Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Employers and Public liability insurance query

• 18-01-2016 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

First time getting this. I have a small landscaping business with one employee. Just wondering who does a good deal? And can you insure a truck under this insurance or is it still separate commercial insurance and if so would they do a deal if you got both public liability and commercial insurances with them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Go to any broker. You won't find an insurer directly who will do it . And no one will do the motor on the same policy. Fbd used to .

No benefit to the two policies with one insurer. They view as two different profit centres and won't discount one for the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Arachas Insurance might be a good option for the liability

http://www.arachas.ie/contractors/building.html

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

peteb2 wrote: »
    You won't find an insurer directly who will do it.

No benefit to the two policies with one insurer. They view as two different profit centres and won't discount one for the other.

FBD will quote direct through one of their local branches. Aviva (online, local branches), AIG, Liberty etc have an online presence and will deal directly. The direct channels are generally more profitable for insurance companies.

Some insurers may offer small discounts (10%) if you are a commercial client (have multiple policies i.e. a combined liability and motor policy)
    Fbd used to .

FBD never did either. Motor policies are treated different due to EU directives.

If it is a small business you own FBD and Aviva can be pretty competitive. I would advise to ring around brokers (Like Arachas above - there are dozens based all over the country) and also get quotes direct online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

big syke wrote: »
    FBD never did either. Motor policies are treated different due to EU directives.

FBD did do it, in a fashion. If you did liability with them, they would do you a good deal on the motor and vice versa. At times, they wouldn't quote either policy in isolation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

big syke wrote:
    FBD will quote direct through one of their local branches. Aviva (online, local branches), AIG, Liberty etc have an online presence and will deal directly. The direct channels are generally more profitable for insurance companies.

Be clear that you mean commercial motor. Don't quote my post that says no one does liability direct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

Be clear that you mean commercial motor. Don't quote my post that says no one does liability direct.

I mean commercial motor and commercial combined (liability, property etc). Private policies are a whole different animal.

I can't see your post that says no one does liability direct.

FBD for example will deal direct with Private, Commercial and Agri customers. Both Motor and non motor (standalone or together)

They will generally apply a discount on mutli policies (Private, Commercial and enhanced discounts/pricing for Agri customers).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I helped a friend (building contractor) find Employers/Public Liability insurance recently, got a good price online from https://cover365.ie.

As others have mentioned, vehicle will need separate cover. www.insuremyvan.ie provided the best quote for a builders van when we looked last week.

Advertisement