Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading to Xbox One

Options
  • 18-01-2016 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭

Hey peeps,

I'm wondering if you can give me some advice.

I am soon to upgrade from my Xbox 360 to an Xbox One.

I am going to give my daughter (who doesn't live with me for what it's worth) the Xbox 360.

I've had my 360 for about 10 years, with the one gamertag which foolishly, I let her play all her games under too. So all of her game saves, Minecraft etc, are under my profile.

Also, all the add-ons and downloaded games were done under my profile.

So, I'm wondering, should I just pass the whole lot over to her, profile and all (and let her rename the gamertag to something she wants) and start a new life for myself on the Xbox One

OR

Keep my profile and go down the road of trying to transfer game saves to another profile (seen a few vids on how to do this)..... What about the downloaded games and add-ons? Are they profile related or is the licence on the Xbox 360?

Really appreciate any advice you guys may have :)

Cheers!

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,293 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

WarpAsylum wrote: »
    Hey peeps,

I'm wondering if you can give me some advice.

I am soon to upgrade from my Xbox 360 to an Xbox One.

I am going to give my daughter (who doesn't live with me for what it's worth) the Xbox 360.

I've had my 360 for about 10 years, with the one gamertag which foolishly, I let her play all her games under too. So all of her game saves, Minecraft etc, are under my profile.

Also, all the add-ons and downloaded games were done under my profile.

So, I'm wondering, should I just pass the whole lot over to her, profile and all (and let her rename the gamertag to something she wants) and start a new life for myself on the Xbox One

OR

Keep my profile and go down the road of trying to transfer game saves to another profile (seen a few vids on how to do this)..... What about the downloaded games and add-ons? Are they profile related or is the licence on the Xbox 360?

Really appreciate any advice you guys may have :)

Cheers!

I would say do nothing, her using the profile on a 360 won't interfere with you on an Xbox One. Just come to an agreement over buying stuff through the xbox live store. That way you'll have any digital games that are backwards compatible on the xbox one.

Alternatively you could set the current profile as the home profile on the xbox one, that way you can make a new profile for yourself but still have access to any backwards compatible games on your old profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭WarpAsylum

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I would say do nothing, her using the profile on a 360 won't interfere with you on an Xbox One. Just come to an agreement over buying stuff through the xbox live store. That way you'll have any digital games that are backwards compatible on the xbox one.

Alternatively you could set the current profile as the home profile on the xbox one, that way you can make a new profile for yourself but still have access to any backwards compatible games on your old profile.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, Mickeroo.

Ok, so the current profile could be active online in both locations at the same time?

The thing is, I'm not too worried about keeping my content that's on the 360.

The HDD failed not too long ago (120 odd hours into Dark Souls fighting Gwyn, I'm not messing) so the majority of the stuff on it is hers.

She's only 9, so I don't think she needs a Live account, but I just want her to be able to access everything on the 360 freely, and still be able to get updates, and buy skin packs for Minecraft etc - which I don't mind paying for - and she knows I get an email confirmation for every purchase ha ha

But I guess she'd get a kick out of it really being hers, with her own profile, ya know?

So that's why I'm wondering if I should just hand to profile over to her and let her rename it, or try to transfer saves etc to a new profile.

If I was to give her the profile, would I have difficulty setting up another account considering email address, credit card etc are all associated with the current one?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,293 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

WarpAsylum wrote: »
    Thanks for taking the time to reply, Mickeroo.

Ok, so the current profile could be active online in both locations at the same time?

The thing is, I'm not too worried about keeping my content that's on the 360.

The HDD failed not too long ago (120 odd hours into Dark Souls fighting Gwyn, I'm not messing) so the majority of the stuff on it is hers.

She's only 9, so I don't think she needs a Live account, but I just want her to be able to access everything on the 360 freely, and still be able to get updates, and buy skin packs for Minecraft etc - which I don't mind paying for - and she knows I get an email confirmation for every purchase ha ha

But I guess she'd get a kick out of it really being hers, with her own profile, ya know?

So that's why I'm wondering if I should just hand to profile over to her and let her rename it, or try to transfer saves etc to a new profile.

If I was to give her the profile, would I have difficulty setting up another account considering email address, credit card etc are all associated with the current one?

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you again, the site has been a disaster the last week or so.

Yes the current profile could be active online in both locations with no issues, while I game on my Xbox One my girlfriend is usually downstairs logged in as me on the 360 watching Netflix for example.

There shouldn't be any issues setting up another account either, I'm not sure of the ins and outs regarding email and that though. I imagine having the same credit card on both is fine. (maybe someone with moe experience of this can chime in here)

If you want to save on the Gold subcription I still think it's a good idea to make the Xbox One your current account's "home xbox", that way you can use the gold subscription for your new account without having to buy 2 separate subscriptions. Once it's set up that way you will never have to log into that account on the xbox one again.

I've no idea about transferring saves or anything like that though.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Sorry for taking so long to get back to you again, the site has been a disaster the last week or so.

Yes the current profile could be active online in both locations with no issues, while I game on my Xbox One my girlfriend is usually downstairs logged in as me on the 360 watching Netflix for example.

There shouldn't be any issues setting up another account either, I'm not sure of the ins and outs regarding email and that though. I imagine having the same credit card on both is fine. (maybe someone with moe experience of this can chime in here)

If you want to save on the Gold subcription I still think it's a good idea to make the Xbox One your current account's "home xbox", that way you can use the gold subscription for your new account without having to buy 2 separate subscriptions. Once it's set up that way you will never have to log into that account on the xbox one again.

I've no idea about transferring saves or anything like that though.

Cool, thanks for that extra info man. That all seems grand, that's what I'll do so :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It's probably a situation little different from a lot of people who own a 360 and an Xbox1, with the same account running, simultaneously, on both.
    The only thing you could do is use the parental locks on the 360 and chose off purchases for your daughter there.
    Sorry if I'm repeating what's already been said!

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    It's probably a situation little different from a lot of people who own a 360 and an Xbox1, with the same account running, simultaneously, on both.
    The only thing you could do is use the parental locks on the 360 and chose off purchases for your daughter there.
    Sorry if I'm repeating what's already been said!
    No, no, I appreciate it. I've a better handle on how to move forward with this.

Thanks for all the help!!!

Advertisement