Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fiocchi vmax .223 hard to get???

Options
  • 21-01-2016 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

Any know where I can get the above. My two local RFDs are out and a couple of other places have none going by there web sites.
    One of my RFDs told me that the factory they come from is shut down for construction, and that is is two hard to get them on from USA so it would be at least July when he has them. Now i don't know if this is bull or what but I can't get them anyway.
    Even one box would keep me going for now.
    Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Sportsden in Navan had them a few weeks ago. They post them also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Tikka391 wrote: »
    One of my RFDs told me that the factory they come from is shut down for construction, and that is is two hard to get them on from USA so it would be at least July when he has them. Now i don't know if this is bull or what but I can't get them anyway.
    Even one box would keep me going for now.
    Many thanks.

That story sounds about as far fetched as a bucket of **** from China.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Tikka391

That story sounds about as far fetched as a bucket of **** from China.

Thanks and very sorry about slow reply I couldn't log in for some reason.
    Yea I thought so too but that's what he told me.

I was ringing around the gun shops I was talking to a lad, mcbride I think, he has horandy 55g sp,50 box €49, so same piece as the fiocchi. Seems good value and cheaper than horandy vmax, are they as good on the fox.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

I was ringing around the gun shops I was talking to a lad, mcbride I think, he has horandy 55g sp,50 box €49, so same piece as the fiocchi. Seems good value and cheaper than horandy vmax, are they as good on the fox.

Never used them, but seem to remember someone here saying they weren't that accurate. Probably good enough accuracy for fox and certainly plenty good enough to kill, but you would probably be disappointed with them after using vmax.

Vmax is devastating with instant knockdown. Hp will need good placement to knock instantly. Hp will kill well, don't get me wrong, but vmax is like an explosion inside fox.

Better to pay the extra for hornady vmax until fiocchi come back in stock imho.

• Advertisement

yubabill1 wrote: »
    Never used them, but seem to remember someone here saying they weren't that accurate. Probably good enough accuracy for fox and certainly plenty good enough to kill, but you would probably be disappointed with them after using vmax.

Vmax is devastating with instant knockdown. Hp will need good placement to knock instantly. Hp will kill well, don't get me wrong, but vmax is like an explosion inside fox.

Better to pay the extra for hornady vmax until fiocchi come back in stock imho.

Thanks for that. Wonder about the accuracy would there be much difference in two horandy types, the odd shot would be long enough 150-180 but most a lot less, id want to be sure and have confidence in chosen bullet me thinks.

Nobody seems very sure if or when the fiocchi is common back in. Wonder why

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭270WIN

Thanks for that. Wonder about the accuracy would there be much difference in two horandy types, the odd shot would be long enough 150-180 but most a lot less, id want to be sure and have confidence in chosen bullet me thinks.

Nobody seems very sure if or when the fiocchi is common back in. Wonder why

I wonder would it have anything to do with the fact that dealers have large stocks of dearer hornady stuff that does not sell that well when they have the cheaper fiocchi????;)

270WIN wrote: »
    I wonder would it have anything to do with the fact that dealers have large stocks of dearer hornady stuff that does not sell that well when they have the cheaper fiocchi????;)

Yea more than likely

A friend just text me about his local gun shop that have horandy 55g hp steel match 35€/ 50box. Any advice on these, they not much more than the price of20 vmax.
    I am going to try and change zero up to 200m so there might be pleanty of shooting and practice shots so value for money is important. On the other hand so is accuracy when trying to zero I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

A friend just text me about his local gun shop that have horandy 55g hp steel match 35€/ 50box. Any advice on these, they not much more than the price of20 vmax.
    I am going to try and change zero up to 200m so there might be pleanty of shooting and practice shots so value for money is important. On the other hand so is accuracy when trying to zero I suppose.

They are a target round and wouldn't be suitable for hunting at all. Match round, not expandable.

• Advertisement

amadablam wrote: »
    They are a target round and wouldn't be suitable for hunting at all. Match round, not expandable.

Thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭RossiFan08

I bought two boxes of these recently for mainly plinking and practise and from my experience that is all they are good for. While they are HP and Hornady states they can be used for hunting I wouldn't. From the two boxes of 50 I had 2 misfires in each. 2 one after another!!

While a heavier striker pin might help, I have never had a issue with other ammo (American Eagle, PPU, Federal, Fiocchi or hornady V-Max) and other guys have the same issues with misfires using the steel match

From what I believe the the case and primer are made in Russia and then shipped to America for the powder and bullet. So even thought the rounds are hornady the primer may not be of the same quality as their V-Max stuff

RossiFan08 wrote: »
    I bought two boxes of these recently for mainly plinking and practise and from my experience that is all they are good for. While they are HP and Hornady states they can be used for hunting I wouldn't. From the two boxes of 50 I had 2 misfires in each. 2 one after another!!

While a heavier striker pin might help, I have never had a issue with other ammo (American Eagle, PPU, Federal, Fiocchi or hornady V-Max) and other guys have the same issues with misfires using the steel match

From what I believe the the case and primer are made in Russia and then shipped to America for the powder and bullet. So even thought the rounds are hornady the primer may not be of the same quality as their V-Max stuff

Many thanks. Think I will stick to vmax so.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Hunter456

irish shooting sports has them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Dom Byrne has them. Got a box Saturday.

Dom Byrne has them. Got a box Saturday.

What do you make of them ( reliability/ accuracy). What do you use them for. Would you agree with not using them on foxes. Some say do, some say don't.

There not going through my rifle.

There going in my mates he libels them. And drops foxs on the spot.

There not going through my rifle.

There going in my mates he libels them. And drops foxs on the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Was in one store lately in Athlone and out of stock and not expecting fiocchi in for 5 months. Got a box in McBride in ballykeernan however which is only 5 mins out the road

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭lefthooker

Was in one store lately in Athlone and out of stock and not expecting fiocchi in for 5 months. Got a box in McBride in ballykeernan however which is only 5 mins out the road

Heard something similar yesterday, might be no Fiocchi ammo due in for a few months. Think Fiocchi use Hornady bullets and there's a problem with Hornady and ITAR.

• Advertisement
Advertisement