Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overtime

Options
  • 18-01-2016 10:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭

Hi guys i am wondering how does overtime and the likes work ?. There last week i was told i had to work Saturday as we had to do major upgrades on IT stuff in the office and i ended up in for 4 hours and i have to work another 4 hours this weekend as well for the next major upgrade.

I emailed HR to find out how much extra do i get paid for the hours i was working ?. As my supervisor gets double time and extra time off and thats what i was thinking i was going to get myself.

But i got a reply back saying i am not getting paid for it at all and the company does not pay over time ?. While my contract says i will be paid overtime when needed ?.

So how do i do about this ?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭another36

Hi guys i am wondering how does overtime and the likes work ?. There last week i was told i had to work Saturday as we had to do major upgrades on IT stuff in the office and i ended up in for 4 hours and i have to work another 4 hours this weekend as well for the next major upgrade.

I emailed HR to find out how much extra do i get paid for the hours i was working ?. As my supervisor gets double time and extra time off and thats what i was thinking i was going to get myself.

But i got a reply back saying i am not getting paid for it at all and the company does not pay over time ?. While my contract says i will be paid overtime when needed ?.

So how do i do about this ?.

If your contract states you will be paid well just go back to HR and remind them of this.

I would also cc my supervisor if I were you.

I don't get paid overtime I get time off instead but that is clearly stated on my contract.

It's unusual that managers would get overtime they are normally fixed salary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Are you sure you supervisor/manager gets double time AND extra time off?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,969 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

bmwguy wrote: »

Ya - how do you know this?

Just because someone told you that s/he does, it doesn't necessarily make it true.

The correct question to ask HR is how you claim for the overtime that your manager asked you to work last Saturday and next. Most likely the answer will be that you have to have it authorised (of the official form) before hand. CC your manager.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

another36 wrote: »
    It's unusual that managers would get overtime they are normally fixed salary.
    bmwguy wrote: »
    This to be honest; it sounds like your supervisor was making a joke and you took it as being true; it's highly unlikely your Supervisor would get better OT terms than you.

Advertisement