Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estate agent doing an "inspection" in the apartment

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

Taboola wrote: »
    How much are you putting yourself out by letting them do an inspection?

Op seemed to suggest that they would have to take time off work to accommodate the inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭CaoimheSquee

Is there a receiver appointed OP?

Same thing happened to us last year and there was a receiver acting on behalf of the bank. The receiver also appointed a property manager (who was a local estate agent) who would be the contact for general things (repairs, queries etc).
    We said we would not allow any agents in to value until we had it in writing that they would guarantee our deposit.

The property manager came out first to do a general inspection and to explain we would pay rent to her for the receivers and to explain the process.

Once we then got in writing that the receivers would honour our deposit we said go ahead with estate agents coming in to value and i think two arrived that evening after work!

We luckily found somewhere else about 3 weeks later and receivers let us move on before the 3 months we had were up with no penalty. Tbh it suited them better to get it on the market quicker. We started the move out on a Thursday night and dropped the keys into them on the Monday or Tuesday and had our deposit within 24 hours.

All I can say is in my experience stand your ground but be fair, we were pleasantly surprised with the fairness we received in return. Know your rights too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ddartt

Is there a receiver appointed OP?

Same thing happened to us last year and there was a receiver acting on behalf of the bank. The receiver also appointed a property manager (who was a local estate agent) who would be the contact for general things (repairs, queries etc).
    We said we would not allow any agents in to value until we had it in writing that they would guarantee our deposit.

The property manager came out first to do a general inspection and to explain we would pay rent to her for the receivers and to explain the process.

Once we then got in writing that the receivers would honour our deposit we said go ahead with estate agents coming in to value and i think two arrived that evening after work!

We luckily found somewhere else about 3 weeks later and receivers let us move on before the 3 months we had were up with no penalty. Tbh it suited them better to get it on the market quicker. We started the move out on a Thursday night and dropped the keys into them on the Monday or Tuesday and had our deposit within 24 hours.

All I can say is in my experience stand your ground but be fair, we were pleasantly surprised with the fairness we received in return. Know your rights too!!

Thanks for sharing your experience, this is very helpful!

How did you get all this information, were you contacted by the bank/receiver or did the LL tell you so?

In my case, I don't have any information at all and LL doesn't provide me any info apart from the notice to terminate the tenancy and saying banks want to sell. That's all I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

ddartt wrote: »
    In my case, I don't have any information at all and LL doesn't provide me any info apart from the notice to terminate the tenancy and saying banks want to sell. That's all I know.
    Secure another place, and let tell the landlord that either she gives you back your deposit, and you go, or you'll sit tight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

You've been renting for 5 1/2 years

Have you considered purchasing the apartment?

If you were more amenable there may be an opportunity

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

my friend wrote: »
    You've been renting for 5 1/2 years

Have you considered purchasing the apartment?

If you were more amenable there may be an opportunity

The bank will sell it to the highest bidder, as it should do. Im sure the landlord has a mortgage to pay. If they are in negative equity, they will want to get as much as they can for the apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 kitkatman

the op is looking at this from a purely self interest perspective and you have been given some advice which you should heed.

the property you have been renting, is probably a buy to let that has gone horribly wrong for the owner, he/she could be in such a state of negative equity and repayment trouble that you doubling the rent would make no difference. the truth may be that the bank/lender will get their pound of flesh from this property and the longer you occupy it the greater the long term pain for the owner.

you have been given your notice and yes you can be as obstructive as you want over the next few weeks.........but my advice and I give it as a landlord is.....channel your energies into finding a new place to rent....if you plan to be awkward, remember you will have paid a deposit. I like many landlord takes an extensive portfolio of photos before I rent out, and after 5 years there is a strong possibility that you may have been responsibly for wear and tear....so you might find that you will not get all of your deposit back as the "then" and "now" photos may highlight a few issues you would prefer were blinded.

you have now received plenty of sound advice, take it.............unless of course you want some coon coming on and egging you on to be as obtrusive as possible....remember the coon will vanish into cyberspace, you will be facing the reality of such actions within weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Thanks for all the advises!

As a pure discussion point, I'm wondering why is not bothering to enter dialogue and sticking to the legal process to the letter of law from bank's side is called "doing their job", whilst me doing exactly the same is being described as "butting heads" and "being awkward"?

I'm guessing it would be because your contract (lease) is with the landlord and not with the bank so in their eyes they have no reason to enter dialogue with you. The landlord is their client in regards to their interests in the property so he will be the person they will deal with and not you.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭CaoimheSquee

Thanks for sharing your experience, this is very helpful!

How did you get all this information, were you contacted by the bank/receiver or did the LL tell you so?

Oh the landlord went quiet really. They are in financial trouble and have their own troubles and worries. We fell quite low on priorities!
    It was the receiver that gave us all the information really. Some receivers don't appear to know the law though at all though (giving week notices to families and other such madness) and have been known to give completely incorrect information. So I would do your own research here, on the citizens advice form and with threshold.
    Main thing is to know your legal period of notice, nail down your deposit and just start looking. Get out when you can as if the bank own it now it will never be anything you can even consider a home!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Dont make a mountain out of a molehill. Don't sweat the small stuff. Why agitate on the reason why the banks are bastards and get away with it.... But you do the same thing and you don't get away with it.

The truth is that everyone hates the banks. Wanna be like a bank? Why not just be nice to the poor fella that comes over to do the inspection. It might come back to you some day. Karma and that stuff, yeah?

• Advertisement

Because I'm still paying the rent to live there, and I'd like to live undisturbed in this place rather than living in an open house and taking time off work to facilitate their preparation for sale?

There is no need to take time off of be disrupted. Just give them a spare key and let them do their inspections and viewing while you are at work.

Friend of mine is living in a house that's being sold and just have them a key and asked them that if at all possible to do viewing during the day while he is at work and that's what they have done for the most part. They text to say they will be coming and at what time as a courtesy but he is never there. I suppose the main difference is that the property is most likely being sold to an investor and he is hoping to be kept on as a tenant so is really try to come across as a model tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

my understanding was that "inspection" means the landlord/agent can check the condition of the property to ensure no damage is done during the lease, its not intended for the estate agent to prepare the property for sale.
    Cooperation works both ways; they may take their time returning the deposit... or not return the deposit at all, as they may not have it. Cooperate, and they may allow you to cut your lease short if you find a place, and they give you your deposit when you leave.

Advertisement