Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday entitlements.

Options
  • 17-01-2016 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭

My wife is due in Feb and wants to take 2 weeks holidays before she is due to go on maternity leave. (On maternity leave you must finish 2 weeks before your due date) so she'll be finishing 4 weeks before she is due in effect.

Reason being that she is having a hard pregnancy and needs the 4 weeks off, in my opinion. Has worked in the company many years . When she requested the 2 weeks off in Feb before maternity she was told she would not be entitled to it as she would not have worked up her holiday entitlement.

Is this the case?

I was of the understanding that if your first year of employment you had to work up holiday entitlement for the year.

Can anyone clarify this and give some advise please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Best avenue would be to explore maternity leave entitlement rules. As far as standard holiday entitlement, my understanding would be that, your annual entitlement accumulate as the year progresses. Individual employer may allow you to take holidays, before you have worked up the hours.

...if memory serves me correct a minimum of 2 weeks of your maternity leave must be used before the due that. Thats a minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

If she is having a "hard"pregnancy maybe she should speak to her doctor about taking sick leave before she goes on maternity leave. Are there particular work issues that would impact on pregnancy? this would include a physically or emotionally stressful environment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

My wife is due in Feb and wants to take 2 weeks holidays before she is due to go on maternity leave. (On maternity leave you must finish 2 weeks before your due date) so she'll be finishing 4 weeks before she is due in effect.

Reason being that she is having a hard pregnancy and needs the 4 weeks off, in my opinion. Has worked in the company many years . When she requested the 2 weeks off in Feb before maternity she was told she would not be entitled to it as she would not have worked up her holiday entitlement.

Is this the case?

I was of the understanding that if your first year of employment you had to work up holiday entitlement for the year.

Can anyone clarify this and give some advise please
    The holiday allowance is reset every period; most companies this means your holiday allowance runs 1st Jan. to 31st Dec. which means by February she'd have worked up about 3.5 days assuming 20 days a year (i.e. 1/6th of yearly allowance).

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭TheIronyMaiden

The above post is correct. Could she just start her actual maternity leave 4 weeks before instead of 2? She would be finishing maternity leave 2 weeks earlier, but as holiday days/public holidays are accrued during maternity leave, she could use those to cover the 2 weeks at the end rather than the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

The above post is correct. Could she just start her actual maternity leave 4 weeks before instead of 2? She would be finishing maternity leave 2 weeks earlier, but as holiday days/public holidays are accrued during maternity leave, she could use those to cover the 2 weeks at the end rather than the start.

Depends on her job. No accumulation of public holidays in teaching for example

Edit: Just read the word "company", likely private employment so yes this is possible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭TheIronyMaiden

Depends on her job. No accumulation of public holidays in teaching for example

Edit: Just read the word "company", likely private employment so yes this is possible

Ah okay my bad, I didn't realise that.

Would be worth getting your wife to look into that though OP, see if her job allows building up of holidays! Could be a solution to her problem.

Advertisement