Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking Club Classics #1 Whispered's Veg'n lasagna

Options
  • 21-01-2016 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

My lasagne recipe, it's vegan by necessity due to allergies but dairy can be used too.

It's really a great dish for using whatever you have so the ingredients are not at all exact.

For tonight's base I used:
    2 courgettes
    1 aubergine
    3 peppers
    1 red onion
    5 chestnut mushrooms
    6 garlic cloves
    Handful cherry tomatoes
    1 tin plum tomatoes
    1/3 tube tomato puree
    Loads of dried oregano (by loads I'd say 3 tbsp but I just poured tbh)
    Loads dry basil
    Sprinkle Rosemary
    Sprinkle chilli flakes
    Sprinkle black pepper.

Chop veg into chunks, thinly slice the garlic. I much prefer the veg sauce when it cooks for a long time so I used the slow cooker. Throw into slow cooker along with the herbs, tomato purée and tinned tomatoes. Mix well and cook on low for 5hrs. If you are using a pot and want it done quicker simmer it all until the veg are soft and the sauce has thickened. (Maybe 40 mins but judge by eye).

For the white sauce I used sunflower spread, almond milk and didn't add cheese because my little fella has an allergy to dairy. Tasted great but works as well, if not better, using dairy.

White sauce: 1oz dairy free spread
    1oz plain flour
    1 tbsp olive oil (if using real butter I think you can leave this out. Some of the dairy free spread seems to be water and evaporates so needed the oil added to make the roux.)
    500ml almond milk
    Grated nutmeg.

Melt butter
    Add in flour and stir well. If necessary add the oil until you have a roux.
    Cook this on a medium heat for 2-3 mins, keep it moving in the saucepan.
    Take off the heat and slowly add the milk, whisking all the time. Grate in some nutmeg. (I did about 7 runs down the grater) Back on the heat and simmer for about 10 mins, stirring often.

Layer veg, pasta sheet (vegan sheets available in most supermarkets), veg, pasta, white sauce.
    Bake 30 mins at 190 (or until pasta is soft)

Serve with your side of choice. We had garlic and rosemary roast baby potatoes and a carrot and red onion coleslaw.

Notes: If you have black olives throw a handful in with the veg after the slow cooker. The saltiness makes up for a lack of cheese. Also lovely to serve olives in a salad on the side.

We got dinner for the baby, myself and my husband with half still left so works out cheap too.

arItX57.jpg?1

JAKy1Xc.jpg?1

16uYGTn.jpg?1

Advertisement