Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Boards outage megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭ofcork

Apparently alot of government websites cso etc were hit today along with the lottery on wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

syklops wrote: »
    Isis? :rolleyes:
    Isn't isn't!

syklops wrote: »
    Isis? :rolleyes:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IS-IS

Yep! get this wrong and no traffic gets through. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Sun King

ScumLord wrote: »
    That's intolerable, it's basically the same thing as living in N.Korea.

I can't see where any of the criticism about the boards mods come from myself. Others might glean something from such a reply though.

A real headscratcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

ScumLord wrote: »
    That's intolerable, it's basically the same thing as living in N.Korea.

So N Korea isn't so bad then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

FatherTed wrote: »
    So N Korea isn't so bad then?

Mad, Ted, isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

I wandered into Reddit during the outage and found an Ireland forum apparently peopled by ex Boardsies gloating over the DDOS. I've skipped Reddit for a while because it's mostly recycled Imgur and I get my gif and cat fix there anymore. But to see a bunch of people gloating over an attack on a discussion forum struck me as despicable. Boards has its own rules but you can say a great deal within the limits of civility; celebrating an attack on that is celebrating silencing comment and discussion, it's celebrating the dictatorship of the computer hacker. Fcuk them all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

The captcha thing is proving to be a bit of a disaster for me. Every browser other than chrome on my phone can't pass it. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Everything is still loading very slowly for me. I think I'll be staying away for a week or two until things are properly sorted out. :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I've been lucky enough, no issues with login(though I never logged out) or captcha fields coming up, but it's running with a 15-30 second delay with every click. It's gotten faster, but it's frustrating at times. It must be tearing out hair time frustration if you've login issues on top of that.

It seems to be worse on mobile, or have I got that wrong? I never browse the mobile site. Can't abide it(I'm old), so I don't know.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Wibbs wrote: »
    I've been lucky enough, no issues with login(though I never logged out) or captcha fields coming up, but it's running with a 15-30 second delay with every click. It's gotten faster, but it's frustrating at times. It must be tearing out hair time frustration if you've login issues on top of that.

It seems to be worse on mobile, or have I got that wrong? I never browse the mobile site. Can't abide it(I'm old), so I don't know.

It works on the mobile, just very slow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Yep, touch. is about 20-30 seconds a page and the main site is 10-15 seconds per page for me.

I'm pretty much only posting in a few of my regular threads, finding it hard to mod and a pain to even browse. It is a pain but I'm sure it will be or is being worked on

Pretty sure the DDoS is ongoing so in time it should get back to normal, hopefully :)

Yep, touch. is about 20-30 seconds a page and the main site is 10-15 seconds per page for me.

I'm pretty much only posting in a few of my regular threads, finding it hard to mod and a pain to even browse. It is a pain but I'm sure it will be or is being worked on

Pretty sure the DDoS is ongoing so in time it should get back to normal, hopefully :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Still very slow for me. And my followwd threads and posts are all gone. Hopefully sorted soon. Good luck team boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

That Reddit thread about Boards is a fantastic read though.

Patww79 wrote: »
    That's a bit OTT Helen Lovejoy. It's not as if they're dancing around a corpse or anything.

Name calling? Really? And the only reason some of them aren't dancing around a corpse is that the attack failed. Posts like yours that seek to trivialize things like a DDOS attack on a discussion forum are irresponsible in that they promote a culture of silencing discussion or seeing damage to the Internet as being of no great consequence. Time I checked out Imgur: I can see Reddit before Reddit even knows.

Patww79 wrote: »
    An internet forum which promotes civil discussion of a whole range of issues was blocked deliberately by a co-ordinated attack andstopped working for a few days.and resumed only after a lot of extra and probably expensive work was undertaken

FYP. The difference reveal the trivialization your post promoted.

• Advertisement

Lads, give it a rest. Take it to PM if you want to continue whatever it is ye are at.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I wonder what the boards.ie user / webpage impression etc... stats are like post attack.
    Could take some time for same numbers to get back up?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Double posts everywhere, across all forums

• Registered Users Posts: 10,350 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

On Touch, when I click onto the next page it brings me to the bottom of the page so I have to scroll up to read it.
    Then when I go back, a lot of the time it jumps back two pages. It can get very confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

That horrible feeling when you go to boards, its down, and you think to yourself I'll ask in boards is boards down, then you realise.

I've not really noticed any significant slowdown, but then again I have a crap internet connection so it's always slow.

Welcome to my world! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Style sheets appear to be missing/awol, back to text mode here. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

So is this the way its to be from now on ?

really slow and no search function ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

So is this the way its to be from now on ?

really slow and no search function ?

Advertisement