Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning faulty Xbox One to Harvey Norman

Options
  • 17-01-2016 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭

Bought an Xbox one for christmas, and immediately gave problems. Won't install some games, won't read disks, won't play DVDs.

Can I just bring it back to the store and look for a replacement, or will they send it off for repair?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

They can offer repair, replace or refund under consumer law. It is up to them which one they pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Miaireland wrote: »
    They can offer repair, replace or refund under consumer law. It is up to them which one they pick.

It is NOT up to them. It is up to them to come to an agreement with you if it's repair, replace or refund. Do NOT let them dictate.

http://www.consumerhelp.ie/faulty-goods?gclid=CL-k1J6ascoCFUix2wod4JwLjA#2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Harvey Norman are usually very nice to deal with. Just package it back up and bring it back explaining the problem and they usually just exchange it for a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

They usually replace faulty goods with 28 days of purchase. As you just purchased it before Christmas you should be within the timeline for a replacement unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll keep you posted on the outcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Paulw wrote: »
    It is NOT up to them. It is up to them to come to an agreement with you if it's repair, replace or refund. Do NOT let them dictate.

http://www.consumerhelp.ie/faulty-goods?gclid=CL-k1J6ascoCFUix2wod4JwLjA#2
    In effect, the choice lies with the vendor.

If a consumer rejects a particular remedy - say a repair- what happens? The vendor does nothing. So the consumer initiates a court action. The vendor tells the judge that a repair was offered. Unless there are special circumstances such as a proper repair being an impossibility, the judge is just about certain to throw the case out.

In effect, the choice lies with the vendor.

If a consumer rejects a particular remedy - say a repair- what happens? The vendor does nothing. So the consumer initiates a court action. The vendor tells the judge that a repair was offered. Unless there are special circumstances such as a proper repair being an impossibility, the judge is just about certain to throw the case out.

I can see what you mean here. The vendor can offer a repair or replacement, if I refuse a repair and want a replacement do they have to give me one.

Saying that, with regards to the consumer rights link, because the fault was there when I bought it, and didn't happen months later, then should I get a replacement then. The fact I've had it a month(if even), and it's shown a fault right out of the box, then it would be unreasonable to request a replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It is up to them - the consumer does absolutely not get to pick the remedy.

No, you can't just say 'no, don't want a repair' and expect a brand new Xbox. It's covered pretty accurately above. Having said that, if you make a fuss, they may just replace it in any case - but that's at their discretion and there's no legal obligation for them to do so if you refuse a repair.

You can't reasonably demand an immediate replacement on the basis that it's allegedly faulty out of the box when you're not returning it until a month after purchase.

They probably would have replaced it on the spot if you had brought it back within a few days of Christmas.

Also, it may be easier to just deal with Microsoft. They're good for returns.

You can't reasonably demand an immediate replacement on the basis that it's allegedly faulty out of the box when you're not returning it until a month after purchase.

They probably would have replaced it on the spot if you had brought it back within a few days of Christmas.

Hadn't tried movies in the disk drive, one game in particular wasn't working, and on changing it for another copy, that too did not work, some other games work, and some not at all.

I would have brought it back, but I hadn't fully been aware of the problem with games and movies. Also, the Harvey Norman store I purchased it from was 50 miles away, and I work 7 days a week. So, I hadn't the time to bring it back when I wanted to.

Look, all you need to do is bring the console back to the retailer of which you purchased it from. The contract is between you the consumer and the seller Only, (the manufacturer has nothing to do with it in this case). In cases like this the seller would 'under 28 days' replace the console free of any charge, but some sellers will offer a repair firstly. So, if the seller offers a repair I would go with that firstly.

If the first repair fails then you can bring it back for another repair, but if the third repair fails then you can demand a new replacement in regards to Irish consumer law. The reason for this is the case that the seller has offered the repair, but if the repair fails a third time then you have automatic right for a replacement. If they cannot give you a replacement then they have to give you a refund.

Basically the seller has three strikes to repair it, if it fails again on the third repair then they have to give you a replacement/refund

the Harvey Norman store I purchased it from was 50 miles away

I think you can bring it back to any Harvey Norman store once you have a receipt ? I need clarification on that to be sure.

Most retailers will just give you a replacement and send back the faulty system to their supplier. But as I said above... the seller can apply a repair three times only, no more than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

If the first repair fails then you can bring it back for another repair, but if the third repair fails then you can demand a new replacement in regards to Irish consumer law. The reason for this is the case that the seller has offered the repair, but if the repair fails a third time then you have automatic right for a replacement. If they cannot give you a replacement then they have to give you a refund...
    You can follow that process if it suits you.

But, in general, the vendor is entitled to only one shot at a repair.

Some suppliers, notably in the phone market, have attempted to shift the goalposts.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

Why would someone want a faulty Xbox repaired when someone else paid the same for one working fine?

Anyway, why did it take you so long to look into getting it changed?
    It would make it sound like it worked fine to begin with, from Harvey Norman's point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If the first repair fails then you can bring it back for another repair, but if the third repair fails then you can demand a new replacement in regards to Irish consumer law. The reason for this is the case that the seller has offered the repair, but if the repair fails a third time then you have automatic right for a replacement. If they cannot give you a replacement then they have to give you a refund.

Basically the seller has three strikes to repair it, if it fails again on the third repair then they have to give you a replacement/refund

The three strikes rule is a fallacy that has unfortunately become commonly accepted. The retailer has one chance to repair. You, as the consumer, are entitled to expect any repair to be permanent. If the same fault occurs again, you are entitled to reject further repairs and instead persue a refund or replacement.

You can of course, continue to work with the seller on the repair option, if you wish, but you do not have to.

dudara wrote: »
    The three strikes rule is a fallacy that has unfortunately become commonly accepted. The retailer has one chance to repair. You, as the consumer, are entitled to expect any repair to be permanent. If the same fault occurs again, you are entitled to reject further repairs and instead persue a refund or replacement.

You can of course, continue to work with the seller on the repair option, if you wish, but you do not have to.

Thanks for the clarification. They (Dell) got me with that one a few years ago saying that once they are trying to remedy the problem up to a final third repair they were within their policy rights. It's quite obvious now that the first repair must be permenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

Slightly off topic I know... But if the op hasn't brought the console back in yet. Delete the Blu-ray player app. Hold the power button on the console for ten secondsseconds. Turn the console back on and re-download the Blu-ray app.

Should do the trick

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Slightly off topic I know... But if the op hasn't brought the console back in yet. Delete the Blu-ray player app. Hold the power button on the console for ten secondsseconds. Turn the console back on and re-download the Blu-ray app.

Should do the trick

The blu ray issue was fixed in a mandatory update a good while back, as long as the console hit live its been replaced.

There are known issues with the physical drive though so HN will most likely just swap in a new console as MS will have instructed them to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

The blu ray issue was fixed in a mandatory update a good while back, as long as the console hit live its been replaced.

There are known issues with the physical drive though so HN will most likely just swap in a new console as MS will have instructed them to do so.

The first part of your reply is kind of true. However a lot of consoles still have this issue. And most can easily be fixed quickly by doing the above. Takes less than five minutes so worth the try....

Your second point depends moreso on store policy than what MS have instructed them to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

The first part of your reply is kind of true. However a lot of consoles still have this issue. And most can easily be fixed quickly by doing the above. Takes less than five minutes so worth the try....

Your second point depends moreso on store policy than what MS have instructed them to do!

Mandatory updates can't be avoided, not if you hit live and want to stay on it. The bluray app issue is well known and was discovered back in October and made mandatory in november.

Harvey Norman cannot repair devices in house obviously so will always send them to MS whose policy is to immediatly replace and investigate issues later.

Brought the xBox back to Harvey on Thursday. They connected up in store, ran a load of disks in it, majority of them didn’t work at all. They tried a lense cleaner, and the disk drive couldn’t even recognise there was a disk in it, same fault for dvd’s/blu-rays too.

They gave my Microsofts number, and stated that they would replace it. Coming out to my home taking the faulty one, and giving me a new one.

Advertisement