Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leaving & rejoing an Irish Health insurance scheme

• 17-01-2016 3:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭

I'm vaguely aware of a change in the Health insurance system in Ireland been introduced this year. Im trying to get an idea of how it affects me particularly. I was covered by my company's scheme when working in Ireland. Ive recently transferred to Poland and am working for the same company there so im no longer covered on the Irish scheme.

If was to ever get Irish health insurance that I had to pay for myself if i move back to ireland, would I be punished for leaving an Irish scheme for a period under the new system that was introduced?

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭Spocker

If your break in cover is more than 13 weeks, you'll be treated as a new customer, and you'll have to serve any appropriate waiting periods - this has always been the case.

The changes you're referring to are regarding the loadings on the premium thats applied to those over 34 taking out insurance for the first time - 2% per year (of your age, over 34) is added on

Details & comparisons are on the Health Insurance Authority website: http://www.hia.ie/consumer-information/lifetime-community-rating-explained

Depending on when you left, and are planning to return to Ireland, you may be entitled to the grace period of 9 months:
    hia.ie wrote:
    Q. What about people who have emigrated, will they have to pay the loading when they return?

A. Anybody who lives outside of the State on 1 May 2015 and moves to live in Ireland will have 9 months to purchase inpatient private health insurance avoiding the loading under Lifetime Community Rating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Spocker wrote: »
    If your break in cover is more than 13 weeks, you'll be treated as a new customer, and you'll have to serve any appropriate waiting periods - this has always been the case.

The changes you're referring to are regarding the loadings on the premium thats applied to those over 34 taking out insurance for the first time - 2% per year (of your age, over 34) is added on

Details & comparisons are on the Health Insurance Authority website: http://www.hia.ie/consumer-information/lifetime-community-rating-explained

Depending on when you left, and are planning to return to Ireland, you may be entitled to the grace period of 9 months:

Think that probably answers my problem, it wouldn't be my first time taking out HI and since I am emigrated on the 1st of May I have 9 months grace period anyway.

Advertisement