Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick question for landlords

Options
  • 17-01-2016 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

Hope its ok to post this here - feel free to move if not

I advertised some furniture on Adverts, have a buyer calling this evening, she asked me for a receipt for her landlord
    Would it be ok to just put received with thanks €xx for xxx and sign my name on the end

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I really don't get this?
    It is not normal for a tenant to go out, source furniture- and then ask for a receipt for their landlord. Something doesn't add up here. Properties are either let furnished- in which case the landlord has furnished the property- or unfurnished- in which case the tenant brings or sources their own furniture.

The very most I'd be willing to do- is a very vague receipt with my contact information on it- in case someone tries to use the receipt for tax purposes.

Whether or not this lady has a receipt or not- is *not* your problem- you are not a shop supplying her with goods or a service- you are a private person selling a few items on adverts- if you start handing out receipts for your items- its unlikely- but possible- that you could be asked to account for the items at some future point in time (e.g. anyone who sells over 5k of personal goods online per annum is expected to declare the income on a tax return and pay income tax at their marginal rate on it)............

Something doesn't add up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

Yes. I don't think there's any other option. It's a private sale so you can't give anything other than a typed/handwritten sentence confirming the price paid, what was bought & a contact number if you want to provide it.

No idea as to whether a landlord can use that kind of receipt in his tax return though. Maybe the tenant just needs to show what they paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭magicray

Thanks I though it was a little bit strange myself

I have printed the add out with her offer and my acceptance and have another page saying received with thanks €xx
    I have signed it but didn't add my phone number, my adverts name is there if need be

I rarely sell anything tbh so will never reach €5k

She is calling at 7pm

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭peter_dublin

magicray wrote: »
    Thanks I though it was a little bit strange myself

I have printed the add out with her offer and my acceptance and have another page saying received with thanks €xx
    I have signed it but didn't add my phone number, my adverts name is there if need be

I rarely sell anything tbh so will never reach €5k

She is calling at 7pm

From reading about this before there is no point, revenue won't accept it as a deduction as far as I am aware as they say that it could have already been claimed for in the past due to it being second hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭NinetyForNone

They mightn't be claiming, just knocking off the rent. Happened before with me with landlord living having emigrated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭peter_dublin

They mightn't be claiming, just knocking off the rent. Happened before with me with landlord living having emigrated.

True but in that case I would have imagined a print out of the ad would be enough because it's not as if the Landlord can really verify the source. Phone number could be a mate etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

That tenant is confused. The landlord possibly told them to go buy some replacement furniture and provide them with a receipt.

Second hand furniture is not tax deductible as far as I know, so the tenant has probably gotten the wrong end of the stick.

But, from your point of view, this arrangment between the tenant and their landlord is nothing to do with you, so you can give them a handwritten receipt, and that's exactly what they asked for.

My worry would be the tenant phoning you ten times a day for the next week trying to get you to take it back because they made a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭magicray

pwurple wrote: »
    My worry would be the tenant phoning you ten times a day for the next week trying to get you to take it back because they made a mistake.

Oh dear God that better not happen !

Well my sofa has gone to its new home along with the note I mentioned above, just hope thats the end of it - the landlord has done well imo anyway as his tenants got a bargain - there is no way even with the vat back he would have got a decent suite for the price paid

Thanks for all the advice

Advertisement