bloodborne. Here's one more song and easily my favourite.

The First Hunter

I think Everybody's Gone to the Rapture deserves a mention. It has a fantastic orchestral soundtrack by Jessica Curry.

The Light We Cast

Life is Strange has a fantastic sombre soundtrack by Johnaton Morali that along with licensed tracks that perfectly fit the tone of the game. Tough to find Morali's work on the game at the moment.

Blackwell Academy
    Kids Will be Skeletons - Mogwai
    Spanish Sahara - The Foals

Now I haven't got around to Black Ops III but I've heard a decent bit of the soundtrack and it actually sounds great. Nails that futuristic vibe I feel. It's also pretty cool that they worked on a whole set of songs for the Zombie mode too. Hopefully I'll get around to it when I pick up a new PS4.

Ignition
    Cold Hard Cash

I've also heard the AC:Syndicate (Austin Wintory who scored Journey) and Axiom Verge soundtracks are excellent. I'll link some of the tracks I've heard.

The Assassin Two-Step - AC: Syndicate
    Underground - AC: Syndicate
    Vital Tide - Axiom Verge

I'll leave the likes of Shovel Knight and Bastion. 2015 is the first time I played them as they were ported to Vita however I highly recommend them, in particular Shovel Knight. I found myself humming to each level's theme. So good.

Edit: I just remember Batman: Arkham Knight. I wouldn't say it's one of my favourites of the year but I think it works really well with the game and has a few standouts, Inner Demons being one that I like a lot.

Inner Demon
    All Who Follow You
    Invasion

Personally Bloodborne, Life is Strange and MGSV are my favourites from the year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Bloodborne definitely, an amazing sonic landscape laid out for the player, and not a Green Hill in sight!
    Not only the music but the audio in general there was incredible, tying in with the world building going on in terms of lore.

• Advertisement
Advertisement