Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dwarf Hamsters

• 18-01-2016 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

My partner and I are looking into possibly getting a small pet.

We would like to get two and we're really looking into dwarf hamsters. We want to be able to handle them a lot and be able to tame them.

Is there a specific breed of dwarf hamster that would be best for us?

Will two live happily together?

Any advice for some new hammy owners?
    I've owned guinea pigs and a Syrian hamster before and two Roborvski dwarf hamsters (separate) and were way too wild (or unhandled) for us to tame :(
    So I want to do this right this time!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Aragneer wrote: »
    We would like to get two and we're really looking into dwarf hamsters. We want to be able to handle them a lot and be able to tame them.

Is there a specific breed of dwarf hamster that would be best for us?

I commend you on your research- often folks just buy hamsters without any real research and it goes tits up.

Firstly, if you want to tame and handle them a lot, dwarves are not the way to go. they are fast, and hard to tame. They're awesome to sit and watch, but that's not what you want.
    Will two live happily together?

Yes, dwarves are better with company. Syrians MUST love alone.
    I've owned guinea pigs and a Syrian hamster before and two Roborvski dwarf hamsters (separate) and were way too wild (or unhandled) for us to tame :(
    So I want to do this right this time!

If you had a Syrian that was too hard to tame then one of two things happened;

1) Most syrians are lovely, but occasionally, genetics turns out a mean or moody hammie, just like it does with humans. I've had four hamsters in my life and their personalities were all massively different. None of them were moody, per se, but you have to be aware that all animals have personalities.

2) You didn't try hard enough.I don't say this to be horrible, but taming a hamster takes time and effort. Most will be really jumpy and nervous when they arrive- all they've know is a pet shop where they weren't handled that much, probably, and now they're in this mad place with weird people they don't know. Of course they will try to run away, or bite. You'd do the same. It's tempting then to just stop trying because it seems like you're getting nowhere.

The best way to tame a hamster is to take your time, and leave them for a day or two completely by themselves intheir new cage. Let them get set up the way they want. Talk to them as you pass by, but don't try and pick them up. Then gradually introduce your hand for a few seconds at a time. Maybe put something that smells like you in the cage. Get them used to your smell, and try stroking them gently. Don't pick them up from above- it scares them because it's like a flying predator coming to life them up.

After about a week, take them out of the cage and get in the bath with them, (dry and clothed, obviously!). They will have no choice but to walk over you in there. Keep doing that and honestly, with time and patience you'll most likely have a lovely tame hamster. When i got Isabella she was 6 months old and was never handled in the shop because she was a "biter". We took our time with her and within a month she was hanging out with me on the couch. I could walk around the house with her on my shoulder. Twitch wasn't hugely keen on being handled, but he was ok with it. But that's personalities for you. You might just not get a hamster that likes it, and you need to be aware of that going in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

Thank you! I have had different types of animals all my life and I would never rush into buying one without knowing that I could give it the proper care so thank you for that :)

You say that dwarves cannot be handled? I've read and spoke to people who said there are certain breeds of dwarf hamsters that are fine with being handled but I think it's different breeds of the dwarf that this changes in maybe?

Also, sorry for the confusion but it wasn't the Syrian that was hard to tame. He was actually the loveliest hamster ever called Sherbert. It was our two Roborvski dwarf hamsters, which I found out lately are the type of dwarf hamster that are difficult to tame (These were owned by my sister and I when we were both young teenagers so we just liked to look at them a lot!)

As these hamsters would be my partner and my first pet (it's kind of like the first step before going a little bigger - especially as we're getting our own place), I would like a hammie that would be quite friendly.

I love the bath idea! That's very clever, definitely will be thinking of that if we go ahead with getting a hammy inhabitant :)

Would pet shops be good at knowing their hamster's personalities? As in - knowing if they are fine to be handled or not? I went to one the other day just to have a look and the woman had no clue what she was saying. She told me hammy's (dwarf hamsters) cannot live together as they'll fight (when it said on the label on their cage that they are preferable in pairs) and then she started talking about Guinea pigs (as we were looking into piggies as well (it's one or the other really) with very untrue comments as I have owned guinea pigs since I was 9 and currently have 6 of them...
    So I am quite weary of a pet shop.
    Of course, if we get hammies, we will be taking them to the vet right away to make sure they were properly sexed and are in good health.

I'm just kinda needing behaviour tips, especially with handling and having two (I really don't want fighting hammies on my hands haha).

Thanks so much for all your advice :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

You say that dwarves cannot be handled? I've read and spoke to people who said there are certain breeds of dwarf hamsters that are fine with being handled but I think it's different breeds of the dwarf that this changes in maybe?

My apologies, you're correct. I just know from handling dwarves myself that they are so fast, it's not that they're flighty or running away, they're just so darn fast! Maybe "harder" to handle might've been correct. I've never actually had dwarves myself, but having researched them I ruled them out, because I wanted the same things you did- a pet that I could handle and really interract with.

Would pet shops be good at knowing their hamster's personalities? As in - knowing if they are fine to be handled or not? I went to one the other day just to have a look and the woman had no clue what she was saying. She told me hammy's (dwarf hamsters) cannot live together as they'll fight (when it said on the label on their cage that they are preferable in pairs) and then she started talking about Guinea pigs (as we were looking into piggies as well (it's one or the other really) with very untrue comments as I have owned guinea pigs since I was 9 and currently have 6 of them...
    So I am quite weary of a pet shop.

It really depends on the pet shop. Lots haven't a clue, but there are a couple that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend for small furries, based in Dublin. In particular Shaunas pet shop Capel St is great. They have 2 breeders they get their supply from, and who have been breeding for them for a few years now. They keep their animals very well and handle them regularly before they find homes. Shauna has refused to sell animals to people who come in without knowing what they are getting in to, so I have good confidence in her.

Thank you so much for your advice and the recommendation of the pet shop in Dublin! We're based in Limerick at the moment so we're looking around at pet shops that we can find until we find the right one!
    Update on our quest though is that we got a suitable apartment and found the perfect little spot for the hammies, where they can see us come home in the evening and can get used to the idea of humans sharing their space. We also found them a suitable cage (wire cage - don't know if glass may be better though..) which comes with a hefty amount of goodies for the little ones.

I've also downloaded books and found some great blogs and websites to always keep me updated on hammie knowledge, including an intensive feeding list.

So in a month or a few weeks, we're hoping to finally find our hammies - a little more research needs to be done. I want to find out health issues, an estimate of vet costs if anything were to happen (touch wood) and a few general handling tips.

So thank you so much for your advice!

Thank you so much for your advice and the recommendation of the pet shop in Dublin! We're based in Limerick at the moment so we're looking around at pet shops that we can find until we find the right one!
    Update on our quest though is that we got a suitable apartment and found the perfect little spot for the hammies, where they can see us come home in the evening and can get used to the idea of humans sharing their space. We also found them a suitable cage (wire cage - don't know if glass may be better though..) which comes with a hefty amount of goodies for the little ones.

I've also downloaded books and found some great blogs and websites to always keep me updated on hammie knowledge, including an intensive feeding list.

So in a month or a few weeks, we're hoping to finally find our hammies - a little more research needs to be done. I want to find out health issues, an estimate of vet costs if anything were to happen (touch wood) and a few general handling tips.

So thank you so much for your advice!

• Advertisement
Advertisement