Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What light bulb.

Options
  • 19-01-2016 2:27pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have been trying for a while now to figure out what light bulb will fit in a light fitting. The place where this needs to be fitted is above a front door and its outside the house. I've tried in a number of shops but no one has the right light bulb.

See attached picture of where the bulb need to go in to - does anybody know the light bulb type that will fit in this fitting ?

It's a weird type fitting I have not seen before - almost looks as if the bulb has to have 2 indented holes (female) in order for it to fit.......but I haven't found anything suitable in the shops.

Any ideas ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭crasy dash

I don't see any picture or attachments in your post

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

crasy dash wrote: »
    I don't see any picture or attachments in your post

Hi,

I am trying to attach a pic but every time I try, it keeps crashing, boards has been acting up the last day or so..............so that be be something to do with it.

Will keep trying anyway

Picture now attached - hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭septictank

Not getting the picture yet.

Is it a square security light with a long thin bulb?

septictank wrote: »
    Not getting the picture yet.

Is it a square security light with a long thin bulb?

No, its not, its a circular hole.

dunno why the attachment wont open now, but as we know, boards has been plagued the last few days.

• Advertisement

I have attached the image twice now and still no luck, the attachment just does not open when you click on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I have attached the image twice now and still no luck, the attachment just does not open when you click on it.

Try postimage.org or tinypic or something and post the link.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Try postimage.org or tinypic or something and post the link.

mmm, very handy site, thanks

hopefully this works

mbhivku43

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

are you showing the picture to the people in the shop?

looks like a standard bayonet fitting to me just a Ceramic fitting for outdoors i guess

JoeySully wrote: »
    are you showing the picture to the people in the shop?

looks like a standard bayonet fitting to me just a Ceramic fitting for outdoors i guess

I am, and they are scratching their heads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Is that not just a standard bayonet clip bul b, unusual looking holder, but have you tried a standard bulb in it?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Is that not just a standard bayonet clip bul b, unusual looking holder, but have you tried a standard bulb in it?

Do you know what Colm, it bloody well could be, I didn't even bother trying a standard bulb as I just thought it would not fit, ill have a go with s standard bulb.

I feel like a spanner now, it is indeed a standard bulb that fits in it. :o

I balme the lads in the shops for not knowing :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Let us never speak of this again :)

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Let us never speak of this again :)

I think a moderator should just ban me for a month ; )

Im the OP and im back again. I'm hoping this post will not be as stupid as my initial one.

We have a Creda cooker and the light bulbs are gone above the hob, there are no light bulbs in there at all and I'm trying to find out what kind of bulb goes in.

Thing is, I don't know even know where the light bulb is supposed to go

See this link : http://postimg.org/image/bb8alqdoh/ (Picture is taken from underneath )

I have 2 arrows 1 and 2 pointing at areas, can anybody tell me

a ) Where the light bulb is supposed to go

b) What kind of light bulb is needed

Not a good week for me with light bulbs : )

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I'm actually having a similar problem but I gave up, so no not stupid! Should be just above the plastic panel at the back? Maybe stick the phone inside for a picture?

TheChizler wrote: »
    I'm actually having a similar problem but I gave up, so no not stupid! Should be just above the plastic panel at the back? Maybe stick the phone inside for a picture?

;)

Here is a close up of the back.

http://postimg.org/image/a1plgwsax/

Dosent even look as if a bulb will insert in to it, looks like a bulb has to screw around the outside of the black bit.................I think !

Is it an extract hood over the hob that the bulbs are missing in.

Standard bulb for them would be a 40w small Edison screw on mobile can't post picture.

I think if you look again see the metal pieces beside the arrows in your picture looks to me thats where the bulbs go they look like a holder not sure though

Is it an extract hood over the hob that the bulbs are missing in.

Standard bulb for them would be a 40w small Edison screw on mobile can't post picture.

I think if you look again see the metal pieces beside the arrows in your picture looks to me thats where the bulbs go they look like a holder not sure though

Hi. Crazy. Yes they are missing from an extract hood.

Here is a better close up.
    Looks like the middle of the hole is fecked though.

http://postimg.org/image/6hp1tnmkn/

• Advertisement

Had another look there. It's kinda awkward to get at etc but from what I am looking at, there is no way a bulb will screw in to the centre of this fitting. There is just no thread in there. There is thread alright around the outside but not sure if the bulb is meant to screw around the outside.

Its a strange one looks to me like the outside thread may have been for an outer protector for the bulb that's missing.

Have you just moved into the house?

If you can find a name and model on it that might help you find a manual for it.
    I see it is marked Delmore on it I'm not familiar with the brand.

Its a strange one looks to me like the outside thread may have been for an outer protector for the bulb that's missing.

Have you just moved into the house?

If you can find a name and model on it that might help you find a manual for it.
    I see it is marked Delmore on it I'm not familiar with the brand.

Moved in a while back. Landlord tried and failed with multiple bulbs but no luck and in the end just gave up, now I'm having a go myself.

The name of the cooker is a creda concept c462e. Don't know if this is what I need or if the fan is totally separate and nothing to do with cooker make and model.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Moved in a while back. Landlord tried and failed with multiple bulbs but no luck and in the end just gave up, now I'm having a go myself.

The name of the cooker is a creda concept c462e. Don't know if this is what I need or if the fan is totally separate and nothing to do with cooker make and model.

Try espares.co.uk. Browse around that site, they just might have your bulb(s).

Had a look at this again. Undid some screws and managed to free the bulb holder to have a look. Got the bulb holder free'd a bit (still connected via 2 wires) and what i think is happening is that the screw part of the bulb is still screwed in to the fitting. i.e. Looks like somebody just snapped off the old bulb with the glass part only and left the screw in part in the fitting. Dunno if that makes sense

My problem is now how to get this feckin bit of the bulb out of the fitting - don't want to electrocute meself in the process.

Had a look at this again. Undid some screws and managed to free the bulb holder to have a look. Got the bulb holder free'd a bit (still connected via 2 wires) and what i think is happening is that the screw part of the bulb is still screwed in to the fitting. i.e. Looks like somebody just snapped off the old bulb with the glass part only and left the screw in part in the fitting. Dunno if that makes sense

My problem is now how to get this feckin bit of the bulb out of the fitting - don't want to electrocute meself in the process.

Mains voltage can be lethal so if you dont feel compeatent get somebody to look at the bulb holders for you.

If you have a multimeter or can get hold of one use it dont use a phase tester

As its an hood the lights are in it,the unit might be just plugged into a socket on top of a press or via a pur etc if you see something like this just unplug it and work away.

If not your going to have to find the cicuit feeding it and isolate it while you can try to remove the threaded part of the bulb with a long nose pliers gently gripping the threaded part and undoing it

You can try finding the circuit by turning the hood on and then turning off each mcb individually at the mcb board unit you hear it switching off.

Probably more than likely the bulb you need is one of these

I found a plug above the job and unplugged it and when I do so it stops the fan from working. So I'm thinking this is also the thing that powers the lights. So I think I should be good to go with taking out old bulbs.

You should be fine if you found the plug :)

Just take your time and be gentle when trying to remove the old damaged bulbs and you will get them out let us know how you get on any electrical shop should have them more than likely a 40w ses bulb only cost a couple of euro

You should be fine if you found the plug :)

Just take your time and be gentle when trying to remove the old damaged bulbs and you will get them out let us know how you get on any electrical shop should have them more than likely a 40w ses bulb only cost a couple of euro

Thank you very much.

Finally fixed it. Here are the culprits removed

http://postimg.org/image/4fdt9ps5x/

When the landlord attempted fixing this, he bought about 6 different bulbs and the right type one was here already, he left a bag of them..... So all sorted now and working on 40w.

Which makes me think, how in the fook was the landlord even trying to screw these bulbs in when there was butts of bulbs screwed in already.........

• Advertisement

Glad you got it sorted:) and you didnt electrocute yourself either:pac:

Advertisement