Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hebron road service station

Options
2»

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Cabaal wrote: »
    Its a great shop but man its a pain in the hole that the forecourt is so small, people park like idiots around it constantly blocking people in. I very rarely use it for this reason

It is small for the services that these places now offer. Callan road is an 8 pump station, Convenience store, deli and a take away. I'm guess there is probably 19-20 car spaces on the forecourt.

I don;t think people park like idiots, I think it is poor planning on behalf of the owners. If you are going to the Deli where are you meant to park?

If you look at the new applegreen station. Now that is badly planned. It doesn't have enough parking spaces. It even has a sit down section. The council should of stopped them as nwo the place has got queues going into the place. These queues are a danger to road users as cycle lanes are blocks. Driving lanes on a public road are blocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

People parking like idiots, I don't believe you.
    Someone at Blackquarry parked in front of the shop blocking the inside row of pumps this week:eek:...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Used to use the Callan rd all the time. They took AmEx(only garage I could find in KK). Absolute pain in the hole. Fookers doing their shopping blocking up the place. At least 3fills a week. Got a fuel card so can go anywhere now. That place took years off me

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

Looks like this was rejected
    It is considered that the proposed development, subject to compliance with conditions below, would seriously injure the amenities of the area and would therefore not be in accordance with the proper planning and sustainable development of the area. It is recommended that permission be refused for the reasons set out below.

1. The development is premature pending the preparation and adoption of an urban design framework plan for Hebron Road as the main entrance corridor to the city as set out in objective Z3 of the City and Environs Development Plan.

2. The proposed development, by virtue of its nature, low density and visual appearance and massing would consolidate a poor urban design pattern of development at this prominent site on one of the main entrance routes to the city and would militate against the achievement of objective Z3 in Section 3.4.6 of the Kilkenny City and Environs Development Plan and would therefore be contrary to the proper planning and sustainable development of the area.

Full document here

Looks like this was rejected

Full document here

It interesting that they mention this will be the main entrance route to the city. What is the plan. Is it as below to send all traffic across the CAS? I would of thought a petrol station on the entrance to the city was a good idea.

NewPark Drive was recently upgraded and the works to start soon on Castle Road becoeming a dual carriage way inbound at the barracks i presume this is the plan. I'm putting my money on a tesco petrol station on the mart site. That is why the council refused planning.

379432.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

kikel wrote: »
    It interesting that they mention this will be the main entrance route to the city. What is the plan. Is it as below to send all traffic across the CAS? I would of thought a petrol station on the entrance to the city was a good idea.

NewPark Drive was recently upgraded and the works to start soon on Castle Road becoeming a dual carriage way inbound at the barracks i presume this is the plan. I'm putting my money on a tesco petrol station on the mart site. That is why the council refused planning.

379432.png

Tesco on the mart site? I thought Tesco globally were shutting stores rather than opening new ones. Whatever goes into that site, it's certain to cause uproar with the neighbours. Nimbys galore.

citykat wrote: »
    Tesco on the mart site? I thought Tesco globally were shutting stores rather than opening new ones. Whatever goes into that site, it's certain to cause uproar with the neighbours. Nimbys galore.

Tesco are restructuring yes. it does not mean they will not be opening new stores in the future.

I suppose it depends what goes in there will dictate if people complain or not. A school would be nice. ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Tesco are restructuring yes. it does not mean they will not be opening new stores in the future.

I suppose it depends what goes in there will dictate if people complain or not. A school would be nice. ;)

While your throwing Tesco into the mix you might as well also claim M&S will open a store as well, its completely baseless to suggest Tesco will open
    :rolleyes:

Tesco are banjaxed, they have massively scalled back the opening of stores, they have reduced the amount of stores opening 24hours and they have several large stores in the UK that are finished but were never opened.

There's far better chance of a Dunness stores/Supervale and a Apple Green or other service station opening on the mart site. There's only a very small chance for Tesco.

I honestly don't know what is with people's obsession with Tesco,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

There's far better chance of a Dunness stores/Supervale and a Apple Green or other service station opening on the mart site. There's only a very small chance for Tesco.

I honestly don't know what is with people's obsession with Tesco,

Wait a minute, your suggesting a 3rd dunnes, or a third supervalu for Kilkenny??? you're away with the fairies

Applegreen have their spoke in for the garage off dean st near that roundabout...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

379432.png

Did you mean the comer road is going to be a dual carriageway from the barracks? Is it wide enough or will they be removing the trees on the mart side?

Seems an awful lot of traffic to be sending down Newpark drive. You'd nearly be as well turning right at the top of John street or at mcdonagh as you would now and going over the cas that way.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

pegasus1 wrote: »
    Wait a minute, your suggesting a 3rd dunnes, or a third supervalu for Kilkenny??? you're away with the fairies

Its much more likely then a Tesco especially when Tesco are building zip!

While your throwing Tesco into the mix you might as well also claim M&S will open a store as well, its completely baseless to suggest Tesco will open
    :rolleyes:

I've heard many people saying it. Yes, its a rumor. I';ve heard no rumors about M&S.

I'm also basing it on the Fact that Tesco submitted a proposal to kilkenny county council for building a store on the Brewery site. I've not heard of M&S submitting a proposal.

Granted things may have changed, but i still beleive that they will try and get into kilkenny. I could be wrong but as i said. "I'm putting my money on it."

What would you put your money on?

PaulKK wrote: »
    Did you mean the comer road is going to be a dual carriageway from the barracks? Is it wide enough or will they be removing the trees on the mart side?

Seems an awful lot of traffic to be sending down Newpark drive. You'd nearly be as well turning right at the top of John street or at mcdonagh as you would now and going over the cas that way.

Yes, it's pout for tender at the moment for the 2 lanes. The 2 inbound lanes will be on the barracks side of the trees and the 1 outbound lane will be on the other side of the trees. The roundabout at Castlecomer road and Newpark drive will be upgraded to take the extra traffic.

The image posted by me is not fact. I'm only asking is this the new way to access the city? I'm basing it on the tender out at the moement and the refusal saying that Hebron road is the new access point to the city.

Also, that roundabout in Newpark at the Eurospar is feckin huge. Why so big? It is descign to take a huge amount of traffic.

I'd be of the opinion this plan for access and the CAS, mart etc has been in a long time developing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Doesn't matter what goes in there, there'll be objections. It's the biggest eyesore in town and prime land, yet the locals want it left as is.

citykat wrote: »
    Doesn't matter what goes in there, there'll be objections. It's the biggest eyesore in town and prime land, yet the locals want it left as is.

Locals want it left as is!!! I think your mistaken.

Of course there will be objections. If their weren't developers would build what they want with no consideration about planning. Their are loads of possibilities for it.

Commercial, housing, educational to name a few.

Advertisement