Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German themed bar in Dublin

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dr strangelove

I've been thinking the same thing except for a belgian style pub, a place for proper beer, none of this 4% pisswater that cretins drink.

Wasn't there a Belgo's in Temple Bar a while back......actually a long while back?
    Was a great idea, and they had some great beers but just never seemed to take off.

But back on topic - i've been to Berlin loads of time so have a good idea of what a real German bar is like. And that's what i want, i don't want a German themed bar, with howayas in cheap drindles and Becks i want proper German beers - even a just a few on tap, and bottles of Berliner Kindl, 1312 and Astra.
    And good food too, sure German food is stodgy, but so what? Cook it properly and it can be great.

Also, no sports. i hate sports on TVs in bars.....

But that's just my 2c's worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

Axwell wrote: »
    This isn't business, this is an online forum. .

Pretty much sums it up......

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

pedronomix wrote: »
    Pretty much sums it up......

All it sums up is that you feel this is some stomping ground to dish out harsh realities to people looking to get into business. That it is ok to cross the line because you feel like it, and you use a comparison to business as a way to justify it. The reality is its not, it is an online forum where people come for advice and discussion. Where honest advice and feedback is welcome, constructive feedback and every now and then a dose of reality when given in the right manner. It will not become something else just to suit you or your attitude to business and how people coming on here looking for advice should be treated.

You and a few others have been given warning after warning, you walk the line on purpose pushing peoples buttons and justify it with your dose of reality spiel.

Mods don't have time to be dealing with the nonsense that surrounds you on here and the friction you bring the the forum. I already said end the nonsense and for the thread to get back on track and here you are still waffling on and giving your 2 cents on matters that are no concern of yours. You aren't a mod so previous post history and resulting bans, or the current bans are nothing to do with you. Its not up to you to decide whether this is a location to conduct a consumer survey or otherwise.

Its very simple, if you or others cant follow the rules then appropriate bans are given. At this point any warnings to people persistently involved in reported posts and issues have been lenient to the point where they will automatically be long term for ignoring previous warnings. If that's something you or others don't like you know where the door is.

End of discussion..

Back on topic...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Wasn't there a Belgo's in Temple Bar a while back......actually a long while back?
    Was a great idea, and they had some great beers but just never seemed to take off.

Belgos was fantastic, proper moule frites and a great selection of authentic Belgian beers. I'd say what caused it's demise was the rent involved (absolutely huge space in Temple bar) was huge, nor (even it was the late 90s) the Irish market wasn't used to the trappist beers.
    As a chef, food business owner, and someone who's travelled (and hence eaten) the world, despite what other posters attest, no regional food is inherently bad, it's just down to the chef who's cooked it. Culturally themed restaurants, or bars, do well. Otherwise the wool shed or captain America's would've bombed, let alone (and yes it's a tenuous link) Mac Donald or burger king

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

duploelabs wrote: »
    Belgos was fantastic, proper moule frites and a great selection of authentic Belgian beers. I'd say what caused it's demise was the rent involved (absolutely huge space in Temple bar) was huge, nor (even it was the late 90s) the Irish market wasn't used to the trappist beers.

History shows there were a few markets that weren't 'used to the trappist beers' having closed at least as many restaurants as it opened.

Dublin, Jersey, New York and at least 2 restaurants in London have all been shuttered with 5 outlets remaining in London

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Graham wrote: »
    History shows there were a few markets that weren't 'used to the trappist beers' having closed at least as many restaurants as it opened.

Dublin, Jersey, New York and at least 2 restaurants in London have all been shuttered with 5 outlets remaining in London

How do you mean? And by trappist, i mean a catch all for what could be termed alternative, non-diageo, craft beers

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

duploelabs wrote: »
    How do you mean?

I don't think Belgo flopped solely because of high rent and alternative beers.

As a branded restaurant concept it fell out of favour fairly quickly after the initial curiosity phase ended. High rent may have accelerated the demise but the truth is a popular branded restaurant should be able to sustain the high rent levels without too much strain.

It would be a really useful case study for the OP, try and work out where Belgo originally went wrong and what they've done to fix it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Help!!!! wrote: »
    In London there are 3 German themed bars within walking distance of each other so if the bar is done properly & has a decent location I cant see why it cant work in Dublin.
    You don't know whether the OP has no money or no backer & it is not a daft idea if done properly

In Dublin there are 2 Czech pubs within walking distance of each other. Theyve both been around for a good while and do grand because they do it properly, with authentic food and beer in each. Although in the case of the Czech Inn, the late bar probably helps matters.

I see no reason why a German pub wouldnt do well if done properly.

Advertisement