Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reliable used cars dealers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Im interested in buying a used car and I am wondering if anyone knows any realiable used car dealer.

Anyone knows Tim Lucey Car Sales???

I have seen many ads like this one from them
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla-t3-d-4d/11133700

But the website seems down http://www.timluceycars.com/

Bought a car off him in 2002. Never again. Within 2 months gearbox and fuel pump went. Never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Strange that a car dealer is taking photos of car in a estate and not his forecourt

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭pabloazazel

Sould I go for private sellers or dealers?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Sould I go for private sellers or dealers?

well with private sellers the most important thing to consider is caveat emptor (buyer beware). You will not really have a comeback with a private seller, once you hand over your money that's it.

With a dealer you are buying with some peace of mind, you often may get a warranty on the car and should you have any issues with it then the consumer act will be on your side.

Of course the trade off is that you will often pay more for the same car through a dealer.

If you are buying from a private seller I'd definitely get an independent mechanic to look the car over and I'd pay the few quid for a cartell report (cartell.ie).

Check out this sticky on the Motoring forum for lots of useful info, here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭goochy

you should decide what car you want first , then search donedeal etc.
    whether buying privately or from dealer, you must to history check and get mechanic to check car. when spending a few 4 thousand on car theres a lot to go wrong and used car dealer warranty not going to be more than 3 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Lehanes would be quite good I would think. I haven't got a car from them but know someone working there and they seem very decant and honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

physioman wrote: »
    Bought a car off him in 2002. Never again. Within 2 months gearbox and fuel pump went. Never again.
    I took a Nissan patrol back to them in the early 90's to get it ready for the mot with a list of what I wanted done, they changed parts that didn't need to be changed and had a whopper of a bill ready for me when I went to collect it :mad: shower of cowboys back then whatever about now.

well with private sellers the most important thing to consider is caveat emptor (buyer beware). You will not really have a comeback with a private seller, once you hand over your money that's it.

With a dealer you are buying with some peace of mind, you often may get a warranty on the car and should you have any issues with it then the consumer act will be on your side.

Of course the trade off is that you will often pay more for the same car through a dealer.

If you are buying from a private seller I'd definitely get an independent mechanic to look the car over and I'd pay the few quid for a cartell report (cartell.ie).

Check out this sticky on the Motoring forum for lots of useful info, here

First time i heard about cartell.ie How can they provide all that information? it is really interesting
    goochy wrote: »
    you should decide what car you want first , then search donedeal etc.
    whether buying privately or from dealer, you must to history check and get mechanic to check car. when spending a few 4 thousand on car theres a lot to go wrong and used car dealer warranty not going to be more than 3 months.

I already decided the car, toyota corolla so I will start searching, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

First time i heard about cartell.ie How can they provide all that information? it is really interesting

I already decided the car, toyota corolla so I will start searching, thanks

Try Macroom Motors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

No such thing as a reliable used car dealer. Even the "reliable" delarship garages are shysters, but they have to give you a warranty, so they are proabbaly worth the extra money.

FWIW, I wouldn't used Cavanaghs in Charleville ever again. Bought my car November 2011. By Feb 2012 I was having problems with the gearbox and clutch. I brought it down to them and they repaired it for free as it was within the 12 month warranty. I had barely got back to Cork when the same issue arose again

rinse repeat another 2 times until eventually the took it off me for a week and did a proper job. They complained to me that it cost them over €1000 to do, so I was lucky it was within warranty. Now, I am convinced that when I brought it back the first few times they did the bare minimum so they could get passed the warranty.

Anyway, a few months later again, same problem, I went back to them again. They said it was a differnet issue but is manifesting itself in the same way. I lost the plot with them when they asked me for €650 for its repair and drove off. My local mechanic fixed the problem for €80.

TLDR : Dont use Cavanaghs of Charleville. Ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Anyone ever use FMAutos on Kinsale road?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

Bacchus wrote: »

Years ago. He used to do only SAAB's . Think he has expanded now to do all types of cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭panevthe3rd

MLD autos in Mitchelstown is very good. Not a bit of trouble out of the car going on a year. Sources used cars from England mostly I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

If FMAutos are the crowd out by Five mile bridge I wouldn't go near them. Know someone who bought a car there and the whole back seat was loose.

MLD seem very decent. Would trust them.

A mechanic said to me that the main dealers are even more dodgy than the small places on the side of the road.

Basically it's pot luck but you can decrease the risk by doing the basic checks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I've heard from a few people to avoid Jason O'Brien car sales. Have heard a first firsthand stories!

If you have any friends/family members that are mechanics, or even know someone that knows about cars, bring them with you when looking if you can. I brought my brothers friend who is a mechanic to a few different garages and private sellers with me. He could tell right away if the cars had been in crashes etc.. We found one car that looked perfect and then he noticed the milage had been tippexed and changed on the NCT disc :eek:

I got my car in this place in Kerry: O'Keeffe's Garage

Middle of nowhere but close enough to my hometown. Had heard from a lot of people they are reliable and the car I got is perfect!

anyone knows this dealer Healy car?

http://www.healycarsales.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭theminstrel

+1 for Cavanaghs in Charleville.
    Genuinely was interested in buying a car from them. Sales person couldn't care less. He was going to check prices for my car and call me back. Never heard back of course. Their loss I guess

Anyone knows Bishopstown Car Sales?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Bacchus wrote: »

Shower of b@stards. They've tried ripping me off several times. Last month most recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

The guy I met there seemed decent. Car was in good nic too. Didn't end up buying there so can't comment on any 'after sales' experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Not Cork city but I've always found Maurice Hanley in Kilworth to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Lekrub

KC161 wrote: »
    Shower of b@stards. They've tried ripping me off several times. Last month most recently.

Ah you gotta give some details. Last time using them then? What happened with them?

Lekrub wrote: »
    Ah you gotta give some details. Last time using them then? What happened with them?

He has a 2007 Seat Leon in stock. 1.9tdi. The car was changed from 1.4 petrol to diesel in 2014 as per cartell history report. Retail price on it is €6250. No tax and 11 months test. Plus it needs a few bits that they won't fix. Bonnet catch and fog light to name. Went to trade in my 2006 mazda 6 1.8 petrol with 2 full years nct and 5 months tax. FM autos wanted €5450 PLUS MY CAR for the leon. In the end i traded it in and got €1700 elsewhere for it. Fergus Madden and Dominic Lecane are 2 of the biggest scrooges around.

P.S the seat leon has sat in his garage unsold since march 2015 and as of 5pm this evening was still there when i was heading to riverstick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Lekrub

He has a 2007 Seat Leon in stock. 1.9tdi. The car was changed from 1.4 petrol to diesel in 2014 as per cartell history report. Retail price on it is €6250. No tax and 11 months test.

:eek::eek: Could you come across a dodgier car from a dealer. If by chance you hadn't of checked its history you would you wouldn't have a hope of insurance if they picked it up.

Stories like this makes me stick with buying private. Its just the cash handover that I wish was easier.

:eek::eek: Could you come across a dodgier car from a dealer. If by chance you hadn't of checked its history you would you wouldn't have a hope of insurance if they picked it up.

Stories like this makes me stick with buying private. Its just the cash handover that I wish was easier.

I had a leon before and sold it and to this day i still regret it but circumstances warranted it at the time. I'm glad i checked it. Even when i showed them the report they tried to deny it that "you must have the wrong car" rubbish. The car i bought in the end was an english import and squeaky clean on both sides of the sea.as you say handing over so much cash hurt badly and still does but needs must.

Here is the car in question

http://m.fmautos.ie/viewanad.php?ad_id=1236555&r=

The 04 is suspiciously low. I'd be doing a car history check on both even if it is a well known cork dealer. I almost bought a written off car in january until i done a history check.

The 04 is suspiciously low. I'd be doing a car history check on both even if it is a well known cork dealer. I almost bought a written off car in january until i done a history check.

Where did you do the history check?

• Advertisement

Where did you do the history check?

Here

http://www.cartell.ie/

Advertisement