Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Phone Bill Pay Contract

Options
  • 18-01-2016 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Should a mobile phone bill contract have an expiry date on it or clearly state the term of the contract?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

If you signed a physical copy of a contract then it should have the date you signed along with the contract length. You may have signed up a different way. You can contact your mobile operator and ask them when your contract expires.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 ropg

Thanks. In dispute with a phone company (dont want to say name) over a contract length. Has the date it was signed but no expiry date or term as such mentioned on it. It does say the contract is for a min term of 12 months unless otherwise stated beside the price plan name which it doesnt state otherwise. Underneath price plan name is a heading promotions and it states 12 months unlimited calls and text.
    To me its a 12 month contract but they say its 24 month.

Ask them for proof that you signed up for a term longer than agreed. If you did, they should be able to provide proof of this.

Went into store where purchase was made like customer service asked but got no where. Couldn't find me on system since account is closed. Staff adamant that its either a 18 or 24 month contract but could not offer any proof of what was sold. I'm still 100% sure it was a 12 month contract as I vaguely remember an offer when I bought that was 12 months if you moved your number over. Next step I suppose would be to write to them.

You should get in contact with Comreg. Explain the situation and the steps you have taken to resolve it. They will open up an incident on your behalf and make the company involved deal with you.

If they cannot provide proof of the contract length then you will be more than likely be allowed cancel without penalty.

• Advertisement

<EDIT>

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

You should get in contact with Comreg. Explain the situation and the steps you have taken to resolve it. They will open up an incident on your behalf and make the company involved deal with you.

If they cannot provide proof of the contract length then you will be more than likely be allowed cancel without penalty.

You have to make an official complaint to the providor before Comreg will follow up iirc.

You have to make an official complaint to the providor before Comreg will follow up iirc.

Yes, you are right. Completely forgot that an official complaint must be lodged first before they can look into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

ropg wrote: »
    Went into store where purchase was made like customer service asked but got no where. Couldn't find me on system since account is closed. Staff adamant that its either a 18 or 24 month contract but could not offer any proof of what was sold. I'm still 100% sure it was a 12 month contract as I vaguely remember an offer when I bought that was 12 months if you moved your number over. Next step I suppose would be to write to them.

I'm confused. What is the issue if the account is closed?

The issue is as far I was concerned I entered into a 12 month contract, 12 months ended and I moved number to new network. Now old network is trying to charge me an early cease fee as they say its a 24 month contract on their system.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

The issue is as far I was concerned I entered into a 12 month contract, 12 months ended and I moved number to new network. Now old network is trying to charge me an early cease fee as they say its a 24 month contract on their system.

Did you get an upgraded phone when you last renewed and how much did you pay for it? The price you pay for the upgrade is linked to the contract duration eg free upgraded phone if you sign up for 2 years or €200 if you sign up for 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

12 month contracts have not existed in a long time,except three are doing them now again so i would say you entered a 24 month contract without realising it

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

jimmynokia wrote: »
    12 month contracts have not existed in a long time,except three are doing them now again so i would say you entered a 24 month contract without realising it

Providers are obligated to offer a 12 month contract option under comreg regulations, what that option is, is up to them, but there are still 12 month contracts out there.

As for the issue at hand, make an access request for all data held on you under the Data Protection act, they must provide the data to you within 40 days. So if you make a request and specify that you want all data pertaining to your contract length they are obliged to provide it. If they are unable to provide evidence of a 24 month contract and still refuse to budge then take this info to Comreg.

I'm going to take a guess here and say this issue is with Three?

Feel free to PM me if you need any advice on what actions to take as this is an area i work in.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,182 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Time wrote: »

I'm going to take a guess here and say this issue is with Three?

Not necessarily, Jimmynokia just came out with it.

Advertisement