Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking those rose tinted glasses.

Options
  • 18-01-2016 3:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I got Final Fantasy 8 when it first came out, back in 99. I was 14 at the time.
    I loved it, and spent easily 100 hours on it, a year or 2 later I played through it again. I even bought the Strategy guide..the expensive one.
    Triple Triad, the new 'realistic' graphics compared to that of 7, 4 discs, a big epic story...I loved it.
    As such, it went into my mind as one of my favourite games ever and till this week I still thought of it as such.

However, I've put in 20-30 hours of FF8 again on STEAM , and well....it's ok. It's a good game but I don't know if it was rose tinted glasses or that it doesn't hold up....but it's not as great as I remember. Which is very disappointing for me :confused:....and hard to admit too.

I used to think Squall was cool and brooding......but he is just completely unrelatable as a character, in fact he is really really annoying, a complete emo....a fact that probably passed me by in my early teens as they weren't really around back then. Also some of the interactions and scenes between characters given certain situations are completely stupid and confusing.

I will play through the rest of the game, and hopefully enjoy it.
    I will then go through FF7 and FF9 when it comes out on STEAM...but I hope they don't give me the same feeling of 'it was all rose tinted glasses'.
    Don't get my wrong....I still like FF8. It's just not "one of the best games ever 10/10 " games....maybe a 7/10 or 8/10 :p

So has anyone had a similar experience with any of their beloved games ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I used to think Squall was cool and brooding......but he is just completely unrelatable as a character, in fact he is really really annoying, a complete emo....
    Same can be said about Cloud and Lightning and probably some other characters named after the weather that I've forgotten. Certain aspects of these games haven't aged very well, the junctioning system was bad and the incessant random battles (ff7 on ps4 even lets you turn them off) but it had some great moments, the reveal of Esther and catching Rinoa in space are the first that spring to mind. Haven't played it since 99 and although I thought it was amazing at the time, It would probably feel like a chore to play through now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

You could quite easily slot in most early entries of 3D console gaming here. Even such measuring sticks like Ocarina of Time on the N64 remain playable, yet can drag relative to modern gaming palates.

In a 2D example, Sonic CD sticks out to me. It's gained a hardcore audience, but its reputation as lost gem I feel is misplaced. Its place on the Sega CD and the fact it is an "original" 2D Sonic has seen its worth considerably inflated. It is a middling experience, with questionable level design and it is also pretty gimmick reliant with the poorly realized time travel mechanic, all said.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    You could quite easily slot in most early entries of 3D console gaming here. Even such measuring sticks like Ocarina of Time on the N64 remain playable, yet can drag relative to modern gaming palates.

In a 2D example, Sonic CD sticks out to me. It's gained a hardcore audience, but its reputation as lost gem I feel is misplaced. Its place on the Sega CD and the fact it is an "original" 2D Sonic has seen its worth considerably inflated. It is a middling experience, with questionable level design and it is also pretty gimmick reliant with the poorly realized time travel mechanic, all said.

I'm not comparing new games to older generations though. I understand some games still hold up and some don't. But personal favourite games....have there been any you revisited and though....awww...this isn't as good as I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

My rose tinted glasses were broken with regards to Final Fantasy 7 quite a number of years ago having replayed through a certain, Temple of the Ancients, section. Many, many moons ago when I was young whippersnapper enjoying this game for the first time, and the countless other times afterwards, I had no issues with this particular section of FF7.

However, one day when I was again replaying through it, I got to the Temple of the Ancients. This is by far the most tedious section of the game imo (followed closely by the Great Glacier). I don't know whether the game got me on a bad day, or it was simply out of pure frustration, but I just simply couldn't get past the TotA... And then a few days later after consulting the strategy guide (yeah I know) I finally got through, and then came to the Demons Gate boss. At this stage of the game I was actually quite under levelled,and again, frustrated in the numerous times I died trying to get past it.

I still shudder at the thought of that poxy Ancient and trying to chase him through the maze. Even now, I can imagine the haunting music.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Original FF8: Hey this is pretty cool.

Steam FF8: I don't have a facebook account so I cannot play.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The first person to mention A Link to the Past is getting sitebanned :o

• FF8 was the one Final Fantasy game I could for the life of me not get into or stick with it

Must have restarted the game multiple times and got to a certain points in the game and just lost interest

Hated the story / systems introduced

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Myrddin wrote: »
    The first person to mention A Link to the Past is getting sitebanned :o

Secret of Mana is better than A Link to the Past.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

All early 3D games don't hold up well.
    I can only think of a few examples that do, the most notable being Mario 64
    Goldeneye is absolute tripe if you go back and try play it now. Back then it was the best thing in the world.
    This is why I'm more inclined to play SNES and not N64 these days.... also that horrible joystick was horrible.
    2D was perfected to an Art by the time when Donkey Kong Country etc game out.
    3D was in an awkward, tentative steps phase during the PS1/2 and N64 era.

Also Generally Sonic games don't hold up well full stop as what we, as game fans, got out of them as games, is not longer go sufficient.
    "It's platforming.... but fast"..... ok? and?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Cormac... wrote: »
    Goldeneye is absolute tripe if you go back and try play it now. Back then it was the best thing in the world.

This seems to be a very popular thing to say. The aiming and gunplay overall is very dated... more so the flaws of the N64 gamepad for FPS are really obvious these days.

That said the level design and pacing of the game is still great especially compared to even modern console shooters (DOOM still beating the feck out of everything, though). There's lots of characters, it follows the movie better than any movie game I've ever played, huge selection of unlock-able characters for multilayer which was amazing as well. The music is unforgettable and still holds up today... atmospheric AF. That moment when you have to break out of the train is still very thrilling.

It's one of the top bond games and you have to judge it as a 007 game primarily I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think FF8 for me actually got better with age. When I first played it I absolutely hated the storyline but even worse was the battle system. Constantly summoning GFs all the time just got boring especially with the long load times and animations.

When I read up on the game and actually learned how it's meant to be played I went back to it and it was an absolute blast. The story is still absolute poison and the characters are complete fannies but breaking the game system once you understand it is so much fun. You don't need to ever use GFs. If you junction right then you can up your stats to stupid levels early in the game.

FF7 is the one that hasn't aged so gracefully. The midgar section is fantastic and there's nothing else like it in the genre outside of Parasite Even but once you leave Midgar for the most part it turns into a very average Dragon Quest clone and everything from the visuals and story are a mess due to the pressure to finish the game. Aged badly is a bit harsh though, more it's a bit disappointing it never continued with the same structure as in Midgar and fell back on old JRPG tropes, it's still a fun game despite it having one of the least interesting a boring FF battle systems. Just don't try to defend those awful minigames and chocobo racing.

I'll have to go back to FF9. I adored it at the time but I'm not sure how I'd deal with the awful load times now considering I had to stop playing Bloodborne at release they were so bad.

I think a lot of the PS1 and N64 games have really aged poorly due to poor frame rates and developers only just finding their feet at the time with 3D. Goldeneye is near unplayable and janky, Ocarina of Time for all it does well has an atrocious framerate and an incredibly janky engine, Tomb Raider games after the first lacks the cha and early Crash Bandicoot games have mostly dull level design since the graphical sheen has worn off.

I think it's healthy to be able to look back at games you used to love and accept and even discuss that maybe they aren't as good as you remember them.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭KenjiOdo

Championship Manager 2001-2002

Description
    In 2009, Eidos agreed to make the 'Championship Manager Season 2001/2002' game available to the public as a legally free download.

It is kept up to date by a hardcore modders, latest transfers/stats/league tables etc..

But just for the life of me couldn't finish one season...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Original FF8: Hey this is pretty cool.

Steam FF8: I don't have a facebook account so I cannot play.

I don't think I needed a facebook account to play. Don't think it's linked to it..Not 100%...but I never see any notifications either side (FB or Steam)

Turok 1 on the N64. Wasn't great then, is absolutely terrible now. They even ported to PC recently. Who the fcuk was asking that??

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭dohboy

Bought Crazy Taxi a while back. Don't buy Crazy Taxi.

dohboy wrote: »
    Bought Crazy Taxi a while back. Don't buy Crazy Taxi.

I discovered it a couple years ago. Legitimately, I cannot get enough of it. Offspring and Bad Religion can be pretty grating, and I write that as a fan of the latter.

To pile on the fifth gen again, the N64 THQ/AKI wrestling hold a fond place on gaming pedestals the world over, especially in multiplayer, but if you return to it today, be it a PAL or an NTSC copy, you'll discover a good idea, executed finely, but clunky and plodding to the point of tedium.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That said the level design and pacing of the game is still great especially compared to even modern console shooters (DOOM still beating the feck out of everything, though).

While Goldeneye has some legitimately great levels the vast majority are absolute howlers. The Tank level in particular is a lesson in how not to design a level. There's other factors as well that severely date it, such as the janky engine making stealth a bit glitch and the atroucious frame rate issues.

To pile on the fifth gen again, the N64 THQ/AKI wrestling hold a fond place on gaming pedestals the world over, especially in multiplayer, but if you return to it today, be it a PAL or an NTSC copy, you'll discover a good idea, executed finely, but clunky and plodding to the point of tedium.

Are you talking about the 2 WCWvsNWO games and Wresltemania 2000 and No-Mercy?

Are you talking about the 2 WCWvsNWO games and Wresltemania 2000 and No-Mercy?

Yes. Though, I understand there's an active modding community that make them more appeasing to current standards.

Yes. Though, I understand there's an active modding community that make them more appeasing to current standards.

Was about to say "No one speaks ill of No Mercy :mad::mad::mad::mad:"
    Than realised that's kind of the point of this thread I guess

• Advertisement

Was about to say "No one speaks ill of No Mercy :mad::mad::mad::mad:"
    Than realised that's kind of the point of this thread I guess

Yuke's Day of Reckoning games are pretty much that engine jigged about, spruced up and holds up a lot better, if it's any consolation. Lacks the whole customization of the N64 stuff, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Crash Bandicoot games have mostly dull level design since the graphical sheen has worn off.

I still replay the first 3 Crash Bandicoot games. Sure they're easy now but I still find them good fun. Same with the first Rayman game.

I'd love to play Res Evil 2 and 3 again but the poor graphics and awful clunky controls are terribly off putting.

Hated FF7 when it was released, never could get into it and as such never bothered with the franchise after it.

I think the first two crash bandicoot games are only alright but the third is fantastic. As for Crash Team Racing, it's good but not the god tier game some people make it out to be. There's better racers on PS1 and N64.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,588 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Thread was started discussing the Final Fantasy games, and that's my own experience right this minute: via a bout of nostalgia, I'm replaying Final Fantasy 6 (née 3) for the first time in more than a decade.

Frankly? While the core game itself is still lots of fun, it's hard to get past the utterly infantile dialogue (though understandable given the SNES' demographics back then), the frustration of progress halted by random encounters, and some sections that are just tedious in the extreme.

I also find old DOS games very hard to go back to, although often that's for more technical issues than ones of rose-tinted glasses. Upscaled DOS games reek havoc on my eyes, whether it's the low resolution, low framerates or whatever.

Played through Shadow Run again recently (Snes version) every bit as good as I remembered , that music still gave me goosebumps!!!!!!!!!

Also been playing Zombies Ate My Neighbours couch co-op with herself and having a blast with it,

On FF8 I went to it for the first time after having played and loved FF9, I hated it , just wasn't for me back then, be interesting to see what I thought of it now though.

Played through Shadow Run again recently (Snes version) every bit as good as I remembered , that music still gave me goosebumps!!!!!!!!!

Also been playing Zombies Ate My Neighbours couch co-op with herself and having a blast with it,

On FF8 I went to it for the first time after having played and loved FF9, I hated it , just wasn't for me back then, be interesting to see what I thought of it now though.

I found that too hard when I played a few years ago. I had no idea where to go or what to do. I got shot by some lads hanging out of windows.

Pretty much everything on N64 has dated horribly. Frame rates were absolutely shocking but I didn't know better at the time. I played Body Harvest not too long ago. It got average reviews at the time but I liked it. The controls were often obtuse and clunky; like you character was wading through an invisible sludge as you were walking everywhere, even worse than Dark Souls :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭lameusername

Playing ff9 at the mo. It's a welcome break after the utterly huge games of recent times. Enjoying how fantastic it seemed at the time. And 'kupo' sounds better when used like 'dude'. Rather than a weird vocal tick. I'm looking at you Mog.

Pretty much everything on N64 has dated horribly. Frame rates were absolutely shocking but I didn't know better at the time. I played Body Harvest not too long ago. It got average reviews at the time but I liked it. The controls were often obtuse and clunky; like you character was wading through an invisible sludge as you were walking everywhere, even worse than Dark Souls :pac:

The Nintendo developed games other than the two Zelda's seem to be the only ones that understood the importance of a good framerate. Starfox 64 and Mario 64 are still two of the best games on the system and it's no surprise they have the most stable framerates on the system.

• Advertisement

I found that too hard when I played a few years ago. I had no idea where to go or what to do. I got shot by some lads hanging out of windows.

Yeah the time it took me to work stuff out back in the day not just with that game but many others too was crazy, no hand holding or google to get an answer back then, at best you would hope for a guide in one of the magazines and read it in the shop to find out :p

Advertisement