Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How should i train for the irish army fitness test?

Options
  • 19-01-2016 1:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

What would be the best way to get fit for this? I want to do amazingly on the fitness test to maximise my chances of getting in.Also, what other things must you go through after you apply for the army? I plan on applying as soon as they decide to recuit again.Any help would be greatly appreciated,
    Thanks,
    Nanoch.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

The entrance fitness test is pass or fail. You can do as well as you like but it's not scored beyond that. Do your twenty press ups and sit ups and you'll be stopped at that point no matter how many you can do. You've a bit more flexibility in the run but if you do seven minutes or eleven it won't make a difference. Just a pass. Now that said, one of the first things you'll probably do in training is the annual fitness test,which is as many press ups and sit ups as you can do in a minute and a 3.2k run, and that time is noted and scored. So if you want to stand out at that point, that's the way to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭azure

The entrance fitness test has a low failure rate. If someone is worried about a 1.5 mile run or just 20 press ups, then they won't have much hope of completing 17 weeks of training. As Conor Mcgregor might say you should be training all the time so that you will not have to prepare!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Nanoch

Ah come on now, being prepared is the intelligent thing to do, no need for that kind of carry on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭AllthingsCP

Run swim walk be healthy in general, good to be ready but think more the training so generally been healthy is a good start. No smoking give up the drink for a while eat good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

azure wrote: »
    The entrance fitness test has a low failure rate

No, it doesn't. It shouldn't, but lots of people are failing it, presumably because they're failing to prepare and assess themselves in advance. From seeing the fitness tests of the most recent batch of would-be recruits, people do need to be preparing for it, and people who otherwise look in good shape were failing, even if I don't know how.

• Advertisement
Advertisement