Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant Disappeared - No contact and no rent for over a month

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Any electric or other utility charges are nothing to do with the landlord or owner or next tenants!

No, but if the tenant isn't paying either and is in arrears, the utility companies will disconnect.

The LL will then need to pay quite a lot of money to get the services reconnected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭marathonic

Just a quick update that I couldn't post earlier due to the Boards site issues: The tenant has contacted the landlord upon returning to the property and seeing the notice the landlord put through the letterbox.

As suspected, he was at home on holidays. He has apologised and told the landlord that money is short so he can pay 2 weeks worth of rent every week from now until his arrears are cleared. He asked me for my advice which was that, if the tenant has no ability to repay quicker, his best option is to proceed with the tenants plan and be more proactive in the future.

I'm sure the advice above will be useful for him, or other landlords, in the future. Most of the online information appears to be related to the more common scenario of getting a tenant out of a property when they will not leave as opposed to cannot be contacted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

marathonic wrote: »
    Just a quick update that I couldn't post earlier due to the Boards site issues: The tenant has contacted the landlord upon returning to the property and seeing the notice the landlord put through the letterbox.

As suspected, he was at home on holidays. He has apologised and told the landlord that money is short so he can pay 2 weeks worth of rent every week from now until his arrears are cleared. He asked me for my advice which was that, if the tenant has no ability to repay quicker, his best option is to proceed with the tenants plan and be more proactive in the future.

I'm sure the advice above will be useful for him, or other landlords, in the future. Most of the online information appears to be related to the more common scenario of getting a tenant out of a property when they will not leave as opposed to cannot be contacted.

Well I honestly didn't see that one coming. My view would be, If the LL is prepared to take a risk on this guy, that's his business, but if there is one more infraction, I would be issuing eviction notices pronto.

Money was short because he prioritised his holiday home over his rent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

Well I honestly didn't see that one coming. My view would be, If the LL is prepared to take a risk on this guy, that's his business, but if there is one more infraction, I would be issuing eviction notices pronto.

Money was short because he prioritised his holiday home over his rent.

i agree. i would suggest the landlord issue a letter to the tenant regarding the payment plan - if the repayments are not made as agreed, eviction notice will be issued.

Advertisement