Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beach Advice..

Options
  • 17-01-2016 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of trying bit of beach fishing for the first time. Going to hit the Clare coast in the next week, have a beach-caster and reel but no idea what bait or rigs to go with, so just looking for some advice if possible. thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭ALANC81

Get some Sand Eel, Mackrell and Rag Worm and you should be good to go. Don't forget to get some tying elastic to tye your baits to your hook.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

If you're fishing over sand, you'll need breakaway leads to make sure you hold the bottom, unless you're using a running sinker. As for rigs, you can use pretty much anything, but a 1- or 2-hook paternoster is probably the most useful. You might get some ideas from this guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 wellmade2040

If your scratching about and just want a fish or two for fun this would be my suggestion

A two hook flapper rig , which can be bought made up for cheap enough in a tackle shop, with size 4 hooks, use small sections of a rag worm, tipped with a sliver of mackerel or squid , with small hooks and Baits like that you'll be sure to catch at least something

A 4oz grip lead would be perfect for weights too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

4oz weights - 2/3 hook flappers - learn how to cast a beach rod - look up off the ground casting, then pendulum casting (dangerous)

Make sure you use shock leaders (10 turns of at least 50lb line) tied to your main line (20lb is fine) Look up an albright knot for this. A 4 oz lead will probably kill you if you cant cast corrrectly. Be aware of crack offs and beach goers.

Sea angling ireland - go there and read reports of places and how they are fishing.

Frozen/fresh lugworm - rag if you can get it - squid - mackeral in my opinion brings the dogs in - if its your first time and just for fun then great - but 20 dogs in a session will make you go bald.

4oz weights - 2/3 hook flappers - learn how to cast a beach rod - look up off the ground casting, then pendulum casting (dangerous)

Make sure you use shock leaders (10 turns of at least 50lb line) tied to your main line (20lb is fine) Look up an albright knot for this. A 4 oz lead will probably kill you if you cant cast corrrectly. Be aware of crack offs and beach goers.

Sea angling ireland - go there and read reports of places and how they are fishing.

Frozen/fresh lugworm - rag if you can get it - squid - mackeral in my opinion brings the dogs in - if its your first time and just for fun then great - but 20 dogs in a session will make you go bald.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

some great info there lads, sound. i'll update if i have any luck.

When you headed? Look up the beach series of totally awesome fishing - Some great tips in there!

Advertisement