Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Lambeau host a Super Bowl?

• 17-01-2016 10:08pm

Should one of the most famous stadiums in the game host a Super Bowl?

Yes, it's cold, and it's not covered. But after the Meadowlands/MetLife hosted it in 2014, they have shown a willingness to waive the old "indoors in colder climates" requirements. Maybe Green Bay isn't as glam as a stadium on the outskirts of NY...but it is Titletown, so it would seem appropriate.

I'd be in favour. I think a game in ice can be just as appealing as a game in Florida (which has hosted it 10 times). But as a Packers fan, I'm biased.

Comments

Should one of the most famous stadiums in the game host a Super Bowl?

Yes, it's cold, and it's not covered. But after the Meadowlands/MetLife hosted it in 2014, they have shown a willingness to waive the old "indoors in colder climates" requirements. Maybe Green Bay isn't as glam as a stadium on the outskirts of NY...but it is Titletown, so it would seem appropriate.

I'd be in favour. I think a game in ice can be just as appealing as a game in Florida (which has hosted it 10 times). But as a Packers fan, I'm biased.

they waived it for new york it does not mean they have waived it as a requirement i can't see green bay ever happening for a few reasons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭Morrison J

I think the fact it bucketed down snow in NYC the day after that Super Bowl would put them off risking it for a while anyway.

I'd be fuming if my team made a Super Bowl and lost it due to a dropped snap because of the snow or something. Need as even a playing field as possible for the Super Bowl imo.

I still think the NYC cold played into Seattle's hands two years ago. Peyton has proved time and time again he's not good in cold weather.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

No.

Morrison J wrote: »
    I think the fact it bucketed down snow in NYC the day after that Super Bowl would put them off risking it for a while anyway.

I'd be fuming if my team made a Super Bowl and lost it due to a dropped snap because of the snow or something. Need as even a playing field as possible for the Super Bowl imo.

I still think the NYC cold played into Seattle's hands two years ago. Peyton has proved time and time again he's not good in cold weather.

i disagree with that part of football is playing the elements

Morrison J wrote: »

Again, I'm biased, and not just in favour of the Packers but the NFC North in general, but playing in the cold and tolerating those conditions should be just as legit as playing in the sunshine. Just like the Rugby World Cup can be held in Ireland even if it was thought back in the day that hard pitches favoured attractive play. Or in golf, sometimes links courses get majors, with all their high winds and pothole bunkers, prompting crazy scores. It's just seen as part if the sport.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I dont think Green Bay has the infrastructure to host a superbowl, never mind the weather. Also the weather in GB is likely to be even worse than NY.

Never going to happen I don't think,

Again, I'm biased, and not just in favour of the Packers but the NFC North in general, but playing in the cold and tolerating those conditions should be just as legit as playing in the sunshine. Just like the Rugby World Cup can be held in Ireland even if it was thought back in the day that hard pitches favoured attractive play. Or in golf, sometimes links courses get majors, with all their high winds and pothole bunkers, prompting crazy scores. It's just seen as part if the sport.

still won't happen i dont even know if green bay would have the required facilities for it to be honest

edit:adrian beat me to it

adrian522 wrote: »
    I dont think Green Bay has the infrastructure to host a superbowl, never mind the weather. Also the weather in GB is likely to be even worse than NY.

True, but think the strict requirements are merely sufficient media facilities and car parking.

If urban myths are to be believed, it might lack the 10,000 hookers though...would be hard to sell a quickly in a snowplow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

adrian522 wrote: »

Your right about the infrastructure.
    There is more to it than just the game, its a week long event.
    There is the media and fans, you need hotel rooms to accommodate them.
    You need the restaurants and bars etc.
    For many its a week long vacation rater than just the game.

Big cities can give you all that, like Minneapolis, Indianapolis or Detroit, and NYC certainly can.

Well, I don't know how big Green Bay is, where would all the events, media, parties etc happen, how many hotel rooms are in Green Bay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,187 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Green Bay is about the same size as Limerick! It wouldn't have the hotel and bar facilities.

Think hotel rooms could be an issue, and think Green Bay is about 4 hours from Minneapolis and Chicago.

That could be the thread closer! It just seems a shame.

Okay, how about Wisconsin Badgers Camp Randall as a compromise, just to get the Super Bowl to Wisconsin. Holds 80k, 2 hours from Chicago. Though think Michigan's Big House might be more in line in terms of college venues in that part of the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The playing surface in snow couldn't be much worse than the embarrassment of a farmer's field that is hosting it this year. That pitch is a disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

Think hotel rooms could be an issue, and think Green Bay is about 4 hours from Minneapolis and Chicago.

That could be the thread closer! It just seems a shame.

Okay, how about Wisconsin Badgers Camp Randall as a compromise, just to get the Super Bowl to Wisconsin. Holds 80k, 2 hours from Chicago. Though think Michigan's Big House might be more in line in terms of college venues in that part of the world.

Chicago is only 2 and half hours from Green Bay done that drive a few times and 4 hours from Minneapolis.

Camp Randall is definitely not a stadium they could use for a Superbowl. Its an old bowl type stadium that still uses terraces to sit on. The two end zone sections are mainly just brick you sit your ass on. And the only reason it holds 80k is because they squeeze about 20-30k folk into it due to these concrete seats. It is not modern enough for a Superbowl. Madison could possibly have enough amenities in it for the other stuff though. It will never happen in a non NFL owned stadium though.

Green Bay as the location wouldn't work either. The weather in the mid west is far worse than it is on the East Coast and this time of year add that to what others said Green Bay is a tiny place with not enough amenities. They could possibly use Appleton as a feeder city with is only 30 mins away that has a lot of amenities and is commonly used by folk traveling to Green Bay for games.

I love WI and Green Bay as locations and would probably tough it out for a bowl but us fans who would tough it out are not the ones that Bowls are aimed at as lets face it unless you are lucky to get a regular priced ticket for a bowl its people with money or sponsors or complimentary tickets given that go to bowls and Green Bay wont be ideal to many of these folk.

Thanks JCTO, great to hear from someone who knows the issues on the ground...didn't know it was that near Chicago so again that's got me thinking...so there's a chance...maybe like Lloyd in Dumb n Dumber...��.

What about Green Bay to host the draft?

Paully D wrote: »
    The playing surface in snow couldn't be much worse than the embarrassment of a farmer's field that is hosting it this year. That pitch is a disgrace.

Maybe but they have very nice corporate boxes though, and a great beer and food selection, and wifi and an app that lets you order food directly to your seat.

And they dug up kids soccer fields for car parking spaces. So the field might not be perfect and the sun might be too hot to actually watch games but other than that its a great stadium right in the middle of silicon valley.

Thanks JCTO, great to hear from someone who knows the issues on the ground...didn't know it was that near Chicago so again that's got me thinking...so there's a chance...maybe like Lloyd in Dumb n Dumber...��.

What about Green Bay to host the draft?

theres not they would put in in chicago as it has the bigger metropolitan area. also i can't imagine the draft going to a smaller city again its an advertisement and a town of 100000 aint gonna cut it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,899 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It's not suitable for a Superbowl for sure but it's a place I think every football fan should visit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

It can't anyway.

The city lacks things like sufficient parking and hotel rooms.
    Green Bay is pretty small, I think the stadium is the tallest building in the town.

Advertisement