Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much did LoZ: Ocarina of Time cost to make?

Options
  • 21-01-2016 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

My housemate is playing The Last of Us for PS3 and I was intersted in how much that cost to make. It was 100 million. I got me thinking how much old games for the likes of the N64 cost to make back in the day. I wanted to know how much did Zelda Ocarina of Time cost to develope? Since that was one of the first big production looking game I played and it's still my favorite game to this day.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You probably won't find any information about Ocarina of Time. Nintendo are kind of secretive about that stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

As a reference point, the development budget for FFVII was reported to be around $45 million, with a marketing budget of up to $100m. Ocarina of Time was developed around the same time and is on a similar scale, so that's probably not a bad yardstick.

Nintendo, like all Limited companies, release an annual financial report. If you could get your hands on the ones from 1997 / 1998 you might be able to glean something, but I doubt they get that granular.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,960 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

As a reference point, the development budget for FFVII was reported to be around $45 million, with a marketing budget of up to $100m. Ocarina of Time was developed around the same time and is on a similar scale, so that's probably not a bad yardstick.

Remember to factor in inflation too. I just had a quick go at an inflation calculator and it puts 45m in 1995 to 70m in 2015.

Actually didn't OOT come out in 98? Woopsy! You get the idea though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

About three fitty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Where was it stated that the budget for Last of Us being 100 mill?
    How much of that was dev costs and how much promotional?

Factor in that Nintendo (i'm assuming) had to build a new engine for LoZ whereas Naughty Dog enhanced the existing Uncharted engine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ocarina of Time was actually an enhanced Mario 64 engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,458 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

funnily enough I was looking at this earlier to see if Star Citizen was the most expensive PC game but it is 2nd behind SW:TOR

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_video_games_to_develop

Advertisement