Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German themed bar in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

micromary wrote: »
    See Pedro is back under a different name, replying to his own thread and giving us an answer that makes no sense whatsoever except to himself.

Not me either!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I still maintain German food sucks, there, elsewhere and here. You really should open your bar and then you would have something to worry (deeply) about!:p:D

Just goes to show your lack of depth of knowledge about the region's food to make such a sweeping statement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

duploelabs wrote: »
    Just goes to show your lack of depth of knowledge about the region's food to make such a sweeping statement

If you want to have a pop at me take it to PM but you really have no idea of my background or knowledge of food and Germany. A Hamburger has long ceased to be German, and the only other culinary delight to come from Germany – arguably - is marzipan, hardly an ideal accompaniment to beer! Have you ever tried drinking a decent wine (and Germany has some great ones) with rotkohl?

Other than the Hamburger, German food does not feature in the world’s “Top 50” dishes. While schinken mit kartofflen is fine for farmers with a stein of beer, fine dining it isn’t. FWIW, the best meal I had in Germany was in Bad Koningberg, the worst (many) in Sachsenhausen (Frankfort). When I ate in the Auberge de l’Ill at Illhausern their speciality at that time was crubeens, boned out, stuffed with a pork forcemeat, then egg-and-breadcrumbed and fried. Interesting, but still pigs feet.

Other than an opportunity to have a cheap shot at me I fail to see why you support a dreamer with no money, no backer and a daft idea. As I said earlier, if a German themed restaurant cannot survive in the Upper East Side of NYC (in an area known as ‘Germantown’ because of its Germanic ethnicity) I fail to see how one could survive in Dublin with a fraction of the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

We get it. You've eaten some German food. Get over it. Regurgitating the same ol' opinions you have about German cuisine ain't adding anything to the thread now.

@OP - I would certainly be of the opinion that this idea merits further investigation. Good German beers & food would be a winner if priced right & well located.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

If you want to have a pop at me take it to PM but you really have no idea of my background or knowledge of food and Germany. A Hamburger has long ceased to be German, and the only other culinary delight to come from Germany – arguably - is marzipan, hardly an ideal accompaniment to beer! Have you ever tried drinking a decent wine (and Germany has some great ones) with rotkohl?

Other than the Hamburger, German food does not feature in the world’s “Top 50” dishes. While schinken mit kartofflen is fine for farmers with a stein of beer, fine dining it isn’t. FWIW, the best meal I had in Germany was in Bad Koningberg, the worst (many) in Sachsenhausen (Frankfort). When I ate in the Auberge de l’Ill at Illhausern their speciality at that time was crubeens, boned out, stuffed with a pork forcemeat, then egg-and-breadcrumbed and fried. Interesting, but still pigs feet.

Other than an opportunity to have a cheap shot at me I fail to see why you support a dreamer with no money, no backer and a daft idea. As I said earlier, if a German themed restaurant cannot survive in the Upper East Side of NYC (in an area known as ‘Germantown’ because of its Germanic ethnicity) I fail to see how one could survive in Dublin with a fraction of the population.

In London there are 3 German themed bars within walking distance of each other so if the bar is done properly & has a decent location I cant see why it cant work in Dublin.
    You don't know whether the OP has no money or no backer & it is not a daft idea if done properly

• Advertisement

Little evidence of any great love for geman cuisine on here, but then again is an Entrepreneurial & Business Management forum the brightest spot to seek feedback/market research for such a topic?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,440 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Is the cost of beer here an issue? German bars tend to have an Oktoberfest style and sell by the litre. You'd probably be talking €11 per beer and the round system wouldn't work well.

Although some pubs in Germany, mainly in Bayern, sell the 1L mass of beer, the vast majority of beer sold in pubs there is served in 25cl, 40cl, or 50cl.

Help!!!! wrote: »
    You don't know whether the OP has no money or no backer & it is not a daft idea if done properly
    Go read the opening post - the OP's (by her own admission) key attributes are that she has worked in Germany as a student and speaks German. Never ran a bar, let alone a themed on. She also is looking for a partner. Really great start, that.

Elsewhere poor old Duplobricks gets into a tantrum and jumps up and down on a poor guy who is starting a hobby business with a cart (unlike micromary he has a fixed asset, well a mobile one;)) and a plan yet she and some of you get yer knickers in a twist to support a poster who has not even produced the most basic of detail / ideas for a business plan? A transition year student would do better! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Help!!!! wrote: »
    In London there are 3 German themed bars within walking distance of each other so if the bar is done properly & has a decent location I cant see why it cant work in Dublin.

London has four(?) times the population of the entire island of Ireland and is a bank sector hot spot, along with a close connection to Frankfurt. Its an entirely different market.

As I said, if someone has the money for such a venture, don't do it in Ireland. These type of things do VERY well in the Far East.

Go read the opening post - the OP's (by her own admission) key attributes are that she has worked in Germany as a student and speaks German. Never ran a bar, let alone a themed on. She also is looking for a partner. Really great start, that.

Elsewhere poor old Duplobricks gets into a tantrum and jumps up and down on a poor guy who is starting a hobby business with a cart (unlike micromary he has a fixed asset, well a mobile one;)) and a plan yet she and some of you get yer knickers in a twist to support a poster who has not even produced the most basic of detail / ideas for a business plan? A transition year student would do better! :rolleyes:

There's a difference between doing something illegal (as the hot dog stand dude was planning to do at the time) and doing something financially unsure. But well done for starting the name calling, big guy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RIALTO1

Been in this one in Liverpool. Good spot for a big match, on a busy weekend. As others have said, could do well with stags etc. Would imagine fairly quiet mid-week. Bit of a c*ck-fest as well.

http://thebierkeller.com/liverpool-bar/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭AlanG

ironclaw wrote: »
    London has four(?) times the population of the entire island of Ireland and is a bank sector hot spot, along with a close connection to Frankfurt. Its an entirely different market.

Madison, Wisconsin has about 250,000 and has four or five German pubs and restaurants all of which are among the busiest places in the city and really popular with the college students. Many have been going for years and have managed to sustain the business. There is easily a market if kept simple and done right. Most difficult part would be to stop people from stealing the fancy glasses which are an essential part of any German theme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Nope, I'm here under the same name and no other (Mods know the IP addys ;) . I also have a life, and as a person who has spent considerable time working in the Far East, (go look at some of my earlier posts on this forum) and one who lived in hotels for a long time due to my work, and even was on the board of one, I still maintain German food sucks, there, elsewhere and here. You really should open your bar and then you would have something to worry (deeply) about!:p:D
    If you are determined, and want to have half a chance, go study the menu (very good food) at the Auberge de l'Isle, (but that is Alsatian, not German!):D

You don't like German food, that doesn't make German food (from all regions) terrible. 80 million people are not eating the local quisine thinking "Oh god this is terrible"...

As for the OP, if you can get in some good German beer, not the exported crap, and sell it at a reasonable price.

The "oktoberfest" at the IFSC every year is a rip off, same goes for the "German Xmas markets", gluhwein is much and overpriced. Best of luck if you go ahead with it. I would go regularly if the beer was good, the pub wasn't dark and it's possible to talk to people.

Every great idea/venture has a beginning. I believe the only person not reading the OP in this thread is you. The OP mentions that she has the expertise, but you ignored that (Not only running resturaunts in Germany, but also in Ireland). Running a resturaunt is somewhat more difficult than running a bar/pub. OP also states that she has some money. Your posts are far from helpful, they are just condisending and only serve to knock somebody down before they are on their feet. Well done...

• Registered Users Posts: 10 pedroismyname

See Pedro is back under a different name, replying to his own thread and giving us an answer that makes no sense whatsoever except to himself.
    Nope, I'm here under the same name and no other (Mods know the IP addys ;)
    pedronomix wrote: »
    Not me either!

To the mods - and to micromary - I am not either of these users. I don't think there are any rules on slightly similar usernames? I am sure there are lots of Marys registered here.

As in good business, a bit of searching and researching can be most revealing. A posters historical posts often give much more insightful information than they may offer in an individual posting or query.

As in good business, a bit of searching and researching can be most revealing. A posters historical posts often give much more insightful information than they may offer in an individual posting or query.

Please, enlighten us with your findings, if you have any... :rolleyes:

Please, enlighten us with your findings, if you have any... :rolleyes:

Rule 2, do your own research...!

Rule 2, do your own research...!

Who are you even talking about? What has the OP's post history got to do with this thread? You're talking utter nonsense at this point and adding nothing helpful to the thread, what exactly is your point?

Who are you even talking about? What has the OP's post history got to do with this thread? You're talking utter nonsense at this point and adding nothing helpful to the thread, what exactly is your point?

If you review his posts, he loves to do this and got banned before for doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Look at Post 16 maybe it skipped your attention

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Folks - cut the nonsense.

This thread is going off track. Back seat modding and accusations being thrown about second accounts etc end now.

Anymore of it and expect a lengthy ban from the forum.

That goes for everyone!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 389 ✭✭micromary

Typical mod like Axwell. He is probably about the only person who cannot see the similarity. I know I will get banned by the State Police but this is ridiculous. I made a complaint about Pedro like a number of others who contacted me but do you think the mods replied. No and nothing has been done. However I get an infraction for saying it as it is. Nothing more to say

I think everybody has seen what I have written except for Mr Know it All himself. However he does not want to look back on my previous posts to see what I have wrote. By the way he goes on, he knows me, knows exactly how much I earn, how much I have saved in the bank, what car I drive and how many children I have. Thanks for letting me know Pedro! By the way as you are in Asia, why not fly over to the Bavarian restaurant in Columbo. It was doing great business the last time I was there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

I've been thinking the same thing except for a belgian style pub, a place for proper beer, none of this 4% pisswater that cretins drink.

Bye Mary.

Lost for words at this reply is all I can say.

pedroeibar1 banned for 1 week for ignoring your warning.

Typical mod like Axwell. He is probably about the only person who cannot see the similarity. I know I will get banned by the State Police but this is ridiculous. I made a complaint about Pedro like a number of others who contacted me but do you think the mods replied. No and nothing has been done. However I get an infraction for saying it as it is. Nothing more to say

Micromary - first off I received no complaint from you by pm or otherwise so that makes it difficult to reply to anything. What I did get was a rant from you this evening calling me "either stupid or blind". You received an infraction because you deserved one for your comments and behavior previously, and now you are receiving a ban for a week, because again you deserve one.

This is clearly still not a valid location to conduct a consumer survey on the prospects for drink/food culture venues.

As to the bans, the last bruhaha involving the OP (a language school if I remember correctly) ended similarly, hence my post history reference earlier.

I have an issue with the waffle associated with political correctness, daft notions need to be able to be disected and robustly challenged. Business is not nice and gentle, it is tough and very difficult, fairness is a stranger. This forum should seek to reflect the realities not the dreams.

• Advertisement

Business is not nice and gentle, it is tough and very difficult, fairness is a stranger. This forum should seek to reflect the realities not the dreams.

There is a line that gets crossed where a dose of reality becomes personal abuse, uncalled for and unhelpful comments and pointless bitching back and forth. Same applies on the other side where those being given the dose of reality don't take to it too well and resort to the same type of comments, bitching and personal abuse.

This isn't business, this is an online forum. As such it has rules and guidelines to be followed. When people can't follow the rules and act appropriately bans get handed out. That goes across the whole of boards and just because business is harsh doesn't give people the right to cross the line and get away with this kind of nonsense here where they wouldn't elsewhere on boards. If people don't like it they know where the door is.

Advertisement