Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Free wok @ Super Valu - buy 3 Uncle Bens products

• 20-01-2016 10:15pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭

I saw this promotion in Super Valu Sundrive Road tonight. Buy 3 Uncle Bens products get a free wok. I bought 3 x microwave rice and got a wok which I've needed for a while.

Not bad for free.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Mark..

Cheers! Picked one up there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Ah, my current free Uncle Ben's wok has seen better days. Might be time to replace it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I could do with a wok! Anyone know if they're OK to use on an induction hob?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

I could do with a wok! Anyone know if they're OK to use on an induction hob?

On the packaging it says they can't be used on induction hobs. And they also can't go in the dishwasher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Would love to get this but there's no Super Valu anywhere near me :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

FanadMan wrote: »
    Would love to get this but there's no Super Valu anywhere near me :(

I won't be home to Fanad for a month... Otherwise I'd pick u up one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    On the packaging it says they can't be used on induction hobs. And they also can't go in the dishwasher.

I've been putting mine in the dishwasher for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭garyskeepers

was this just for yesterday or are they still available today ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

FanadMan wrote:
    Would love to get this but there's no Super Valu anywhere near me

Eurospar are also doing this offer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

Whats the min outlay on average to get one?

Usually get the aldi/Lidl micro rice for about 99c a bag, no idea of the price of uncle Benjamin's.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

I bought 3 x microwaveable rice @ 1.50 each. I think that's the cheapest product they had on the stands, the rest were jars of sauces etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Cheers for the info!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

These are hideous crap, pressed steel, unstable on the hob etc. However, mine's still not broken... Got given it free by an independent shop I use a lot when buying something else entirely unrelated though.

Great marketing idea - most people will probably buy 3x sauces or similar for more than the 1.50; and then a decent % will probably decide to try something more complicated and buy the jar for it just because they have the wok now and need to use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Got one of these many years ago and it's not bad at all for a for a free wok :)

For anyone doing some serious cooking, you might want to invest in a better one. Do a bit of reading up as there are many different views out there. Mine is a very heavy cast iron one and I'm happy with it. One drawback is that you need to have it on the highest flame for quite some time before it is hot enough to start using it

And for anyone using an induction hob inquiring about using a wok - best kill yourself right now before the culinary police will haunt you down and stone you :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Got one of these many years ago and it's not bad at all for a for a free wok :)

For anyone doing some serious cooking, you might want to invest in a better one. Do a bit of reading up as there are many different views out there. Mine is a very heavy cast iron one and I'm happy with it. One drawback is that you need to have it on the highest flame for quite some time before it is hot enough to start using it

And for anyone using an induction hob inquiring about using a wok - best kill yourself right now before the culinary police will haunt you down and stone you :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11 MrAviation

No fwoking way
    Going to pick one up myself today :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

Wok a great offer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

these are usually ****, wok away.

cplwhisper wrote: »
    I won't be home to Fanad for a month... Otherwise I'd pick u up one

Thanks cpl - got one yesterday in Whoriskeys in Ramelton. Just about to try it out ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

s8n wrote: »
    Wok a great offer
    Got one Saturday with 2 quick rice packets. It's a 3 yo yos wok If I get a year out of it it will have paid for itself.

• Advertisement

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Got one Saturday with 2 quick rice packets. It's a 3 yo yos wok If I get a year out of it it will have paid for itself.

Was just thinking, when I got mine the cashier only charged me for 2 jars of sauce so I really got a good deal :)

Tried it today - as the label said to use a low to medium flame I did. Took no time to heat up to useable temp so guess it's not going to last a long time. Don't really care - it cost me less than €5 :pac:

And as a report of how it worked - heated quick and nothing stuck so well happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,726 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Saw these in my local dunes yesterday while doing my weekly shopping the 3 uncle Ben's products would be included in the €10 off a €50 shop so potentially a 20% saving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Saw them but very light. Didn't bother as they were such poor quality. Better to pay the price and get a decent one. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,726 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

maringo wrote: »
    Saw them but very light. Didn't bother as they were such poor quality. Better to pay the price and get a decent one. :(

I'm sure if you went to the various pound shops you could pay 3 or 4 euro for the same product (minus the uncle bens logo)

Would that make you happier?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I'm sure if you went to the various pound shops you could pay 3 or 4 euro for the same product (minus the uncle bens logo)

Would that make you happier?

I doubt he would be happy with the same one. Decent ones can be got in some Asian supermarkets.

I have had 2 or 3 uncle bens free woks. They are pretty bad as woks, which are supposed to be using very high temps, so I would be dubious about any wok with a nonstick coating.

They are however great for use as a low temp frying pan, as the high & wide walls prevents splashing. So good for fried eggs or doing toasted/fried sandwiches where you are not using high temps.

I use one of the old ones to hold damp absorbing crystals (dehumidifying crystals). You can recharge them repeatedly by boiling off the moisture and the wide area of the wok is good for both boiling off and reabsorbing moisture in the air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Used mine a few times . its grand.
    Used to be the man ensuring these reached the shops many years ago.... An absolute nightmare !

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭colcatscar

rubadub wrote: »
    I doubt he would be happy with the same one. Decent ones can be got in some Asian supermarkets.

I have had 2 or 3 uncle bens free woks. They are pretty bad as woks, which are supposed to be using very high temps, so I would be dubious about any wok with a nonstick coating.

Are these any good for thwowing at wabbits???:D:D:D (Couldn't wesist!!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭smallgarden

Sorry for bringing up old thread but was just wondering if anyones seen this offer still available in south/west dublin area.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Juxtapose

They were still available in Knocklyon Super Valu as of last Thursday.

Will be up there tomorrow and can check if its handy for you :confused:

• Advertisement

Juxtapose wrote: »
    They were still available in Knocklyon Super Valu as of last Thursday.

Will be up there tomorrow and can check if its handy for you :confused:

Thatd be great thanks,were they obvious to find?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Also in Dunnes nationwide

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭luapeffaat

Sorry for bringing up old thread but was just wondering if anyones seen this offer still available in south/west dublin area.

Available in the Spar by Slatterys Pub in Beggars Bush. Had a tonne of them left yesterday

Picked one up in dunnes in the square today thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 31 4oyo

This offer has returned, buy any 3 Uncle Bens products at SuperValu and get a fee Wok. There was loads of them stacked up earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

On the packaging it says they can't be used on induction hobs.

but 99% of electric cookers have induction hobs:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭JakeBell

fryup wrote: »
    An induction hob is different to an electric hob.

I for one am happy this offer is out again. Got one last time and have used it a lot. But the coating is finally starting to come off so it's time to invest in some more jars. I don't like them but my dad loves them so win win :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

fryup wrote: »

No they don't - induction is still fairly rare. Ceramic is probably dominant on new cookers and bog standard rings on older

If you've an induction hob you can afford a suitable wok!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭DERICKOO

FanadMan wrote: »
    I for one am happy this offer is out again. Got one last time and have used it a lot. But the coating is finally starting to come off so it's time to invest in some more jars. I don't like them but my dad loves them so win win :)

I have had two of these over the last year one from S.VALUE and one Dunnes.
    Coating comes off after a few uses i would be concerned now by this flaking off and consuming the coating.
    For that reason alone i will for one give it a miss.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭Boggy Turf

Do not buy this wok. It's crap.

Always invest in a good quality wok if you like stir fries.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Boggy Turf wrote: »
    Do not buy this wok. It's crap.

Always invest in a good quality wok if you like stir fries.

I find the woks in the Chinese cash and carry's to be great, they're the traditional style sold with no coating on them, like you would see being used by street food vendors in SE Asia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

I got mine almost a year ago and it's only in the last few weeks that it started peeling. For the price of three jars of sauce that were used and enjoyed, I'd consider the wok really good value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Limited life wok. You get what you pay for in terms of quality and in this case it doesn't last too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭Boggy Turf

testicles wrote: »

Free but badly made and unhealthy (unless your body thrives on eating metal coating)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭yannakis

Boggy Turf wrote: »
    Free but badly made and unhealthy (unless your body thrives on eating metal coating)

If it starts peeling, it goes to the bin :confused::confused:

By the way (for those who got it) (for free) don't use it in the highest heat setting to extend the life of the coating.

Edit: got it as well from Rathborne, but the cheapest items were between 2.50-3.00.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

Its buy one uncle bens product in my local SuperValu, don't know if its nation wide, maybe there trying to get rid of stock?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

testicles wrote: »
    My definition is pretty simple -if you have to pay money to get something then it's not free.

I said before this wok is OK for light cooking, like eggs, but most stuff traditionally cooked in a wok is meant to be done at very high temp. Even a top brand wok with a traditional non-stick coating would be unsuitable. Most non stick coatings like teflon are simply inherently bad at high temps.

Advertisement