Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting into clay shooting

• 18-01-2016 1:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 388 ✭✭

Just lookin for people's taughts and advice on getting into competitive clay shooting. I'm not a novice Ive shot clays at different times for charity and at birr fair and the likes. I rough shoot all winter and shoot pigeons and crows etc. I'm retired from the good old gaa now so have time to go at clays, what kind of time/ money do lads use practicing, how often are shoots on? I've two guns a double barrel trap gun fixed choke and a semi auto multi choke, am I right in thinking semi autos are a no no on clay grounds?all info greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Stonehall9 wrote: »
    Just lookin for people's taughts and advice on getting into competitive clay shooting. I'm not a novice Ive shot clays at different times for charity and at birr fair and the likes. I rough shoot all winter and shoot pigeons and crows etc. I'm retired from the good old gaa now so have time to go at clays, what kind of time/ money do lads use practicing, how often are shoots on? I've two guns a double barrel trap gun fixed choke and a semi auto multi choke, am I right in thinking semi autos are a no no on clay grounds?all info greatly appreciated. Thanks

Where are you based ?
    A lot of lads try get in a 50 bird once a week. D ponds on your pocket and how serious you want to get.
    Here is a link to clay sports Ireland, they hold shoots on a regular basis
    http://claysportsirl.ie
    There is no problem with semi's at clay grounds. That's one of those urban myth stories that keeps popping up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 388 ✭✭Stonehall9

homerhop wrote: »
    Where are you based ?
    A lot of lads try get in a 50 bird once a week. D ponds on your pocket and how serious you want to get.
    Here is a link to clay sports Ireland, they hold shoots on a regular basis
    http://claysportsirl.ie
    There is no problem with semi's at clay grounds. That's one of those urban myth stories that keeps popping up.
    I'm in limerick, glad to hear semis are ok, mine is a browning sporting clays model with multi chokes so it would be more ideal than the fixed choke I'd imagine, do you need to buy a clay competition liscence or anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Lazydog in limerick might be of interest to you. Ray is the owner, worth giving him a shout.
    http://www.lazydogshooting.ie/

homerhop wrote: »
    Lazydog in limerick might be of interest to you. Ray is the owner, worth giving him a shout.
    http://www.lazydogshooting.ie/

I know ray Sampson , I hurled again him a few times so I must give a shout there, opposite side of the county for continuous visits but it's worth a run up there for a look anyway . Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Check out the website as suggested, especially if your interested in competitions.
    I'm a bit out of touch but there are a few details such as specific insurance for various organizations (although I think this may have changed) or single day cover was the norm for these events. Certain leagues / competitions require registered teams/squads.
    There can be dress/safety codes for grounds and leagues ie no combats, the use of safety glasses etc, portage of firearms and the restrictions on cartridge type.
    Your O/U trap gun is ideal for down the line, especially if it's choked for Mod and Full. A high comb is perfect for the job.
    I shoot sporting with a semi choked with IC which is good enough for most sporting layouts with the exception of high bird or long secound barrels.

I used to shoot a round of clays every week a good few years back but my hunting has taking priority, but at the time I bought my trap cartridges by the 1,000 and would roughly get 10 - 12 weeks out of it. For a few chaps I know who shoot competitively this figure wouldn't last spitting time. As a small private club we bought into clays buying pallets every 6-8 months so there was no weekly charge for them. It can be expensive compared to game shooting, with the exception of pigeon decoying.
    From what I see from the competitive shooters I know you need a lot range time, lads like me count their hits for scoring, while they count their misses as its easier because thier're talking about dropping only a handful of shots if that.

Any way as you know competition or for the crack it's addictive.

• Advertisement

Check out the website as suggested, especially if your interested in competitions.
    I'm a bit out of touch but there are a few details such as specific insurance for various organizations (although I think this may have changed) or single day cover was the norm for these events. Certain leagues / competitions require registered teams/squads.
    There can be dress/safety codes for grounds and leagues ie no combats, the use of safety glasses etc, portage of firearms and the restrictions on cartridge type.
    Your O/U trap gun is ideal for down the line, especially if it's choked for Mod and Full. A high comb is perfect for the job.
    I shoot sporting with a semi choked with IC which is good enough for most sporting layouts with the exception of high bird or long secound barrels.

I used to shoot a round of clays every week a good few years back but my hunting has taking priority, but at the time I bought my trap cartridges by the 1,000 and would roughly get 10 - 12 weeks out of it. For a few chaps I know who shoot competitively this figure wouldn't last spitting time. As a small private club we bought into clays buying pallets every 6-8 months so there was no weekly charge for them. It can be expensive compared to game shooting, with the exception of pigeon decoying.
    From what I see from the competitive shooters I know you need a lot range time, lads like me count their hits for scoring, while they count their misses as its easier because thier're talking about dropping only a handful of shots if that.

Any way as you know competition or for the crack it's addictive.

Sound for that bit of info, that is the bit I'm worried about, it's addictive enough once you get into it I'd reckon, like in birr I'd have stayed all day trying to better my score there this year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭denismac

If you're looking for some shooting nearer the city Cratloe Gun Club have a new clay pigeon ground opened in the last few months. It's up near the golf ball on top of Gallows Hill. Every Sunday 11am - 2pm.

denismac wrote: »
    If you're looking for some shooting nearer the city Cratloe Gun Club have a new clay pigeon ground opened in the last few months. It's up near the golf ball on top of Gallows Hill. Every Sunday 11am - 2pm.
    Thanks for that , that's good to hear and not that far from me, what kind of a set up is it? It's not just for cratloe members is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭denismac

Stonehall9 wrote: »
    Thanks for that , that's good to hear and not that far from me, what kind of a set up is it? It's not just for cratloe members is it?

No its not just for members. It is actually a separate club from the gun club although many are members of both, but you can go there as a casual shooter. It's €15 for 50 birds. There are at least 5 stands usually that are varied each week. Its more of a practice ground yet but its still in development. I visit there myself when I can.

denismac wrote: »
    No its not just for members. It is actually a separate club from the gun club although many are members of both, but you can go there as a casual shooter. It's €15 for 50 birds. There are at least 5 stands usually that are varied each week. Its more of a practice ground yet but its still in development. I visit there myself when I can.

Great stuff it sounds very reasonable , I will check it out once the 31st is over.thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement